Estrogen, a hormone predominately found in women, help in numerous physiological and neurological activities among females. This female hormone is responsible for heightened sexual desire, stronger bones, good moods and heightened brain functions in women. For men, Testosterone is the main hormone responsible for sexual drive and neurological functions. However, as the year's pass, and men start to age, estrogen starts developing in the male body alarmingly. Testosterone in men turns into estrogen through an enzymatic process called Aromatase. As estrogen keeps on increasing, the male body experiences certain erratic functions in the body, like mood swings, erectile dysfunction, loss of sexual drive, impotence, and even formation of breasts (Gynecomastia).
The reason for this sudden change in the male body is however unknown, but it is associated with age, weight and an unhealthy lifestyle.
Though estrogen is always present in men in a tiny amount, it can rapidly increase with age. Here are some of the symptoms to look out for.
● Overweight: Increase of estrogen in the body is directly proportional to the weight of the body. Weight loss can help in controlling estrogen levels in the body.
● Depression: The loss of testosterone and the increase of estrogen in the body will disturb the mind of a man to a great extent. A person might feel anxiety, depression and mood swings. On the other hand, testosterone is usually characterized by increased energy.
● Formation of breasts: Increasing the amount of estrogen in the bloodstream may cause breasts in men. These aren’t the same kind of fat flabs formed because of weight; rather these are firmer and more protruded.
● Erectile Dysfunction: A loss of testosterone will lead to erectile dysfunction in men as testosterone is the main hormone responsible for sexual drive.
● Impotency: Increased estrogen in a male body will result in female-like features in men and loss of testosterone. This may, in some cases, lead to permanent impotence in males.
Though there isn’t a permanent solution to this problem, the estrogen levels can be maintained.
● Exercise: Regular exercises may increase the testosterone levels in a male
● Multivitamins can also help in testosterone production in the body
● If all else fails, there are always testosterone supplements one can get.
Conclusion: High Estrogen levels in men can cause a lot of problems and this keeps elevating with age. However, these problems can be managed if not cured. Visit the doctor to get the proper guidance on how to maintain proper hormonal level in the body.