What are dark circles?
Dark circles are shadowy patches under or around the eyes.This can make your face look aged, tired and discoloured. Dark circles may also be accompanied by puffy eyelids and redness of eyes.
What are the causes of dark circles?
- Emotional stress such as anxiety and depression
- Inadequate sleep, as a result of staying up too late or suffering from insomnia
- As a result of some prolonged sickness
- Excessive caffeine consumption
- Alcohol abuse
- Exposure and damage due to ultra violet radiation
- Drug abuse
- Not removing make up properly
- An unhealthy diet which lacks the necessary nutrients
- Melasma or hyperpigmentation
How can dark circles be removed naturally?
- It is important to get enough sleep. A minimum of 7-8hours of sleep should be sufficient to rejuvenate and replenish your body cells.
- Drink water. The optimum level of hydration helps to prevent dark circles and many other body disorders.
- A balanced diet helps to renew cell growth, repairs worn out tissues and slows down the ageing process.
- Light massage promotes blood flow and improves circulation.
- It is important to quit smoking and reduce alcohol consumption.
- A cold compress helps to rejuvenate tired eyes.
- Green teabags help to reduce the darkening around the eyes.
- Cucumber slices also help to remove dark eye circles.
What treatments are available for removing dark circles?
- Medicated eye creams especially, those containing retinol, azelaic acid, hyaluronic acid, hydroquinone and vitamin C
- Chemical peeling that is especially, directed at the area around the eyes
- Microdermabrasions a non-invasive non-chemical technique that makes use of a spray of micro-crystals in order to remove the superficial layer of dry and dead skin cells.
- Platelet rich plasma therapy is a new modality of treatment for under eye dark circles in which platelets separated from the patient’s own blood is injected in the area around the eyes, which then releases growth factors to give a more youthful appearance.
- Radiofrequency skin tightening.
- Fillers are often used to smoothen the skin, giving it a more youthful look.
- Carboxytherapy is a non-surgical cosmetic treatment. It makes use of injections which inject gaseous Carbon-dioxide into the skin’s subcutaneous tissues through a needle.
- Intense pulse light therapy (IPL) is a non-ablative and a non-invasive mode of treatment that uses high intensity waves (pulse) of visible light to improve problems such as age lines, wrinkles, freckles, age spots and other blemishes.
- Cheek lift sometimes corrects dark circles
For the complete treatment of dark circles, it is important that a holistic approach is taken towards finding out the cause and customizing the treatment plan.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!