What is dandruff?
It is a non-contagious and not a serious condition in which the skin of the scalp becomes dry or greasy and dead skin is shed as flakes which are seen in hair and shoulders. Although harmless but dandruff can cause an embarrassing situation. People who have dandruff usually have accelerated cell cycle in which cells of the scalp grow fast and shed fast.
Risk factors for dandruff:
Anyone can get dandruff, but there are a few factors that raise your risk:
- Age: dandruff usually starts developing after puberty in early adulthood and continues till middle adulthood but for some people it is a lifelong thing.
- Male preponderance: males are more affected by dandruff then females.
- Too oily or too dry scalp: can cause dandruff.
- Certain illnesses: those with neurological and compromised immune system disorders are more prone to have dandruff.
- Stress: stress may also lead to development of dandruff as stress makes you susceptible to catch many issues of health.
Symptoms & causes
Appearance of white, oily flakes of dead skin in hair and shoulders along with irritation and itching of scalp.
Dandruff can have several causes like:
- Seborrheic dermatitis: it is a condition of skin which affects skin areas rich in oil glands like scalp, eyebrows, sides of nose, armpits, chest. It also causes dandruff and scalp is marked by red, greasy skin covered by white or yellow flakes.
- Malassezia: this is a yeast like fungal infection in which irritates the scalp and causes cell growth which shed off early causing dandruff.
- Not washing hair regularly: if scalp is not cleaned regularly it may cause dandruff.
- Contact dermatitis: sensitivity to hair care products may cause dandruff.
- Dry skin: those who have dry skin have small dry flakes on scalp.
Diagnosis & treatment
Visual appearance alone is enough for diagnosis of dandruff.
- Treatment usually includes good shampoo and advice on maintaining the causative factors and risk factors for the dandruff.
- Although in homeopathy issues like dandruff can be maintained very easily by medicines which are quite effective in treating dandruff once and for all.
- Shampoo often: keeping the scalp clean would help get rid of dandruff.
- Manage stress: stress attracts many ailments in the body and could be a reason of dandruff. So try to manage stress.
- Sun exposure: little exposure to sun might help in getting rid of dandruff.
- Apply tea tree oil: tea tree oil helps in getting rid of dandruff and keeps the scalp healthy.
- Drink water: drinking enough water might help in improving the skin of the scalp.
- Avoid harsh shampoos: as they may destroy the skin further.
Homeopathic medicines are very helpful in treatment of dandruff. Medicines like silicea, sulphur, natrum mur, psorinum etc treat dandruff very well. But the medicines should always be taken after consulting a homeopath.
Do's and don'ts
- Shampoo often.
- Apply tea tree oil.
- Do meditation and exercise to manage stress.
- Drink enough water.
- Go out in sun.
- Eat healthy diet.
- Don’t overexpose to sun.
- Don’t use harsh shampoo.