A lifestyle disease such as diabetes is never nice to have, isn’t it? Hence, when a person is suffering from diabetes, he/she must include something to his diet and cut off consumption of some specific foods to avoid serious health hazards. So, what should be the diet for a person suffering from diabetes? Have a look at the options:
Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day as it kicks off the metabolism for the day. Having a large breakfast is quite important so as to take care of the body, but this only makes sense if the food that is being eaten for breakfast is healthy enough. It is quite a good idea to have some porridge. While it is true that porridge is a carbohydrate-rich food item, what it also has a great amount of soluble fibre. In fact, this sort of fibre takes some time to digest, so it reduces the pangs of hunger, which would have normally made a person eat unhealthy junk and fast food.
In a world of food that is processed, packaged and picked up from the supermarket, people are just not eating the correct amount of fruits and vegetables as they should. What is important to keep in mind is that vegetables are to be had in multiple portions on a daily basis, but these vegetables must be low in starch content. This means that for a person who has diabetes, vegetables which should not be eaten include potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas as well as corn.
On the other hand, the sort of vegetables which are to be eaten includes broccoli and spinach. Spinach is also very good for increasing the level of haemoglobin in the blood. Also, making use of cinnamon extract is good as it has the potential to cut a person’s sugar levels by up to a tenth.
While it is not true that potatoes and other starchy foods should be completely avoided, a diabetic person should watch the amount of them that is being consumed by him or her. The reason for this is that starch-filled vegetables have high amounts of carbohydrates, which are generally responsible for raising the level of blood sugar. This is surely the last thing a diabetic person would want or need.
If you notice, strawberries have some sugar content, but they are a lot better than biscuits and other snacks. So in case a diabetic person wants to nibble on something, sweet fruits are always a better option.
Green tea has come up as a boon for people around the world as it has a solution for various health issues, with weight loss being the most prominent among them. But the question is, if people are actually able to take benefit from it or not? To ensure maximum benefits, people must know how much is recommended, and how does it actually help in weight loss? Read on to know more about the magic wand called green tea.
When you are brewing a cup of green tea, the tea leaves that are used get converted into their active form after coming in touch with the hot water, which is when it gets beneficial.
Given that it is a new entrant to the food table, more research is still being done, but the fact remains that it definitely aids in weight loss. In addition to weight loss, there are various other benefits and so reach out for that cup of green tea!
Anorexia is one of the most common eating disorders plaguing a large section of today's youth. Anorexia is one such condition which arises as a psychological ailment and then culminates as serious physical manifestations. One of the most prominent preconditions of anorexia is the severe dissatisfaction with your body. The desire to lose weight constantly reigns supreme in your mind. So much so, that all that you can permit yourself to eat and all that you can't preoccupies your mind entirely. This extensively impairs your social life and threatens your potential in all other aspects of life. This undermines your health and self-confidence tremendously and inflicts a distorted body image complex upon your psyche.
Under the spell of anorexia, you tend to dread even the slightest weight gain and consequently, it builds a sense of self-disgust in you. It can be an extremely stressful and harmful physical condition, gravely affecting your moments of joy and happiness. Drastic diets, excruciating exercising or using laxatives and diuretics could be some of the most common leeways into anorexia. The terror which looms around your weight gain will disable you from acknowledging how thin you are or for that matter, appreciating the body that you have. This may not only jeopardize your normal body functioning but also subjugate you to acute emotional distress and depression. What is worse is that anorexia works in such insidious ways that in most cases, one doesn't even realize the existence of the problem. The first and foremost step to recovery is to avoid anything and everything that may trigger the condition. Other recourses that one may take have been enlisted below.
1. Realizing the difference between dieting and anorexia
Anorexia often indicates deeper problems like depression and insecurities and the eating disorder simply emerges as a consequence of the same. Dieting does not entail an austere denial of food to self or completely throttling all of one's hunger pangs. Fulfilling the basic nutritional needs of your body as against starvation is the first step to recovery.
2. Seeking advice from well-wishers
If your loved ones seem perplexed about your health conditions, know all of it is well founded. Learn to acknowledge the furzy body images that afflicts you and take proactive steps towards combating them. Share your problems with your trusted ones and learn to adopt a healthier way of living. Join some productive engagement that will keep your mind off such baseless weight obsession.
Congestion can occur in any part of the human body. Nasal congestion, throat congestion, and head congestion are some of the common types of congestion. Know about these congestions in details:
Nasal congestion: Nasal congestion is also referred to as a stuffy nose. It happens when the nose and alongside tissues and vessels that carry blood get swollen due to the inadequate fluid leading to the feeling of stuffiness. There is a possibility that you have nasal congestion but there is no sign of running nose or nasal discharge. Older children and adults generally get annoyed with nasal congestion. Nasal congestion can create a serious problem for children. The sleep of children may get disturbed due to nasal congestion. You may have a hard time to feed infants when they have nasal congestion.
Nasal congestion can occur due to anything that inflames or irritates the tissues of nasal. The various possible causes of nasal congestion that can lead to a runny nose are infections including flu, sinusitis, or cold, allergies and irritants including tobacco smoke. Some people may have a chronic runny nose for no reason. This situation is known as vasomotor rhinitis or nonallergic rhinitis. A tumor or polyps can lead to nasal congestion, but it is less common. Check out various possible causes of nasal congestion:
- Ceratin medications including high blood pressure medicines can lead to nasal congestion.
- Tobacco smoke and drug addiction can lead to nasal congestion.
- A common cold is the common cause of nasal congestion.
- Overuse of decongestant nasal spray may lead to nasal congestion.
- Chronic sinusitis and acute sinusitis both can be the cause of nasal congestion.
- A foreign object in the nose can lead to nasal congestion.
- Nasal polyps can be a cause of nasal congestion, though it is rare.
- Nonallergic rhinitis and allergies are the potential causes of a runny nose.
- Thyroid disorders, pregnancy, stress, enlarged adenoids, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), occupational asthma, influenza (flu), hormonal changes, deviated septum, Churg-Strauss syndrome, and granulomatosis with polyangiitis are some of the other possible causes of nasal congestion.
Is it important to see a doctor in case of nasal congestion?
A runny or stuffy nose generally irritates people. Sometimes it can lead to a serious problem especially when an infant is suffering from nasal congestion. You should see a doctor in the following cases:
- If you have nasal congestion for more than 10 days.
- If you are having a high temperature or fever.
- If there is blood in the nasal discharge or continuous clear discharge after an injury to the head.
- If your child has not even completed 2 months and is suffering from a fever.
- If your baby is facing difficulty in breathing due to nasal congestion or a runny nose.
Throat congestion: Throat congestion generally occurs when the throat lining gets swollen and inflamed. There can be many causes of throat congestion including bacterial or viral infection, sinus infection or a common cold. Due to throat congestion, you may face problem in drinking, eating, and breathing. An infection in the respiratory tract or allergy can cause the mucus to increase in the chest, which reaches the throat making it sore. It is a common problem and can affect both adults and children.
Check out the various possible cause of throat congestion:
- A common cold or the flu can lead to throat congestion easily.
- Environmental factors are also responsible for causing throat congestion. These factors include inhaling chemical fumes or polluted or smoke-filled air. It can lead to an increase in phlegm or mucus in the throat.
In order to treat the problem of throat congestion, you should drink a lot of fluids including juice, water, or honey tea. Gargling with warm salt water would help you to reduce the congestion in the throat. For draining and clearing the mucus in the throat and chest, you should inhale steam from a basin of boiling water with some oil of eucalyptus in it. A lot of prescription medications and over-the-counter medications are available that will provide you relief from the pain. Though, there can be some side effects of these medications. Check out some other tips that will help you to reduce the symptoms of congestion in the throat:
- You should eat a healthy and balanced diet. You should not eat foods which are high in fat.
- You should drink plenty of water in order to re-hydrate the membranes of the mucus in the throat and keep the throat moist.
- You should avoid those areas which have smoke-filled or polluted air.
- You should have the juice of vegetables and fruits.
- You should increase the intake of bioflavonoids and vitamin C in order to boost the immune system.
- You should wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water especially before starting a meal and after coming from outside.
- You should gargle with warm salt water to give relief to your throat.
- You may use products like Mucus-Clear. They help you to get temporary relief from signs or symptoms of inadequate mucus or throat congestion.
- You should not share your personal items with others including towels, drinking and eating utensils, and toothbrushes.
- You should inhale steam from a bowl of boiling water with some eucalyptus oil in it to eliminate mucus in the throat and throat congestion.
- You should avoid dairy products as they can make the mucus thick which can make your throat congestion worse.
Head congestion can make your life miserable; it is seriously a bad condition. Due to head congestion, people are not able to breathe properly which can disturb their daily activities as well as sleep. You can have an abnormally heavy feeling in your head which may lead to sinus pain and aches in the head. As soon as you discover that you have head congestion, you should reach out to the best doctor. Early diagnosis will help you to get early treatment. There are four pairs of sinuses inside the head. The job of them is to filter, warm, and moisten the air that you are taking in. It helps to protect your body from viruses, bacteria, and various allergens. In this system, sinuses use the mucus. The mucus can become thick and inadequate due to a number of factors and after some time creates a blockage in the sinuses leading to head congestion.
There can be various symptoms or signs of head congestion including:
- Due to head congestion, you can face a difficulty in breathing which may lead to coughing also.
- Due to an accumulation of mucus, there is a possibility that you may feel a sore throat as the mucus goes down your throat and annoys your flesh.
- Due to an infection in the sinuses, the accumulated mucus may spread the infection to the ears while reaching down the throat.
- The pressure of clogged sinuses may lead to headaches. This pain can reach to the cheeks and even the jaw.
- You may face a problem with the nose breathing due to head congestion.
Home remedies and medical treatments for Congestion:
Check out various home remedies and treatment options that may help you to clear your sinuses and breathe properly without any difficulty:
- You should use a humidifier, especially when you are sleeping. It helps to break up the mucus which would help in clearing and draining out congestion in the head.
- There are some herbal teas that will help you to get relief from the symptoms of head congestion including ginseng and green. The nutrients that are present in the tea help to break up the mucus. Also, the steam and heat that you get from tea are helpful in melting your mucus.
- Vitamin C is generally used for preventing a common cold. It is also used when you have head congestion to resolve the congestion.
- You can use the nasal strips as they help you to open the passages of the nose. They will help to drain the sinuses.
- Many aromatherapy oils are available that can be really helpful in head congestion. Tea tree, eucalyptus oils, and peppermint are some of the effective aromatherapy oils. You can ingest them and they can also be used by adding to a humidifier, bath, or bowl of boiling water for steam treatment.
- You can use the warm saline solution to flush your sinuses and nasal passages which will loose and drain the mucus in the sinuses. It can be done with the help of a syringe, neti pot or other similar devices.
- Some over-the-counter decongestants are available in the market that will help you to clear your congestion in the head.
- If your head congestion is severe and occurring again and again then acupuncture may help you to relieve some of the problems associated with your congestion.
- Steam is very helpful as it relieves you from head congestion. You can take the steam in various ways. You can take a hot bath or shower. You can also use a direct route via a bowl of boiling water.
There are various types of congestion including nasal congestion, throat congestion, head congestion and more. Nasal congestion or stuffy nose can happen due to anything that inflames the nasal tissues. Tobacco smoke, drug addiction, foreign body in the nose, certain medications, a common cold, pregnancy, stress, nasal polyps and more are some of the possible causes of nasal congestion. If your infant is having nasal congestion then you should see a doctor as sometimes it can get serious. Throat congestion generally happens when the lining of the throat gets swollen and inflamed. Due to head congestion, you may face difficulty in drinking, eating, and breathing. Bacterial or viral infection, sinus infection or a common cold are some of the potential causes of throat congestion. Environmental factors can also lead to throat congestion. You should drink a lot of fluids preferably water if you have congestion in the throat. Head congestion is the worst; it can make your life miserable as it hinders your daily activities as well as sleep. Due to head congestion, you have a heavy feeling in the head. Earaches, headache, coughing, stuffiness and sore throat are some of the signs or symptoms of head congestion. A lot of home remedies and medical treatments are available that will help you to get relief from the congested head.
An eating disorder, mostly appears when your food habits reach levels of extremity. Anorexia nervosa and Bulimia are two main and the most common eating disorders found in men and women. One is the lower extreme while the other is the higher extreme in terms of food intake.
1. Anorexia: People who are affected with anorexia think of themselves to be very overweight in spite of actually being very slim and thin. Anorexia inflicted people consume less than a thousand calories per day. They exercise rigorously and try to find more ways to lose weight. They vomit a lot due to the insufficient diet and suffer more. The treatment for anorexia nervosa generally includes a mix of mental treatment, and regulated weight gain program. An anorexia patient should seek treatment as early as possible. The best ways to deal with anorexia are:
Psychological Treatment: Various psychological treatments can be used to cure anorexia of different stages. They are cognitive analytic therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal therapy, focal psychodynamic therapy. A family's response is also an important psychological factor. Proper encouragement and effort should be given.
Weight gain program: This measure will guide an anorexic patient to improve his diet habits and slowly gain weight. A patient is monitored carefully, traits are recognized and a likewise diet pattern is given.
2. Bulimia: Bulimia nervosa is another category of eating disorder. The main characteristic of this disorder is overeating in the highest level. Binge eating is observed, followed by attempts by the affected individual to lose weight. A bulimic patient is constantly trapped in the cycle of overeating and then thinking about losing weight.
Maybe you do not like the idea of binge eating and fear getting obese, but once affected by bulimia a patient cannot follow this and binge eats. Later, they adopt extreme measures for losing weight. The primary methods to deal with bulimia are:
Eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia should be avoided, and you should know the best ways to deal with them.
Many people feel hungry throughout the day. They are lethargic until they lay their hands on food. These bouts of hunger go on like a vicious circle, and if not resisted, it can lead to health issues.
1. A high-fiber diet can prevent unnecessary hunger - Your diet should be rich in fiber. Body takes a longer span of time to digest fiber rich food. It also makes you feel full for hours together. Having fiber will keep your bowel movements in control and is therefore healthy. Remember to add extra fiber to your bowl of cereals or salad to keep pangs of hunger at bay.
2. Divide one heavy meal into two smaller meals - Eating heavy meals and that too less frequently is really bad for your health. This can make you feel hungry time and again. To control the constant rumbling inside your tummy, you should divide one big meal into two or more smaller meals. For instance, if you were supposed to eat sandwiches, boiled eggs and soup for lunch, you should probably eat sandwiches at noon and eat the soup and eggs any time later in the day.
3. Never be a fast eater - Jumping on your food is the worst way of tackling things. Research studies show how a human brain takes more than twenty minutes to tell your body it is full and satisfied. If you don't wish to overeat throughout the day, you must consume your food slowly. This way the brain takes more time in realizing it is full and thus further time in feeling subsequent hunger.
4. Eat sufficiently during mealtime - Many tend to eat inadequately during mealtime and as soon as they are done with their food they feel hungry. It is important to fill yourself sufficiently when you are already eating. A person snacking on carrots and corns can keep away from binge eating.
5. Drink more glasses of water - Every person should drink around three to four liters of water. Drinking water half an hour after a meal can keep your gustatory concerns in check for long. Water keeps you hydrated, helps in digestion and controls unnecessary hunger.
6. Eat a good amount of protein - Protein makes you full in very little time and thus doesn't need to be consumed in great quantities. It will make you feel content for long as your blood sugar levels are in balance through protein consumption. Protein takes time to be digested.
An eating disorder, mostly appears when your food habits reach levels of extremity.
Anorexia nervosa and Bulimia are two main and the most common eating disorders found in men and women. One is the lower extreme while the other is the higher extreme in terms of food intake.
People who are affected with anorexia think of themselves to be very overweight in spite of actually being very slim and thin. Anorexia inflicted people consume less than a thousand calories per day. They exercise rigorously and try to find more ways to lose weight. They vomit a lot due to the insufficient diet and suffer more.
The treatment for anorexia nervosa generally includes a mix of mental treatment, and regulated weight gain program. An anorexia patient should seek treatment as early as possible. The best ways to deal with anorexia are:
- Psychological Treatment
Various psychological treatments can be used to cure anorexia of different stages. They are- Cognitive analytic therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, interpersonal therapy, focal psychodynamic therapy. A family's response is also an important psychological factor. Proper encouragement and effort should be given.
- Weight gain program
This measure will guide an anorexic patient to improve his diet habits and slowly gain weight. A patient is monitored carefully, traits are recognized and a likewise diet pattern is given.
Bulimia nervosa is another category of eating disorder. The main characteristic of this disorder is overeating in the highest level. Binge eating is observed, followed by attempts by the affected individual to lose weight. A bulimia patient is constantly trapped in the cycle of overeating and then thinking about losing weight.
Maybe you do not like the idea of binge eating and fear getting obese, but once affected by bulimia a patient cannot follow this and binge eats. Later, they adapt extreme measures for losing weight.
Psychotherapy, or talk therapy includes examining your bulimia and related issues with an expert. It is proven that these sorts of psychotherapies restrict the symptoms of bulimia. The three modes of psychotherapy include- Cognitive-behavioral therapy, Family-based therapy and Interpersonal psychotherapy.
Medicines such as anti-depressants can be taken by bulimia patients along with psychotherapy. Prozac is a recommended and effective medicine.
- Proper diet plan
For bulimia affected patients, having a proper balanced diet is very essential. A diet expert should be consulted, who will make the most essential food pattern for you. Undertaking a weight loss program is also recommended.
Eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia should be avoided, and you should know the best ways to deal with them.
Jaundice is yellowish discoloration of the sclera of the eye, It occurs due to excess biliary pigments accumulation when Red blood cells are destroyed these pigments are produced in the liver and secreted in the bile. Bile produced in the liver reaches to duodenum part of the small intestine through the common bile duct (a tube connecting from liver to duodenum), Whenever there is an obstruction in this passage of bile from the liver to duodenum it is called as obstructive or surgical jaundice. Obstruction can occur at any point at this passage and the reason for obstruction can be either intrinsic or external compression of the bile duct. Intrinsic factor includes such as biliary stricture, Stones in the common bile duct or intraluminal mass causing obstruction. There can be any external mass which may compress the bile duct from outside and may cause obstruction. Patient present with jaundice, dark-colored urine, the feature which distinguishes it from medical jaundice is pale colored stools, the patient may have itching and anorexia. Liver function test revels predominant raised conjugated bilirubin level, Ultrasound abdomen can confirm the cause of jaundice as obstructive and can also tell the site and cause of obstruction.
Treatment depends on the cause of obstruction and managed accordingly.
Methi or Fenugreek is a herb with green leaves that comes from the Pea family. The seed of fenugreek is bitter in taste and are used in preparing a number of medicines. The leaves of fenugreek, however, are quite tasty when cooked. 1 tablespoon of fenugreek leaf contains calorie, fat, fibre, protein, carbohydrate, iron, magnesium, vitamin B6 and phosphorous. It goes without saying that they are extremely beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
Here is a list of few benefits that methi leaf can extend to the body if consumed regularly:
Time to clean the Larder!!
We all know that no guests come unannounced these days then why to hoard five packs of different types of namkeens and chocolate cookies and nutty biscuits and chips?
Remember no one comes without calling first, so when you do have guests, pop by the supermarket and pick up whatever you need. If you hoard all this junk, it will be YOU eating them... not your guests!