8 Easy Ways By Which You Can Prevent Prostate Cancer!
Written and reviewed by
MCh Urology, MS - General Surgery, DNB (General Surgery), MBBS
21 years experience
A gland that produces a liquid which mixes with sperm and is ejaculated as semen during sexual activity, is the prostate gland and is located under the bladder of a man. Cancer in the prostate is one of the most common cancers that occur among men.
The risk of developing prostate cancer increases progressively with age. Although there is no absolute prevention of prostate cancer, evidence and doctors suggest that a healthy diet can play a key role. Here are a few tips that can go a long way in prevention of prostate cancer:
- Red Foods: Tomatoes, carrot, watermelon, and other red foods get their bright color from a powerful antioxidant called lycopene. Studies have proved that by having fruits that contain lycopene, you can reduce your risk of prostate cancer. Some findings suggest that cooking tomatoes make it easier for your body to absorb this antioxidant.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Green vegetables contain compounds called carcinogens, which help your body in breaking down cancer-causing substances. Spreading of cancer can be slowed down through a nutrient-rich diet. Avoiding processed junk food and eating fruits and vegetables containing nutrients and vitamins may lower the risk of getting prostate cancer.
- Feast on Fish: Fatty acid, also known as omega-3, is found in certain fish including sardines, tuna, mackerel, trout, and salmon. This may help in reducing the risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Soy and Tea: Some studies suggest that men who drink green tea or take green tea extract supplements have a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. Many soy products and other foods contain a nutrient called isoflavones, which has been linked to a reduced risk of prostate cancer.
- Coffee: Studies show that drinking three cups of coffee a day can reduce the chances of prostate cancer by 11 percent. There is a dose-response relationship between coffee and prostate cancer. The effects of prostate cancer go up or down with the amount of coffee you take. Someone who grabs an occasional cup only, may not have these effects. However, high doses of caffeine can result in major health issues.
- Fat: Studies indicate that animal fats and an increased risk of prostate cancer are linked. It is advised to replace animal-based fats with any kind of plant-based fat. In addition to this, overcooking the meat produces carcinogens, therefore it is suggested to be strictly avoided.
- Quit Smoking: Smokers are more likely to have an aggressive form of prostate cancer. The chances of a recurrence of the disease are more for people who smoke. It is never too late to quit smoking.
- Exercise: Regular exercise and maintaining a healthy body can help you to increase your muscle mass and metabolism. Too much fat in the middle of your body is linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer. You can try walking, running, bicycling or swimming to reduce the weight to lead a healthy life.
It is important to look after yourself and start taking essential steps to prevent prostate cancer rather than trying to manage it once you get it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult a specialist
& get answers to your questions!
found this helpful