Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Surgeons online in Thane. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Psoriasis is the condition in which the infected skin cells multiply 10 times faster than the normal rate. During this disease, the normal skin tends to get covered by a layer of dead skin cells, not allowing the skin to breathe. People who suffer from psoriasis face an increased likelihood of contracting other serious medical conditions such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriasis can erupt just about anywhere on the body, but it most often occurs on the scalp, chest, back, elbows, knuckles, and knees. If you have a mild case, the patches may hardly be noticeable. The worst cases produce unsightly patches almost everywhere.
Psoriasis can also affect fingernails and toenails, making them appear pitted and discolored. It can even cause significant joint pain, a condition known as psoriatic arthritis.
Most people who develop psoriasis are initially diagnosed in their teens, twenties, or thirties. The disease follows a very unpredictable course. That first flare-up may also be the last. Or it may signal the start of a lifetime of flare-ups that come and go for no apparent reason. Fortunately, when the lesions disappear, they leave no scars.
Here's a list of following unsafe health conditions created by psoriasis:
- Cancer: People experiencing psoriasis are subjected to an increased risk of contracting certain cancers like lymphoma. A study discovered that people diagnosed with psoriasis have an increased likelihood of 40% to contract cancer than the general population. The reason for this particular risk hasn't been yet understood.
- Kidney disease: According to a 2013 study, published in the British Medical journal people with psoriasis have an increased risk of encountering kidney disorders. Severe and mild psoriasis increases the likelihood of kidney diseases by 58% and 36% respectively.
- Obesity: People suffering from mild psoriasis are 30% likelier to be obese than those who are not. For people diagnosed with severe psoriasis the chances increase by 80%.
- Diabetes and high cholesterol: High levels of triglycerides, total cholesterol and lipoprotein are present in patients with psoriasis, and these patients are 28% likelier to have high cholesterol compared to the general masses. According to a recent study, people with the condition have a 46% increased chance of suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
- Peptic ulcers and mood disorders: In some cases, peptic ulcers are also linked with psoriasis. The reason for this is attributed to inflammation. Psoriasis also leads to mood disorders like depression due to the pain and anxiety arising from the condition. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.