Lybrate.com has top trusted Orthopedists from across India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can view profiles of all Orthopedists online in Thane. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Chetan Wankhede
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Leg Pain
Treatment of Knee Pain
Treatment of Hand Pain
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Treatment of Foot Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Bone Fracture
Treatment of Arm Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Finger Pain
Treatment of Hip Pain
Treatment of Heel Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Elbow Pain
Treatment of Pain in Ribs
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Strains
Treatment of Slip Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Chetan WankhedeYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Dr. Chetan Wankhede provides answers that are very helpful. Thank you so much sir.
Good and helpful
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a degenerative disease that progresses over time. It generally affects the fingers, feet, wrists, and ankles. It causes immobility due to inflammation and stiffness as well as severe pain. This is an autoimmune disease where the body mistakenly ends up attacking the joints instead of attacking bacteria and other substances as it normally should. Severe cartilage damage can be caused if this condition is not treated on time, which can make the spacing between the bones even smaller than usual.
Let us find out how one can tackle this condition.
- Rest: While there is still no cure for this condition, one can take a number of measures in order to tackle it. One of the foremost ways of managing this condition is with the help of rest and relaxation. It is important to get plenty of sleep so that you can keep the condition from getting worse. There are a number of relaxation exercises that will help you in sleeping better, especially if you have been having trouble sleeping due to the aches and pains.
- Exercise: Depending on the doctor’s recommendations, you will need to exercise on a regular basis so as to keep the motion in your joints intact for as long as possible. Muscle and joint strengthening exercises include swimming, walking, and even gentle stretching that can help in reducing muscle fatigue. This can make your muscles stronger and increase the range of motions as well.
- Ointments and Lotions: One can turn to gels and lotions which can be topically applied. These can be prescribed by the doctor as well, so that the pain is soothed and temporary relief from pain and stiffness may be experienced. These are also available in the form of sprays. These ointments, gels or lotions usually contain camphor, menthol, capsaicin and salicylates.
- Fish Oil Supplements: Pain and stiffness can be significantly reduced with the help of fish oil, as per many medical studies. Before adding fish oil supplements to your food, you will need to talk to your orthopaedic specialist to find out if it may interfere with any medication that you may be taking for the condition or any other related disorder.
- Plant Oils: Plant oils are also known to contain fatty acids known as gamma linolenic acid, which can give much relief when it comes to pain and stiffness, especially in the morning. One must remember, though, that excessive use of this oil can lead to liver damage. So it is imperative to speak with your doctor or therapist before taking any plant oils.
- Medications: Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can help in containing the pain and inflammation for severe cases.
Excessive and persistent pain223604 in the feet as well as the ankle joints could point at the existence of a condition known as flat foot pain. This happens due to the difference between a normal foot and a flat foot. While a normal foot will have an upward arch under the foot, right in the middle, the flat foot does not have such a support. This arch is usually formed by the tendons and ligaments that help in rendering support to the foot as well as stabilising the rest of the body. When these tendons and ligaments become weak, the arch begins to diminish before finally disappearing, which leaves the patient with a flat foot.
This can be a painful condition. Let us look at the ways in which it may be cured.
- Foot Wear: When you are suffering from this condition, it is important to wear comfortable and supportive foot wear like shoes, sandals and slippers which can support the arch and help in giving stability to the rest of the body. Besides looking for shoes that will provide the right amount of comfort, one can also use additional support like insoles that will help in giving comfort while you are walking, standing or running.
- Orthotics: These are tools that can be recommended by your doctor in order to help in minimising the pressure that one feels in the foot. The orthotics usually distributes this pressure by giving much needed additional support to the arch of the foot. These tools also help in realigning the foot’s ankle with its bones as well as the joints, which can help in successfully treating this condition to a great extent. They are usually customised as per your exact foot shape and size, as well as the problem you are facing, so that you have plenty of support when you are using your feet for varied activities.
- Arch inserts and wraps: If your normal shoes are lacking the arch support that you require for flat feet, then you can also invest in arch inserts and wraps which will reduce the pain and prevent it from reoccurring. Also, these will help you to remain standing or walking for longer periods of time, as they add that extra bit of support to your feet for normal functioning.
- Surgery: If the various non surgical treatments do not help you over a period of a few months, then it may be time to speak with your podiatrist or orthopaedic specialist so that you can go in for a surgery that will fix this problem. This kind of surgery will help in stabilising the feet and ankle bones by applying corrective foot support. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!