Doctor in The Umrao IMSR
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Cervical Spondylosis
Treatment of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Spine Surgery Treatment
Spinal Disc Surgery
Scoliosis Correction Surgery
Treatment of Ossification of the Posterior Longitu
Artificial Disc Replacement Surgery Spine
Minimally Invasive Surgery Spine
Spine Tumor Treatment
Spine Fixation And Fusion
Submit a review for The Umrao IMSRYour feedback matters!
The core muscles, mainly concentrated around the abdomen, hips, lower back, trunk, and glutes, are indeed a powerhouse that gets you going. The stronger the core muscles, the fitter you stay. Without a proper core strength, a lot of the day to day activities including lifting or bending gets affected. Certain health conditions can weaken the core muscles. But how to know if the core muscles are weak? There are many signs and symptoms associated with weak core muscles.
Mentioned below are some important signs that may be an indication of weak core muscles.
- For your posture to be correct, the spine and pelvis need to be stable: The muscles of the lower back and the abdomen does exactly that, ensuring a steady and correct posture. However, when the core muscles weaken, they are unable to provide stability to the spine and the pelvis resulting in a poor posture. Left unattended, poor posture, in turn, can trigger a myriad of complications and discomfort.
- The body loses its balance: As already mentioned, the core muscles go a long way in stabilizing the body and helping you to maintain the body balance. You can perform a small test to know if your balance is affected. Close your eyes and stand on one foot. Repeat the procedure with the other foot as well. If you have a developed core, you will be able to hold the position for at least 10 seconds, if not more (both the legs).
- A pain concentrated to the lower back: Do not ignore a lower back pain. It could be an indication of your core muscles not being strong enough, especially the ones adjacent to the spine. Timely medical intervention may help improve the condition.
- Weakness throughout the body: The strong core muscles are an indication of a healthy and fit body. When the muscles start to lose its strength, the entire body gets affected. A person finds it difficult to even lift things. Doing even a small and regular work leaves a person weak and tired.
- You can also perform the Hollowing Test to check your core strength: Sit in a comfortable position. Starting breathing in and out. As you breathe out or exhale, try to pull your stomach inwards towards the spine for at least 10 seconds. Unable to pass this test (can't hold the position for 10 seconds) indicates weak core muscles.
- You can also try the plank test: Get yourself in a push-up position with the entire body resting on your elbows, arms, and toes. The hip should be level and steady. Failing to stay in this position for 50 seconds is indicative of weak core muscles.
Are you aware of the importance of vitamin D in your body, and why you should keep away from vitamin D deficiency? Vitamin D, referred to as the sunshine vitamin, is produced by your body in response to your skin’s exposure to sunlight. It is found naturally in certain food items such as egg yolks, fish liver oils, and fish. Vitamin D is essential for strong bones as it helps your body in using calcium from your diet.
Causes of vitamin D deficiency
There are various reasons that lead to vitamin D deficiency. The most common ones are as follows:
- It happens when you are a vegan and do not consume any animal-based products, as it is common in foods like fish, egg yolks, beef liver, and fortified milk.
- You have limited exposure to sunlight, in such a case your body fails to make required vitamin D
- If you spend a lot of time indoors or live in the northern latitudes, or wear robes and covering as part of religious requirements, you may become vitamin D deficient.
- In case you have dark skin, as a pigment known as melanin reduces your skin’s ability to make vitamin D based on your exposure to sunlight.
- Aged adults having a dark skin tone are more likely to suffer from vitamin D deficiency.
• The primary symptoms of vitamin D deficiency include muscle weakness and pain in the bones.
• In some people, the symptoms are not prominent.
Management of vitamin D deficiency
- The treatment of vitamin D deficiency aims at getting more vitamin D via diet and health supplements.
- Usually, there is no consensus about vitamin D levels that are required for optimal health, and it depends on a person’s health condition or age.
- The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin D is stated to be 600 international units for all people within the age of 70.
- For people above the age of 70, the allowance is stated to be 800 international units.
- It is also possible for a doctor to prescribe over 4000 international units for correcting vitamin D deficiency.
It is recommended for you to consult a doctor regarding vitamin D deficiency in case you do not spend enough time in the sun, or when you always cover your skin by applying sunscreen, which restricts the production of vitamin D. You may need to take vitamin D supplements, as prescribed by the doctor.