Lybrate.com has top trusted Dermatologists from across India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dermatologists online in Surat. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Niraj Goenka
Treatment Of Acne/Pimples
Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment of Female Hair Loss
Treatment of Dandruff
Treatment of Greying Hair
Treatment of Black Spots on Skin
Treatment of Hair Growth
Skin Whitening Procedures
Treatment Of Acne Scars
Treatment of Oily Skin
Treatment of Rashes
Glowing Skin Procedures
Management of Dark Skin
Hair Health Treatment Procedures
Treatment of Baldness
Treatment of Vitiligo
Treatment of Ichthyosis Vulgaris
Treatment of Sunburn
Laser Hair Removal
Submit a review for Dr. Niraj GoenkaYour feedback matters!
Psoriasis, in general, is a persistent autoimmune condition that causes the speedy development of skin cell. This increase in the number of cells causes unhealthy scales on the surface of the skin.
Symptoms of nail psoriasis
Symptoms to watch out for are the nails cracking right from the nail bed. This, in medicinal term, is known as onycholysis and it creates space that can get contaminated by germs. Soreness or a sponge like feeling beneath the nails, pitting, warping and hardening of the nails, discoloration, painful chalk like build up beneath the cuticles which causes the nail to move upwards, are common symptoms as well. This is known as subungual hyperkeratosis. As a rule, almost everybody who is affected by general psoriasis, suffer from nail psoriasis.
Sometimes nail psoriasis may be accompanied by fungal infections. A parting amid the nail and nail bed is the perfect environment for the fungi to grow. If the symptoms you are experiencing are extremely moderate, treatment may not be required. If the discoloration, nail hardening or chipping of the nails is severe, it is probably a good time to make an appointment with a dermatologist.
A diet deficient in Calcium, Vitamin C or B12 can lead to this condition. Unhygienic habits can aggravate the condition. Psoriasis, in most cases, is acquired genetically. A weak immune system can also be a marker. Certain steps can be taken to keep the nails healthy. Keeping the nails clipped short and clean helps. Wearing gloves while working in the kitchen, during gardening or washing is another preventive measure you can always take.
It may be hard to treat nail psoriasis; while topical medicines are prescribed, they usually don’t work that well. Oral D3 supplements can be taken. D3 ointments, light or photo therapy and finally corticosteroid injections directly aimed to the nail bed may ease the situation. In very severe cases, nails may need to be removed with the help of surgery, so as to help new nails to grow back. Patience is the key word.
Cold sores are also known as fever blisters. They are surely not something a person would want to have. These sores occur on the face of the person or even inside his or her mouth. They are lesions which appear like blisters. There is a lot of pain which is caused by cold sores. Eventually, they end by bursting and then crusting over. But, what really causes cold sores to form?
The condition of cold sores is something that is attributable to the HSV, or the Herpes Simplex Virus. The type 1 variety of this virus is said to cause cold sores in the region around the mouth. The cause of contracting this form of the virus is that a person may have shared utensils with a person who has this strain or even shared towels.
Learning about the HSV
That being said, there is a possibility that cold sores could also be caused by the HSV Type 2 virus. This would be the case if the person with cold sores has had oral sex with a person who has been infected with genital herpes.
When it comes to the Herpes Simplex Virus, it can be said that managing the consequent issue that cold sores present is something which is quite challenging. This is because of the fact that a person may not even be aware that he or she has been infected by the virus on account of it lying dormant.
In some people, an outbreak may occur once a year while in others it may occur with a much greater frequency. The point is that the occurrence of the outbreak may vary from person to person and a generalisation cannot be made.
- One of the things that have been noticed is that the likelihood of an outbreak is increased if a person is under sustained stress.
- Sadness or an injury to the area can also worsen the prospects of a person who is hoping to go for as long a period without being plagued by cold sores.
In order to manage the outbreak of cold sores, advice from a person who is a qualified medical professional is something that is required. On their own, cold sores usually do not take more than 10 days to clear out. In order to reduce the likelihood of another attack, it is important to minimise an excessive exposure to sunlight and to be very careful at the times of seasonal changes. When it comes to the contagiousness of cold sores, the threat is the most when the cold sores are oozing. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
For long, people have had a tough time dealing with hair fall and baldness. In some people, especially men, the baldness may appear in patches, affecting their overall appearance, with people looking way older than their age. Scalp Micro Pigmentation has been a revelation in the truest sense, taking the market by storm. It is a natural and non-surgical procedure to deal with hair fall and the associated problems.
Scalp Micro Pigmentation can be used to treat a host of hair problems including
- Alopecia (hair loss which is genetically triggered), crown balding, partial or complete baldness in men, as well as diffused hair loss.
- Women, too, can benefit from the Scalp Micro Pigmentation.
- Scars (in the scalp), resulting from an injury or an accident can be successfully camouflaged using SMP.
- Also termed as the Medical Hairline Tattoo, Scalp MicroPigmentation is much more than any ordinary hair tattoo. It is a scientifically approved procedure which uses natural and hypoallergenic (thereby eliminating the chances of any allergic reactions) pigments.
Unlike Hair transplant, Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP), does not help in hair regrowth. However, the bald patches (partial or complete) can be perfectly camouflaged using SMP. In SMP, natural pigments are applied to the scalp (the 2nd dermal layer). These pigments give the impression of natural hair follicles. In the case of complete baldness, your scalp will appear to be clean shaved (due to the pigments that mimic the natural hair follicles).
It takes 3 sessions (each lasting for 3-4 hours) for a complete Scalp MicroPigmentation, performed by highly skilled and experienced practitioners. For better results, the practitioner maintains at least a week's gap between the sessions.The procedure usually needs a touch-up every 2-3 years.
Merits and Demerits of Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP)
- Scalp MicroPigmentation comes as a blessing for people who have made desperate and all possible attempts to deal with the hair loss and the associated stigma that comes with it.
- Being a non-surgical procedure, SMP involves no incision (unlike hair transplantation).
- SMP is not very expensive and leaves only a small pinch in the pocket.
- The use of natural and hypoallergenic pigments minimize the chances of infections or associated complications.
- Side-effects are seldom observed in SMP.
- It has a quick healing time of about 2-4 days.
Like most of the surgeries and procedures, the Scalp MicroPigmentation too comes with its share of demerits.
- The biggest drawback of SMP is that it does not cause any hair growth. All it does is to hide the bald patches or the receding hairline with the natural pigments.
- The procedure will only give the scalp a fuller look. It can do nothing about the length of the hair, unlike a hair transplant, where you have a hair growth of the desired length.
- If you intend to go for hair transplant at a later period, do not opt for SMP, as it will leave a disparity in the hair color.
- In spite of the few demerits, SMP is still widely recommended, although the ultimate decision will always be yours.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Our skin gets its color called melanin. This is a pigment that is produced by a special kind of skin cells. When these cells get impaired then melanin production is also affected. This leads to discoloration of the skin which is called pigmentation. Pigmentation can manifest in many ways. Production of excessive melanin, excessive exposure to the sun, pregnancy and Addison's disease- all these make the skin darker. On the other hand, too little melanin production leads to the lightening of the skin. This condition is also called Vitiligo. Albinism is a medical condition where the skin color is light because of genetic reasons.
How can Pigmentation be treated?
There are a few advanced skin care procedures that treat pigmentation. Please consult a dermatologist before you go in for one of these procedures.
- Laser Resurfacing: It uses the laser to improve the surface of the skin and remove wrinkles, acne, dark spots etc. The two more popular techniques of laser surfacing are;
- CO2: The Carbon Dioxide laser is used to remove warts, moles, acne and dark spots from the skin.
- Erbium: If you have moderately deep lines and wrinkles on your face, neck, hands etc. then this technique is more effective than the CO2 led one. Also, it leaves fewer side effects.
- Please note that patients having a very dark skin should not consider laser surfacing as this procedure may be ineffective. Laser resurfacing may be painful. Some patients may be administered medicines or sedatives to reduce pain.
- Chemical Peels: To exfoliate the dark skin, a special kind of chemical is applied to the skin which leads to the regeneration of a new skin. The patient must be aware that the new skin is temporarily sensitive to the sun. Chemical peels are used to treat the same skin conditions that are treated by dermabrasion.
- Dermabrasion: This procedure involves abrasion of the upper skin by a wire brush or a diamond wheel. For facial skin care, this process is used often. Dermabrasion allows the skin to heal itself so after the procedure is over, there is a new layer of skin on your face.
- Factors to consider before Dermabrasion: Patients undergoing dermabrasion must understand that during and after this procedure, they must adhere to the doctor’s instructions. If the procedures are not followed, there is a risk of contracting skin infections. Dermabrasion is a painful process so the patients must be aware of this facts also. Typically, the improvement rate of the skin, after dermabrasion, is 50%, so the expectations must be realistic.
- Dermabrasion is used to treat the following skin conditions;
- Skin lesions
- Sun-damaged skin
- Brown/ Dark spots caused by ageing
- Wrinkles, skin growths and skin protuberances
- Scars and Crow’s Feet
With the advent of cosmetology, one can say goodbye to scars and wrinkles. But however, in most cases, the treatment is artificial as it involves the use of substances that have their side effects and can be disappointing in the long run. Wouldn't it be great if there was a method for the body to artificially create a stimulant that takes care of wrinkles and ageing? Well, look no further as collagen induction therapy does exactly that and is even beneficial than before.
What is Collagen Induction Therapy?
Collagen Induction Therapy or CIT is better known as a micro-needling or medical skin needling. It is a new age skin rejuvenation treatment designed to improve the appearance of fine lines and dark circles and wrinkles. The minimally invasive procedure takes care of scars on the faces and skin too.
As the name suggests, the process uses tiny needles or micro-needles on a roller like a machine to move over the skin. During the movement, the needles work in tandem and create tiny, evenly-spaced puncture holes on the skin. Due to this, the body identifies that a wound has appeared in the skin and releases the body's natural collagen product to heal the wound, thus, in turn, encouraging a fresh batch of skin and tissues. The new membranes and skin thus formed take care of the sagginess of the earlier skin, and a fresh new look surface is formed once the treatment is complete. In a way, it activates the skin to thicken and plump up by giving it more collagen. The procedure involves the use of fine tattooing needle and hence causes very minimal trauma when creating the microscopic punctures in the skin. Further to that in most cases, a local anaesthetic can be used to ease the pain. They can be done to the face and in most of the parts of the human body.
Are there any side effects?
The biggest advantage of using such treatments is that there are no side effects and they can be performed on all skin types. The treatment is usually imparted in multiple sessions where each session might be anywhere between 10 to 60 minutes. Recovery time is also very minimal, and a person can see the visible difference in six to eight weeks. The overall cost of the treatment depends on the number of sessions a person has and in the area where it is being performed.
Collagen Induction Therapy is the most advanced levels of cosmetology and has the benefits of treating the skin condition naturally. They can be carried out almost on all age groups and more robust in healing as they in a way stimulate the body to heal itself rather than depend on artificial chemicals to take care of the root problem. The technology has evolved over time, and Collagen Induction Therapy is a boon for those who would want to treat the skin conditions as they are meant to. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dandruff is a typical scalp condition, which happens when the bacteria on your skin congest because of stress, hormonal imbalance or changes in your eating routine. As they shed off, they leave small white chips or flakes in your hair and on your shoulders, which in turn causes more anxiety and irritation.
Dandruff can decrease in winter since the flakes or pieces are not really brought on by frosty, dry air. The main cause is an excess of malassezia bacteria. Dandruff is not a serious health condition, but sufferers make a special effort to keep the flakes from falling. Managing dandruff in winters can be tough. However, here are a few methods to cure dandruff.
Tips to help you manage it
- Get into a warm shower. Apply a quarter of the special dandruff cleanser or shampoo to your palm. Smudge the cleanser through your hair, concentrating on the scalp region. Give the cleanser a chance to sit for five minutes so that it works properly and after that, flush it out. Wash your hair once every day with the dandruff cleanser.
- Wet your hair once you are in the shower and pour three tablespoons of heated baking soda onto your hand. Rub the heated baking soda on your scalp using delicate and gentle movements to get rid of the dead skin and sleek flakes. Wash your hair with warm water.
- Pour two tablespoons of lemon juice onto your scalp and rub it using your fingers. Rinse your hair with warm water. Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with some water and pour it over your head. Try not to wash out the last lemon-juice application.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of table salt in your hand and back the salt delicately into your scalp to remove up the dead skin. Rinse your hair with water to expel the salt, and then wash your hair well with warm water, using a quarter of the cleanser. Apply conditioner if needed.
- Walk or sit outside in the sun for 20 to 30 minutes every day. A few people find that the ultra-violet beams from the sun lessen dandruff in the winter months. Keep in mind to wear sunscreen.
- Exfoliate your scalp. You swamp off dead skin cells with body scours. A similar idea can be used on your scalp. Once every week, apply a special exfoliating scalp cover on your head before applying the cleanser. It targets the bacteria and tenderly lifts away the dead cells, while calming your scalp in the meantime.
- Switch up your shower schedule. Consistency is key when you are attempting to battle dandruff. Do not hope to get rid of your dandruff by using the cleanser once. In spite of the fact that you will see a prompt change after using it once, you need to utilize it twice every week to see longlasting results.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Fungal infection in the nails, otherwise called onychomycosis, is a frequently seen issue. Side effects include irritation, swelling, yellowing, thickening or itching of the nail. It is normally not painful, unless the infection spreads further.
The fungal infection has a tendency to occur under specific conditions, like unusual pH levels of the skin, a weak immune system, nonstop introduction to a damp surrounding including sweat-soaked shoes and socks, poor cleanliness and diabetes.
In case if left untreated, fungal infection in the nails can bring about breakage and even total loss of the nails. The good news is that the bacteria present inside the nails is reparable and can be dealt with reasonably. Various common home cures can cure the infection in a couple of weeks. These are as follows:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is somewhat acidic and can keep fungus from spreading. In the meantime, it eliminates the bacteria and parasites.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has germ-free and antifungal properties that help to a considerable measure in the treatment of fungal growth. This oil is likewise used to treat different sorts of skin infections.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is readily accessible in many kitchens and can be utilized to cure the fungal growth. It will also kill the foul smell.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is one of the best remedies for treating toenail fungus since it battles the infection and reestablishes the skin's pH levels.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil has germ-free, antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, pain relieving and antifungal properties. This makes oregano oil a powerful treatment for fungal infections.
- Listerine Mouthwash: Listerine mouthwash, which eliminates microbes and germs in the mouth, can likewise be utilized to treat the fungus. The mouthwash has a few mixes and liquor that act as a solid germicide to keep away destructive bacteria and organisms.
- Garlic: Garlic contains compounds like allicin and ajoene, which have antifungal properties that can treat toenail fungus.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice has both sterile and antifungal properties. The citrus extract in lemon squeeze likewise will prevent the fungal growth from spreading.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil has a few unpredictable mixes and germ-free properties that can battle any sort of contamination and forestall skin swelling.cff440c9fc5b002eff290fd90f66269f
- Orange Oil: Orange oil additionally has antifungal properties, and along can be utilized to treat contaminated toenails. Orange oil can bring about hypersensitive responses and can have reactions, so it is important to test some orange oil on a little spot of skin before using it as a cure.
- Coconut Oil: Unsaturated fats, like for example, the ones discovered in coconut oil, normally embed themselves in the lipid (fat) layer of the infected area and bother it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The body’s reacts to anything suspicious by developing an allergic reaction. Some of the common substances inducing this reaction include certain food substances, pollen, insect bites and certain metals. This body recognises these suspicious substances as antigens and produces what is known as antibodies. These produce various allergic reactions in the body ranging from something as minor as a skin rash to something drastically fatal as respiratory distress and even death.
- Angioedema is one of the most severe forms of allergic reactions.
- Translated literally as swelling of the blood vessels, angioedema causes swelling of the blood vessels in the underlying layers and this can lead to the formation of giant hives.
- The hives or rashes are extremely itchy, reddish, and can vary in shape (oval or circular). The hives also are warm and painful when touched.
- Angioedema usually affects the skin but can have more severe effects like blocking the airway and leading to respiratory distress
Causes: Angioedema is usually caused by one of the following:
- Insect bites or stings
- People with allergies to foods like peanuts, eggs, milk, shellfish, chocolates, tree nuts, etc.
- Pollen, animal dander, latex, poison ivy, and other common allergens
- Medicines like penicillin, aspirin, ibuprofen, and some anti-hypertensives
- Autoimmune skin disorders like lupus
- Reaction to incompatible blood transfusions
- Weather conditions like extremes of cold, heat, or pressure
- Infections like hepatitis, cytomegalovirus infections, Epstein-Barr infections, etc.
- Conditions like leukaemia and thyroid disorders
- Extreme emotional stress
- Genetic angioedema, inherited from parents by children, which can last forever
Risk factors: Though hives usually develop without any warning signs, the following are some risk factors for developing angioedema.
- Previous history of allergies
- Predisposition to develop allergic reactions (overactive immune system)
- Genetic history of allergies, especially of angioedema
- In first-time patients, a detailed history with deep dive into similar instances in the past will be done
- A physical exam to check for missed hives (like the back) is then done
- Allergy testing may also be required to test if a person has a high predisposition to allergies
- Blood testing to check for eosinophils, which is usually high in patients with allergies, is done.
- Allergy testing to identify the trigger agent may be done if trigger is not known. This will help in preventing further attacks.
- If genetic angioedema is suspected, C1 esterase inhibitor test and complement particles are also checked.
Non-medical treatment including loose clothing, cool compresses, and copiously moisturizing to reduce dryness and itching. This is usually sufficient in majority of the cases.
Medical: Antihistamines like cetirizine and loratadine are the next line of treatment. Very severe cases may require steroids like prednisone. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dermatologists are a particular breed of practitioners who not only offer technologically advanced solutions for treating skin conditions, but are also authors of creating new techniques that provide a better and unique edge over other methods. They constantly keep upgrading themselves. As a result, a more robust medium for cosmetic procedures is continually evolving. One such treatment that has been developed with genuineness is the dermabrasion or the microdermabrasion procedure. Let us take a look at this innovative method for reducing dull and wrinkled skin.
What is microdermabrasion?
The technique works by a simple process of regeneration of the skin. The process involves the dermatologist "sanding" our skin with a special instrument. The skin, as a result, gets damaged, and the body treats them with new layers of skin. Microdermabrasion is also similar, except that it uses tiny exfoliating crystals that are sprayed on the skin. They are used to take care of skin conditions such as dull skin, brown spots, and age spots. Acne scars and pox marks can also be drastically reduced when using this procedure.
However, this treatment is not very effective in treating congenital skin defects, birthmarks, or scars caused by burns. Dermabrasion is mostly used on people with fairer skins whereas microdermabrasion is suitable for all skin types and colors. It is an incredibly simple treatment and can be done with a single visit to the dermatologist office. The recovery time is minimal. The skin temporarily turns pink and dry after the treatment, but these changes disappear within 24 hours. The procedure is painless and does not require any other by-products like anesthetics before imparting the treatment. The tiny crystals are gently sprayed on the skin to remove the outer layers of the skin tissue. The natural rejuvenation of the skin starts after this, and a fresh batch of layers are formed naturally, leaving behind a skin that is brighter and softer.
After the treatment, as per the advice of the dermatologist, a moisturizer or sunscreen can be applied to reduce the pinkness. Also, a person must minimize his or her exposure to the sun for at least one week for the skin rejuvenation process to kick in. However, after 24 hours, normal day-to-day activities can be performed.
Is the procedure safe?
The biggest advantage of using microdermabrasion is that there are no side effects and it is extremely safe since it uses the body's natural way of healing as a part of its procedure. There can be some irritation to the eyes during the proceedings, if the tiny crystals get into the eyes. However, they can be washed away easily. The technology has been perfected over time and is considered one of the safest cosmetic techniques to achieve a blemish-free and glowing skin. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
You are most likely to experience dry skin during winter because of the cold temperature, and lack of sunlight and dry environment. The lack of moisture causes your skin to dry up, giving it a cracked, flaky and scaly texture. This season demands a careful skin care regimen, and here are some tips on how you can take care of your skin during the winters.
- Consult a specialist: You should visit a dermatologist for an analysis of your skin type. Based on this, your dermatologist will recommend a skin care regimen to be followed during the dry months. Using the prescribed skin care products will benefit your skin and prevent it from getting dry. Both high-priced and low-priced skin care products are effective in protecting your skin.
- Moisturise your skin: Your skin care routine and use of moisturisers have to change during the winter. You need to get a new moisturiser instead of the one you use during other seasons. You need an oil-based moisturiser instead of a water-based one. The oil will help in creating a protective layer on your skin surface, which helps in retaining moisture. You can use night creams which are mostly oil based. For your face, you need to apply moisturisers that contain non-clogging oils. This includes mineral oil, avocado oil, almond oil, or primrose oil. Lotions which contain humectants are also effective for winter skin care.
- Apply sunscreen: Sunscreen is not just for the summer season. The winter sun can cause damage to your skin as well. Hence, you should apply sunscreen on your face and hands before going out on a winter day. If you need to stay outside for a long time, you must reapply the sunscreen.
- Wear gloves: The skin on the hands is thinner than other parts of the body and contains less oil glands. This implies that it is hard to keep your hands moist during the cold winter season. This might cause cracking and itchiness. To prevent this, wear gloves while venturing outside. In case you need to wear woolen gloves, wear cotton gloves first for avoiding any kind of irritation caused by the wool.
- Avoid wet gloves and socks: Wearing wet gloves and socks irritates the skin and leads to itching, sores, cracking, and may also lead to eczema. Keep your gloves and socks dry.
You need to use foot lotions to avoid cracking of your feet and heels. Use lotions containing petroleum jelly and glycerine. You should undergo skin exfoliation to eliminate the dead skin from time to time. This will make the moisturisers and lotions to go deeper and be more effective.