Lybrate.com has top trusted Dermatologists from across India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dermatologists online in Surat. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Niraj Goenka
Treatment Of Acne/Pimples
Treatment of Hair Fall
Treatment of Hair Loss
Treatment of Female Hair Loss
Treatment of Dandruff
Treatment of Greying Hair
Treatment of Black Spots on Skin
Treatment of Hair Growth
Skin Whitening Procedures
Treatment Of Acne Scars
Treatment of Oily Skin
Treatment of Rashes
Glowing Skin Procedures
Management of Dark Skin
Hair Health Treatment Procedures
Treatment of Baldness
Treatment of Vitiligo
Treatment of Ichthyosis Vulgaris
Treatment of Sunburn
Laser Hair Removal
Submit a review for Dr. Niraj GoenkaYour feedback matters!
Our skin gets its color called melanin. This is a pigment that is produced by a special kind of skin cells. When these cells get impaired then melanin production is also affected. This leads to discoloration of the skin which is called pigmentation. Pigmentation can manifest in many ways. Production of excessive melanin, excessive exposure to the sun, pregnancy and Addison's disease- all these make the skin darker. On the other hand, too little melanin production leads to the lightening of the skin. This condition is also called Vitiligo. Albinism is a medical condition where the skin color is light because of genetic reasons.
- Laser Resurfacing: It uses the laser to improve the surface of the skin and remove wrinkles, acne, dark spots etc. The two more popular techniques of laser surfacing are;
- CO2: The Carbon Dioxide laser is used to remove warts, moles, acne and dark spots from the skin.
- Erbium: If you have moderately deep lines and wrinkles on your face, neck, hands etc. then this technique is more effective than the CO2 led one. Also, it leaves fewer side effects.
- Please note that patients having a very dark skin should not consider laser surfacing as this procedure may be ineffective. Laser resurfacing may be painful. Some patients may be administered medicines or sedatives to reduce pain.
- Chemical Peels: To exfoliate the dark skin, a special kind of chemical is applied to the skin which leads to the regeneration of a new skin. The patient must be aware that the new skin is temporarily sensitive to the sun. Chemical peels are used to treat the same skin conditions that are treated by dermabrasion.
- Dermabrasion: This procedure involves abrasion of the upper skin by a wire brush or a diamond wheel. For facial skin care, this process is used often. Dermabrasion allows the skin to heal itself so after the procedure is over, there is a new layer of skin on your face.
- Factors to consider before Dermabrasion: Patients undergoing dermabrasion must understand that during and after this procedure, they must adhere to the doctor’s instructions. If the procedures are not followed, there is a risk of contracting skin infections. Dermabrasion is a painful process so the patients must be aware of this facts also. Typically, the improvement rate of the skin, after dermabrasion, is 50%, so the expectations must be realistic.
- Dermabrasion is used to treat the following skin conditions;
- Skin lesions
- Sun-damaged skin
- Brown/ Dark spots caused by ageing
- Wrinkles, skin growths and skin protuberances
- Scars and Crow’s Feet
With the advent of cosmetology, one can say goodbye to scars and wrinkles. But however, in most cases, the treatment is artificial as it involves the use of substances that have their side effects and can be disappointing in the long run. Wouldn't it be great if there was a method for the body to artificially create a stimulant that takes care of wrinkles and ageing? Well, look no further as collagen induction therapy does exactly that and is even beneficial than before.
What is Collagen Induction Therapy?
Collagen Induction Therapy or CIT is better known as a micro-needling or medical skin needling. It is a new age skin rejuvenation treatment designed to improve the appearance of fine lines and dark circles and wrinkles. The minimally invasive procedure takes care of scars on the faces and skin too.
As the name suggests, the process uses tiny needles or micro-needles on a roller like a machine to move over the skin. During the movement, the needles work in tandem and create tiny, evenly-spaced puncture holes on the skin. Due to this, the body identifies that a wound has appeared in the skin and releases the body's natural collagen product to heal the wound, thus, in turn, encouraging a fresh batch of skin and tissues. The new membranes and skin thus formed take care of the sagginess of the earlier skin, and a fresh new look surface is formed once the treatment is complete. In a way, it activates the skin to thicken and plump up by giving it more collagen. The procedure involves the use of fine tattooing needle and hence causes very minimal trauma when creating the microscopic punctures in the skin. Further to that in most cases, a local anaesthetic can be used to ease the pain. They can be done to the face and in most of the parts of the human body.
Are there any side effects?
The biggest advantage of using such treatments is that there are no side effects and they can be performed on all skin types. The treatment is usually imparted in multiple sessions where each session might be anywhere between 10 to 60 minutes. Recovery time is also very minimal, and a person can see the visible difference in six to eight weeks. The overall cost of the treatment depends on the number of sessions a person has and in the area where it is being performed.
Collagen Induction Therapy is the most advanced levels of cosmetology and has the benefits of treating the skin condition naturally. They can be carried out almost on all age groups and more robust in healing as they in a way stimulate the body to heal itself rather than depend on artificial chemicals to take care of the root problem. The technology has evolved over time, and Collagen Induction Therapy is a boon for those who would want to treat the skin conditions as they are meant to. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dandruff is a typical scalp condition, which happens when the bacteria on your skin congest because of stress, hormonal imbalance or changes in your eating routine. As they shed off, they leave small white chips or flakes in your hair and on your shoulders, which in turn causes more anxiety and irritation.
Dandruff can decrease in winter since the flakes or pieces are not really brought on by frosty, dry air. The main cause is an excess of malassezia bacteria. Dandruff is not a serious health condition, but sufferers make a special effort to keep the flakes from falling. Managing dandruff in winters can be tough. However, here are a few methods to cure dandruff.
Tips to help you manage it
- Get into a warm shower. Apply a quarter of the special dandruff cleanser or shampoo to your palm. Smudge the cleanser through your hair, concentrating on the scalp region. Give the cleanser a chance to sit for five minutes so that it works properly and after that, flush it out. Wash your hair once every day with the dandruff cleanser.
- Wet your hair once you are in the shower and pour three tablespoons of heated baking soda onto your hand. Rub the heated baking soda on your scalp using delicate and gentle movements to get rid of the dead skin and sleek flakes. Wash your hair with warm water.
- Pour two tablespoons of lemon juice onto your scalp and rub it using your fingers. Rinse your hair with warm water. Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with some water and pour it over your head. Try not to wash out the last lemon-juice application.
- Pour one to two tablespoons of table salt in your hand and back the salt delicately into your scalp to remove up the dead skin. Rinse your hair with water to expel the salt, and then wash your hair well with warm water, using a quarter of the cleanser. Apply conditioner if needed.
- Walk or sit outside in the sun for 20 to 30 minutes every day. A few people find that the ultra-violet beams from the sun lessen dandruff in the winter months. Keep in mind to wear sunscreen.
- Exfoliate your scalp. You swamp off dead skin cells with body scours. A similar idea can be used on your scalp. Once every week, apply a special exfoliating scalp cover on your head before applying the cleanser. It targets the bacteria and tenderly lifts away the dead cells, while calming your scalp in the meantime.
- Switch up your shower schedule. Consistency is key when you are attempting to battle dandruff. Do not hope to get rid of your dandruff by using the cleanser once. In spite of the fact that you will see a prompt change after using it once, you need to utilize it twice every week to see longlasting results.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Fungal infection in the nails, otherwise called onychomycosis, is a frequently seen issue. Side effects include irritation, swelling, yellowing, thickening or itching of the nail. It is normally not painful, unless the infection spreads further.
The fungal infection has a tendency to occur under specific conditions, like unusual pH levels of the skin, a weak immune system, nonstop introduction to a damp surrounding including sweat-soaked shoes and socks, poor cleanliness and diabetes.
In case if left untreated, fungal infection in the nails can bring about breakage and even total loss of the nails. The good news is that the bacteria present inside the nails is reparable and can be dealt with reasonably. Various common home cures can cure the infection in a couple of weeks. These are as follows:
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is somewhat acidic and can keep fungus from spreading. In the meantime, it eliminates the bacteria and parasites.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has germ-free and antifungal properties that help to a considerable measure in the treatment of fungal growth. This oil is likewise used to treat different sorts of skin infections.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is readily accessible in many kitchens and can be utilized to cure the fungal growth. It will also kill the foul smell.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is one of the best remedies for treating toenail fungus since it battles the infection and reestablishes the skin's pH levels.
- Oregano oil: Oregano oil has germ-free, antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, pain relieving and antifungal properties. This makes oregano oil a powerful treatment for fungal infections.
- Listerine Mouthwash: Listerine mouthwash, which eliminates microbes and germs in the mouth, can likewise be utilized to treat the fungus. The mouthwash has a few mixes and liquor that act as a solid germicide to keep away destructive bacteria and organisms.
- Garlic: Garlic contains compounds like allicin and ajoene, which have antifungal properties that can treat toenail fungus.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice has both sterile and antifungal properties. The citrus extract in lemon squeeze likewise will prevent the fungal growth from spreading.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil has a few unpredictable mixes and germ-free properties that can battle any sort of contamination and forestall skin swelling.cff440c9fc5b002eff290fd90f66269f
- Orange Oil: Orange oil additionally has antifungal properties, and along can be utilized to treat contaminated toenails. Orange oil can bring about hypersensitive responses and can have reactions, so it is important to test some orange oil on a little spot of skin before using it as a cure.
- Coconut Oil: Unsaturated fats, like for example, the ones discovered in coconut oil, normally embed themselves in the lipid (fat) layer of the infected area and bother it.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The body’s reacts to anything suspicious by developing an allergic reaction. Some of the common substances inducing this reaction include certain food substances, pollen, insect bites and certain metals. This body recognises these suspicious substances as antigens and produces what is known as antibodies. These produce various allergic reactions in the body ranging from something as minor as a skin rash to something drastically fatal as respiratory distress and even death.
- Angioedema is one of the most severe forms of allergic reactions.
- Translated literally as swelling of the blood vessels, angioedema causes swelling of the blood vessels in the underlying layers and this can lead to the formation of giant hives.
- The hives or rashes are extremely itchy, reddish, and can vary in shape (oval or circular). The hives also are warm and painful when touched.
- Angioedema usually affects the skin but can have more severe effects like blocking the airway and leading to respiratory distress
Causes: Angioedema is usually caused by one of the following:
- Insect bites or stings
- People with allergies to foods like peanuts, eggs, milk, shellfish, chocolates, tree nuts, etc.
- Pollen, animal dander, latex, poison ivy, and other common allergens
- Medicines like penicillin, aspirin, ibuprofen, and some anti-hypertensives
- Autoimmune skin disorders like lupus
- Reaction to incompatible blood transfusions
- Weather conditions like extremes of cold, heat, or pressure
- Infections like hepatitis, cytomegalovirus infections, Epstein-Barr infections, etc.
- Conditions like leukaemia and thyroid disorders
- Extreme emotional stress
- Genetic angioedema, inherited from parents by children, which can last forever
Risk factors: Though hives usually develop without any warning signs, the following are some risk factors for developing angioedema.
- Previous history of allergies
- Predisposition to develop allergic reactions (overactive immune system)
- Genetic history of allergies, especially of angioedema
- In first-time patients, a detailed history with deep dive into similar instances in the past will be done
- A physical exam to check for missed hives (like the back) is then done
- Allergy testing may also be required to test if a person has a high predisposition to allergies
- Blood testing to check for eosinophils, which is usually high in patients with allergies, is done.
- Allergy testing to identify the trigger agent may be done if trigger is not known. This will help in preventing further attacks.
- If genetic angioedema is suspected, C1 esterase inhibitor test and complement particles are also checked.
Non-medical treatment including loose clothing, cool compresses, and copiously moisturizing to reduce dryness and itching. This is usually sufficient in majority of the cases.
Medical: Antihistamines like cetirizine and loratadine are the next line of treatment. Very severe cases may require steroids like prednisone. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Dermatologists are a particular breed of practitioners who not only offer technologically advanced solutions for treating skin conditions, but are also authors of creating new techniques that provide a better and unique edge over other methods. They constantly keep upgrading themselves. As a result, a more robust medium for cosmetic procedures is continually evolving. One such treatment that has been developed with genuineness is the dermabrasion or the microdermabrasion procedure. Let us take a look at this innovative method for reducing dull and wrinkled skin.
What is microdermabrasion?
The technique works by a simple process of regeneration of the skin. The process involves the dermatologist "sanding" our skin with a special instrument. The skin, as a result, gets damaged, and the body treats them with new layers of skin. Microdermabrasion is also similar, except that it uses tiny exfoliating crystals that are sprayed on the skin. They are used to take care of skin conditions such as dull skin, brown spots, and age spots. Acne scars and pox marks can also be drastically reduced when using this procedure.
However, this treatment is not very effective in treating congenital skin defects, birthmarks, or scars caused by burns. Dermabrasion is mostly used on people with fairer skins whereas microdermabrasion is suitable for all skin types and colors. It is an incredibly simple treatment and can be done with a single visit to the dermatologist office. The recovery time is minimal. The skin temporarily turns pink and dry after the treatment, but these changes disappear within 24 hours. The procedure is painless and does not require any other by-products like anesthetics before imparting the treatment. The tiny crystals are gently sprayed on the skin to remove the outer layers of the skin tissue. The natural rejuvenation of the skin starts after this, and a fresh batch of layers are formed naturally, leaving behind a skin that is brighter and softer.
After the treatment, as per the advice of the dermatologist, a moisturizer or sunscreen can be applied to reduce the pinkness. Also, a person must minimize his or her exposure to the sun for at least one week for the skin rejuvenation process to kick in. However, after 24 hours, normal day-to-day activities can be performed.
Is the procedure safe?
The biggest advantage of using microdermabrasion is that there are no side effects and it is extremely safe since it uses the body's natural way of healing as a part of its procedure. There can be some irritation to the eyes during the proceedings, if the tiny crystals get into the eyes. However, they can be washed away easily. The technology has been perfected over time and is considered one of the safest cosmetic techniques to achieve a blemish-free and glowing skin. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
You are most likely to experience dry skin during winter because of the cold temperature, and lack of sunlight and dry environment. The lack of moisture causes your skin to dry up, giving it a cracked, flaky and scaly texture. This season demands a careful skin care regimen, and here are some tips on how you can take care of your skin during the winters.
- Consult a specialist: You should visit a dermatologist for an analysis of your skin type. Based on this, your dermatologist will recommend a skin care regimen to be followed during the dry months. Using the prescribed skin care products will benefit your skin and prevent it from getting dry. Both high-priced and low-priced skin care products are effective in protecting your skin.
- Moisturise your skin: Your skin care routine and use of moisturisers have to change during the winter. You need to get a new moisturiser instead of the one you use during other seasons. You need an oil-based moisturiser instead of a water-based one. The oil will help in creating a protective layer on your skin surface, which helps in retaining moisture. You can use night creams which are mostly oil based. For your face, you need to apply moisturisers that contain non-clogging oils. This includes mineral oil, avocado oil, almond oil, or primrose oil. Lotions which contain humectants are also effective for winter skin care.
- Apply sunscreen: Sunscreen is not just for the summer season. The winter sun can cause damage to your skin as well. Hence, you should apply sunscreen on your face and hands before going out on a winter day. If you need to stay outside for a long time, you must reapply the sunscreen.
- Wear gloves: The skin on the hands is thinner than other parts of the body and contains less oil glands. This implies that it is hard to keep your hands moist during the cold winter season. This might cause cracking and itchiness. To prevent this, wear gloves while venturing outside. In case you need to wear woolen gloves, wear cotton gloves first for avoiding any kind of irritation caused by the wool.
- Avoid wet gloves and socks: Wearing wet gloves and socks irritates the skin and leads to itching, sores, cracking, and may also lead to eczema. Keep your gloves and socks dry.
You need to use foot lotions to avoid cracking of your feet and heels. Use lotions containing petroleum jelly and glycerine. You should undergo skin exfoliation to eliminate the dead skin from time to time. This will make the moisturisers and lotions to go deeper and be more effective.
Are you planning on undergoing hair transplantation because of extensive hair loss? A hair transplantation surgery is effective in making up your lost hair, but there are several facts you should know before undergoing the procedure. There are certain strict do’s and don’ts associated with hair transplantation, both before and after the process.
Before hair transplantation
- Wash your hair well before the surgery day on the morning of the surgery.
- Wear clothes which do not need to be pulled off over your head after the surgery.
- Arrange for transportation for going back home.
- Do not take aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medicines for seven days before the procedure.
- Do not consume alcohol, take vitamin B, E supplements for seven days before the surgery.
- Do not smoke for three days before, and on the day of the surgery.
After hair transplantation
- Remember all instructions given by the surgeon for care after the procedure. Although there are general guides for care, you should listen to your surgeon and his guidelines.
- Try keeping your scalp dry on the first day after transplantation, which enables your skin to heal.
- Keep your scalp clean during the recovery process. Soreness and numbness may be felt, and you should not put anything on your scalp that may cause side effects.
- Take proper care of your scar. Scarring and itching are likely and you should deal with these using topical creams prescribed by your surgeon.
- You may take painkiller medications to ease discomfort and pain, three to four hours after the procedure.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight immediately after the hair transplantation, and also for the next few days.
- Avoid touching or fidgeting with your grafted scalp. Picking and rubbing your sore scalp may cause the new grafts to fall out before getting the chance to grow.
- Do not take alcohol for the first five days after the hair transplantation procedure.
- Abstain from smoking for one month after the procedure as it disrupts the flow of blood to your hair follicles.
- Do not involve yourself in any form of sports activity or exercise right after the procedure. You may resume working out after a period of ten days, and you must wait for one month to get back to other physical activities and sports.
- Avoid engaging in activities which result in intense sweating. Sweating enhances the risk of infections to your grafted scalp. You should also avoid steam baths or sauna treatments for one month after the procedure.
In case you are a diabetic, you need to talk to your surgeon about ways of handling your diet and insulin management, before and on the day of the hair transplantation procedure.
PRP is a latest, state of the art technology that employs non-surgical methods to stimulate hair growth in case of hair loss. Advancements in research have enabled scientists to make new inroads in the field of wound and tissue healing. The result of these researches is PRP, which is a natural way to rejuvenate your scalp, skin and stimulate your hair growth.
How does PRP work?
The presence of mesenchymal stem cells and autologous blood products in human blood contain specific growth factors that assist in tissue regeneration and healing. PRP has been used to heal skin and wounds for over two decades now. Apart from this it finds use in oral surgery, cosmetic surgery and neurosurgery as well. It is also the promising treatment to promote hair growth.
- It is a progressive healing treatment that doesn't require surgery.
- Simple, rapid and highly effective system.
- Autologous (from patient's own blood).
- The system is biocompatible and xeno-free, so there shouldn't be any safety concerns.
- Increase in the concentration of platelets can be observed.
- It helps in the elimination of undesired erythrocytes, which significantly decrease the fibroblast proliferation.
- Contains growth factors that help in the stimulation of growth of the hair follicles.
- Can be performed preoperatively, intraoperatively, or post operatively.
The Science of PRP
There are special cells called platelets used in PRP, that have been theoretically proved to stimulate hair follicles growth by stimulating stem cells and other important cells in the ecosystem of the follicles. They are instrumental in promoting the healing ability and regeneration of cells, formation of new cells and response to injury. PRP stimulates inactive or newly implanted hair follicles, and makes them active by inducing them into a growth phase.
Platelets are known to contain various structures, which are crucial for blood clotting and cell regeneration, and are released during the repair process by the body. Some of these structures are: glycogen, alpha granules and lysosomes.
Who should not go for PRP Treatment?
Those with heavy drug and smoking issue should avoid PRP. Also those who drink a lot of alcohol should avoid PRP. Those suffering from platelets related ailments, sepsis, chronic liver disease, thrombocytopenia, hyperfibrinogenemia, systemic disorders and cancer should also stay away from PRP.
At length, PRP is a boon for all those who aren't fans of surgery or the ones who prefer a more aggressive but non-surgical approach for treatment to their ailments. The results might vary from patient to patient, but it is certainly one of the most promising technologies to stimulate hair growth and rejuvenate your skin, and the results are quite convincing. So decide wisely!