Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Surat. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Hiren PatelYour feedback matters!
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - The woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
1. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
2. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
3. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
4. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
I m 38 yr. Old mother of one male child (5 yrs.) after normal delivery I used copper-T for 3 years. Last november I removed it. Now I m getting periods only for 2 or 3 days. Last date was 27th September 2015 and this time it came on 12th November. Overnight bleeding was there but very low flow. Is it possible that I m in my menopause stage?
Hi, I got married on 8th July 2016, we are planning kid after 3 year. I am 26 and my wife is also of 26, My question is How can I plan a healthy kid and painless pregnancy of my wife? We are non vegetarian, I am a smoker but she don't. Do we need any type of medical tests before we proceed for children. What should be in our diet for full sperm and eggs. I know this is not a good question to be asked, because no any husband think for their children before pregnancy.
Hi .my vaginal walls are too loose .i m just 22 yrs. Is there any medicine or exercise to tighten it.
Being positive is the best thing you can do for yourself!
Do you see life as a blessing, an opportunity or a burden? The answer to this question plays a significant role in shaping your existence as it decides your outlook towards life. Being positive or optimistic is highly beneficial for your psychological and physical well-being. Positive thinking is an idea that not only drives you towards success, but also makes way for happiness in your life.
Cultivating positivity is undoubtedly the best thing you can do for yourself as it makes your life worth living, besides delivering a bunch of health benefits.
Here are 6 of them.
1. Gives you a longer life span
A positive outlook not only keeps you happy, but also increases your life expectancy by manifold in comparison to people with pessimistic thoughts. A recent Dutch study analysed the thought patterns of people for 9 years to come to this conclusion. According to this study, which was published in JAMA Psychiatry, people with a generally pessimistic approach have decreased life expectancy by 55%.
2. Increases good cholesterol level
A research was conducted in 2013 by Harvard School of Public Health to find the link between optimism and cholesterol levels. The study was carried out among middle-aged people and it revealed that that optimistic thought patterns indicated increased levels of “good” cholesterol.
3. Boosts your immune system
Researchers are of the opinion that people who cultivate positive thoughts show a stronger immune response in comparison to people who associate themselves with negative emotions.
4. Increases your confidence
Having positive thoughts can be very advantageous for you as it teaches you to feel good about yourself. This encourages you to try new things and accept challenges more heartily, which in turn boosts your confidence level drastically. Increased self confidence drives you towards success and enhances your performance in all phases of life.
5. Helps you cope with stress better
Studies show that when optimists face a situation, which is not in their favour, they focus more on solving the problem instead of getting disappointed or frustrated. Positive thoughts make you enthusiastic and teach you to deal with any stressful situation with a smile, thereby helping you to work your way out of a crisis. It has also been observed that positive thinking among adolescents acts as a source of protection against depression and behavioural problems commonly faced during teenage.
6. Reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases
A recent study conducted by the American Heart Association, and published in its journal Circulation, showed that people who depicted a positive attitude towards life had decreased their chances of getting heart diseases by 73% in comparison to their pessimistic counterparts. According to researchers, this happens because optimism leads people towards a healthier lifestyle, comprising of a balanced diet and a proper exercise regime. Moreover, optimistic people also have the improved ability to deal with stress, which further points towards a healthy existence.
After how many weeks fetal heart beat can be recognized. My cousin is currently at 6th week undergone for scan, unfortunately heart beat not recognised on fetal.
My wife is on her early pregnancy. Just wanted to know whether dates milk shake can be consumed. And also what are all the fruits should be avoided.
Brown sugar or White sugar?
Brown bread or White bread?
Everyone is health conscious today and most of us now believe that #brown is always the most healthiest option. But is that really true?
No doubt brown rice has more fiber and is commonly used by weight conscious people. That's true but white rice is also nice. Moderate intake of white rice also acts as fat burner. White rice has Inositol, which has fat burning, anti-anxiety and irritability reducing property. So enjoy a mix of both.
Brown sugar and white sugar both have almost same calorie content 17kcal. But most of us tend to think that white sugar is refined so its not good for health. Sugar is not a killer itself. The way we use sugar makes it harmful. Intake of overloaded sugar in biscuits, pastries, cakes, sweets and dairy affects our health. Using white sugar in moderate amount in home made food is acceptable.
Both brown and white bread are source of energy. Best option for us is to eat chapati or rice that is cooked at home and fresh rather than choosing breads whose shelf life is only few hours.
I am 36 years, I married a girl who is 28 years four months ago her vagina is loose, may I know the reason for that, how can she tighten it.
Sir there is problem to my wife is that a white- white comes with toilet not during latrine as she told me tomorrow. This happened from day before yesterday. What is the reason behind it that's it occur and how can be it treated?
It is common for your sexual desires to be different now that you are pregnant. Changing hormones cause some women to experience an increased sex drive during pregnancy, while others may not be as interested in sex as they were before they became pregnant.
During the first trimester, some women commonly lose interest in sex because they are tired and uncomfortable, while other women's sexual desires stay the same.
Sexuality for both males and females is a complicated and often much misunderstood phenomena.
Are PE and ED serious conditions?
Interpreting these 'symptoms' is best done judiciously. ED is often a situational and perhaps a 'matching' issue. To put simply, this means that the male partner is anxious-about himself or about the desirability, correctness, environment or the reasons behind the anticipated event. Does this make the condition serious? That is best assessed by BOTH partners! PE is similar in the context described previously.
However, sometimes especially ED can be due to medications being consumed or due to some physical aberration like diabetes or hypertension. There are several medical and surgical conditions which might lead to ED and these always need to be adequately investigated and ruled out or treated. So in the approach to ED, keeping both 'situational' and medical/surgical factors in mind is always prudent, both for the sufferer as well as the physician.