Find numerous Dietitian/Nutritionists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Siliguri. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anita Shah
Submit a review for Dr. Anita ShahYour feedback matters!
I am 5'7 with a weight of 80 kg. Recently, I have changed my diet and I go for heavy fasting from 10 am to 5 pm. I eat boiled vegetables in dinner. U doing so, I have lost 3 kg in one week. How do I reduce more weight?
While a thick layer of hair on your head is a much sought after feature for men and women, body hair may often become a source of embarrassment. While women have been known for ages to remove hair off themselves for a smoother and more appealing look, men have also come to the fore in the recent years. Man-scaping is fast becoming as essential part of men’s grooming.:
Options for unwanted hair removal
While a razor is man’s best friend in most regards, it cannot simply be used to take care of hair in many hard to reach places. It is also extremely temporary and the resulting stubble in a few days will cause an itch, which can be very embarrassing as well as uncomfortable. Let’s looks at some of the possibilities for hair removal for men:
- Waxing: Using hot waxes or waxing creams with paper is a quick way to remove body hair. However it can be painful and you will have to go for repeat sessions frequently.
- Epilating creams: These creams are very convenient and painless and a fairly quick way to get rid of unwanted body hair. However, strong chemicals in these products may cause damage to your skin.
- Electrolysis: In this method a machine with tiny electrodes are used to zap the roots of the unwanted hair follicles which causes them to fall off and discourage them from growing back. Although this is a permanent way of removing hair, some follicles may still remain and grow back.
- Laser hair removal: This method is the most popular method of permanent hair removal and offers the most balanced benefits with the best results for the cost involved. This had been a very popular form of hair removal among women for quite some time, but it is also becoming very popular among men.
Facts about laser hair removal
1. How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal works with the help of a laser emitting high intensity infra red light from a diode. This is focused on individual hair follicles which are then damaged, thus resulting in the hair being removed permanently without any damage to your skin. This is a very safe and effective procedure which has the longest lasting results and is suited for all types of skin.
2. Cost comparison
Although laser treatments may seem more expensive than some of the other ones, you will have smooth, hairless skin in just a few sittings permanently. Thus in the long run, the cost effectiveness of laser hair removal is multiple times higher s compared to other methods. Waxing or epilating creams over the period of few years will end up costing you much more than a few sittings of laser hair removal that will give you a permanent solution with smooth skin.
Are you a woman suffering from diabetes? Diabetes is a group of metabolic diseases in which your blood sugar levels shoot up because of problems in the processing and production of insulin. Diabetes occurs in both men and women. However, there are some primary differences and contrasts between diabetes in men and in women.
The symptoms of diabetes in women are almost the same as those in men, except for some unique symptoms pertaining only to women, which include the following:
- Development of oral and vaginal yeast infections, along with vaginal thrush
- Urinary infections
- Sexual dysfunction
- Development of polycystic ovary syndrome
The common, general symptoms found in both men and women include a frequent urge for urination, enhanced hunger and thirst, fatigue, blurry vision, and sudden gain or loss of weight without obvious causes. Skin infections, irritability, nausea, darkening of skin in patches, a reduced feeling in the hands and feet are other general symptoms.
Diabetes and pregnancy
Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
If you are pregnant and have diabetes, you should consult your doctor to know about the best ways of managing your health, and the health of your baby. It is important to track down your blood glucose levels before and during your pregnancy. While you are pregnant, glucose and ketones reach your baby via the placenta, and the baby utilizes this as energy. As such, too high glucose levels may leave your baby at risk.
This form of diabetes occurs in 9% of pregnancies in which the pregnancy hormones interfere with how insulin works. This results in the body making more insulin. In some women, the insulin produced is not enough and therefore, gestational diabetes develops.
Women are more prone to diabetes when the following factors are present:
- If you are above the age of 45
- If you are obese and have a family history of diabetes
- If you gave birth to a baby who weighed more than nine pounds
- If you have hypertension or high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
- If you are not into any form of exercise
- If you suffer from other health conditions, which are linked with insulin problems like PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome, or are having a history of stroke and heart diseases
There are certain prominent differences between diabetes occurring in men and women. Women receive less aggressive treatment for other conditions associated with diabetes. The complications caused in women because of diabetes are more challenging to diagnose properly. Moreover, the hormones and inflammation also work differently in the case of women. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.