Doctors in GD Hospital
I had extreme knee pain. I had a great experience going through the whole treatment. Dr Patidar was available all the time for smallest of doubt. I am now able to walk like a young person again.
Are you aware of the health conditions - osteoporosis and gout? Both these conditions are associated with your joints and bones. They are both difficult diseases and require proper treatment. Osteoporosis concerns the bones, in which the bones are at a risk of breaking due to decreased strength. This condition is quite common in elderly people with brittle bones. Gout is a very painful form of arthritis and is featured by joint inflammation. The pain and inflammation occur due to the deposition of urate crystals in a joint when uric acid is present in excess in the body.
The symptoms of osteoporosis include pain and stiffening in a joint and swelling in the joints, especially in the thumbs, neck, knees and lower back. A patient’s skin may turn red and he may feel unusually hot.
Combined treatments are prescribed for osteoarthritis. Treatment aims at improving joint function, maintaining a healthy body weight, reducing pain and achieving a healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise is important for reducing pain, increasing flexibility and for improving blood circulation. You should take measures to lose weight in order to reduce the stress on the joints which bear weight. You should take sufficient amount of rest along with proper sleep. There are other alternative therapies for osteoarthritis treatment without the use of prescribed drugs. Hot and cold therapy is ideal for easing pain and increasing blood flow. Some forms of massage therapies are also ideal for giving relief to osteoarthritis pain.
There are several symptoms of gout, which occur all of a sudden. Intense joint pain is indicated and the large joint of the big toe is especially affected. It may also occur in the feet, ankles, knees, hands and wrists. The joint discomfort may last even after the intense pain subsides. The affected joints get swollen, arm, red and tender.
The treatment for gout aims at relieving severe pain and preventing future gout attacks along with long-term complications. The treatment methods include medicines and several home cure methods. Specific treatment is also prescribed based on the intensity of attacks and for preventing complications. As a part of long-term prevention methods, you should keep on taking your prescribed medicines, manage your body weight, exercise regularly and limit your intake of meat, seafood and alcohol.
Osteoarthritis and gout require timely diagnosis and treatment if you want to prevent them from worsening. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The problem of morning back and neck pain may be due to the position of sleeping or it may be related to inflammatory arthritis which can be familial. Morning back pain is largely related to wrong sleeping posture and less commonly due to arthritic conditions like Ankylosing Spondylitis or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Whatever be the cause- this condition requires attention by an Orthopedic doctor as it may worsen in due course of time and should not be taken lightly.
Some common factors causing this are:
- Mattress: Too soft or too hard a mattress might induce back ache after sleep. For people with waist and hips of equal proportion, a firmer mattress would do well. For those with narrower waist than their hips, a flexible and softer mattress that can move with the pelvic weight would be a perfect choice. Refrain from using old hardened mattresses.
- Pillow: The pillow you use must be able to render support to your neck naturally. Instead of using excessively firm or soft pillow, try substituting it with memory foam pillows, refillable water pillows or cervical support pillows.
- Posture: Not changing your position while sleeping or sleeping on the belly exerts strain on the back muscles, causing pain. On the other hand, sleeping on the back or on the sides causes comparatively less strain on the spine.
- Other causes such as strenuous workouts or physical activities or sitting at a stretch during the day might cause pain while sleeping or after getting up from bed.
Remedies for Morning Back Pain:
Fortunately, there are some home remedies to cure the morning back pain.
- Switching your mattress is a more expensive remedy for back pain, but may often be the ultimate cure. Most people sleep the best on medium-firm mattresses. Be sure to try out the mattress before you buy it.
- For occasional back pain after sleeping, apply heat to your back to relax your muscles before you go to bed and when you get up in the morning.
- Massage your back with pain relieving creams and apply heat on it with a heating pad for quick relief.
- Specific spinal stretching exercises and Planks (a type of exercise) can greatly help in easing back pain, if done on a regular basis.
- It is always recommended to CONSULT an Orthopaedic doctor if you suffer from morning back pain.
If you are suffering from arthritis, it is important for you to know about how it affects your knee and other joints. Arthritis is a chronic, systematic inflammatory disease which damages your joints and connective tissues. Your knee is commonly affected by arthritis and there are three primary types of arthritis that occur in the knees. They include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis.
Types of arthritis
The different types of arthritis affecting the knees occur due to different reasons. Osteoarthritis is a progressive condition, which wears away the joint cartilage over time. Rheumatoid arthritis is an inflammatory condition, which may occur at any age. Post-traumatic arthritis occurs after an injury is inflicted to the knee and may occur several years after a ligament injury or knee fracture.
- Arthritis pain may occur all of a sudden but develops slowly. In the early stages, the pain is observed in the morning after you have been inactive over the night. Pain is likely when you want to move around. Pain may be experienced even when immobile.
- Periodic inflammation is a common symptom of arthritis of the knee. This happens because of the formation of bone spurs or excess fluids in your knee. The swelling gets pronounced after being inactive for a long period. The skin on your knee may look red and feel warm while you touch it. This may lead to chronic inflammation, which is very difficult to manage.
There are several ways of treating knee arthritis. The mode of treatment depends on the severity and cause of knee arthritis. NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed for dealing with arthritis pain temporarily. Other medicines used for knee arthritis treatment are as follows:
- Analgesics, which help in pain reduction act as good alternatives to NSAIDS.
- Corticosteroids are used for reducing inflammation.
- Certain DMARDs or disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs are used.
Certain injections that are used for helping with knee arthritis. They include:
- Hyaluronic acid supplements, which ease the pain and inflammation by lubricating your knee joints.
- Corticosteroid injections also soothe inflammation and pain.
You may also require a surgery for dealing with knee arthritis when other modes of treatment fail. The most common surgeries are as follows:
- Total joint replacement, where your knee is replaced with a prosthetic made of metal, plastic or ceramic.
- Osteotomy, where the knee bones are modified for controlling pressure and damage in the knees.
- Arthroscopy, where an incision is made in the knee for removing damaged parts.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!