Get help from best doctors, anonymously
Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

My relation who is 24 years is suffering from schizophrenia and he is refusing to use medicines prescribed by Doctors. What should be done Is there any alternative? Is Electric Convulsion Treatment (ECT} is an answer to this. If so is it advisable and risks involved.

2 Doctors Answered
Please do not consider ECT unless all other alternatives have been tried. It is normally the last line of action. You should ask your doctor to prescribe medication that can be surreptitiously slipped into his food or drink and when he has it, he will feel more amenable to talking and meeting a counselor first, and under that person's recommendation a doctor. When all else fails, the doctor himself or herself will recommend ECT. It is only avoided for teenagers due to the long term effects.
1 person found this helpful
For a condition like schizophrenia, it would be ideal if the patient is able to take medication regularly. However, it is a challenge as well. In such cases, the next option available is usually that of injections that can be administered on a fortnightly or monthly basis. ECT is usually considered when the patient is quite agitated or suicidal, in which case it is found to be very effective. It is a safe option and the risks involved are only those that are associated with anaesthesia for individuals having other medical illness (hypertension, cardiac problem etc). In the absence of such risks, one would experience mild headache or body pains after the ECT.
1 person found this helpful
Suggestions offered by doctors on Lybrate are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by Lybrate is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.