Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Komal Mehta
Customised Diet Chart
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Healthy Heart Diet
Child Nutrition Management
Immunity Therapy Treatment
Nutrition Assessment Service
Treatment Of Foot Infection
Asthma Treatment & Management
Diet Therapy Treatment
Weight Management Counseling
Submit a review for Dt. Komal MehtaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Lifestyle changes such as eating healthy and exercising are to be incorporated in everyone’s life. The awareness to go organic is being spread wide, mostly because of social media. Analysis of the food we eat and questioning the components of our diet is very much necessary and this has created a lot of facts and myths. In the world that we live in today, we weigh multiple options for choosing the right one. One such comparison is between white eggs and brown eggs. The egg shell color influences consumers to a great extent.
Nutritional value: Eggs are filled with nutritional value. About 70 calories, 6 grams of protein and vitamin B are the components of eggs. Eggs are a very good source of protein. The egg yolk contains a lot of cholesterol. Those who would want to avoid cholesterol can take only the egg white. Carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are the other nutrients present in eggs. They lower the risk of macular degeneration. Choline, another element present in the eggs helps in memory development.
Types of eggs: The common labels one could see in the case of eggs are free-run, organic, free-roaming, vegetarian fed, Omega-3 enriched and graded eggs. These categories are based on the diet and lifestyle of the hens. Some hens are fed vegetarian food and are not given animal proteins. Some are not caged and are let in open spaces. These hens lay eggs in their nests and some are fed with flax seeds. Such eggs are labeled as Omega-3 enriched.
White vs brown eggs: Here are a few points to ponder about the difference between white eggs and brown eggs.
- Shell: The color of the shell is the major difference between brown and white eggs. The egg shells of brown color are believed to be hard, which is nothing but a myth. Young chickens lay harder shelled eggs.
- Nutritional value: The color does not really determine the egg quality. What really matters is the hen's diet. Two hens, given the same diet, lay eggs with the same nutritional value irrespective of the color of the shell.
- Yolk: It is believed that brown eggs have richly colored yolks when compared to white eggs. This is determined by the amount of corn the hen eats rather than the eggshell color.
- Cost: White chicken lays white eggs and brown chicken lays brown eggs. Brown eggs are costlier than white eggs. This is because the maintenance of brown chickens cost more. They are larger in size and they require more food. This costs the farmers more.
- Taste: White eggs and brown eggs taste the same. There are not many differences when it comes to taste of the eggs. This again depends on the food to the hen.
- Bleaching of white eggs: White eggs are not bleached to make them appear white. As mentioned earlier, the color of the hen influences the color of the eggs. Sometimes brown hens lay white eggs but the color of the resulting white egg is darker than a normal white egg. This has no connection with bleaching.
The nutritional value is the same for both the eggs. The major things that cause a difference between these two eggs are the shell color and cost. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Breakfast is the first meal of the day, so ideally it should also be the largest meal of the day. There are many foods that you may eat for breakfast, but not all of them are beneficial to your health. So, you should pick foods that provide your body with the necessary nutrients in the right quantities.
The best breakfast foods are:
- Oatmeal: Oats contain complex carbohydrates and fiber that induce satiety. They are also rich in potassium, folate and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for the body. You can combine oats with honey and chopped fruits to add flavor and taste.
- Greek yoghurt: Yoghurt is a derivative of milk, rich in protein and probiotics. It is extremely beneficial for weight loss, your digestive system and overall body. You may add chopped apples and mangoes to the yoghurt and make a smoothie for your breakfast.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit helps in optimizing your blood sugar levels and insulin sensitivity. It also promotes satiety and contains high amount of immunity boosting elements. You can combine this fruit with complex carbs, such as whole wheat pasta and a protein source to balance the meal.
- Bulgar wheat: Bulgar wheat or broken wheat is a good source of fiber and manganese; it is also a complex carbohydrate, which promotes blood sugar stability. You may boil Bulgar wheat along with vegetables to make porridge, add a boiled egg to the mix and you have a super healthy breakfast dish.
- Whole wheat wraps: Whole wheat is rich in magnesium, which reduces the chance of metabolic disorders, such as diabetes. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties along with keeping your blood sugar steady. Stir fry some vegetables and then wrap it in a whole wheat pita bread. This will also add vitamins and antioxidants in large measure thus, adding quality nutrition to your breakfast.
- Upma: Upma is a very healthy and light dish for breakfast as it contains carbohydrates, fats and proteins in a balanced amount. It is digested slowly in the body; hence it does not spike your blood sugar levels. It also promotes satiety and does not cause bloating. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Statistics show that lifestyle disorders such as diabetes are on the rise, and one of the primary reasons for this is the radical diet change that has happened in the past score. The current diet trends are focused on carbohydrates and unhealthy fats. Fast food has attained prominence because of time constraints; people are now busier and thus prefer food on the go. Maximum of such ‘on the go’ alternatives are packed with unhealthy sugars.
So if you are looking to lose fat, diet is the point where you would want to start. Here is a DIY guide to make that fat disappear:
Eliminate Hidden Sugars: First of all, avoid buying processed food and you won’t require this step. But for some of you, who don’t always have access to home cooked food – there is still hope. If you are buying packaged foods, then read the label very carefully. Avoid foods whose sugar content is more than 5 grams.
Include Complex Carbohydrates: Foods that contain complex carbohydrates are better than foods that contain simple carbohydrates. The reason being that complex carbohydrates are absorbed slowly into the bloodstream, without spiking the blood sugar levels. A piece of advice over here would be to watch the portions.
Eat Fat: Contrary to popular belief, eating fat does not make you fat. Fat is required in the body for many of its functions. The aim is to control the potion size as fat contains higher amount of calories. Fat makes you fuller so that you eat less. Include foods such as almonds and walnuts as they are healthy snacks.
Restrict Fruit Intake: Fruits are good for you as they are a good source of various Vitamins and antioxidants. However, one of the downsides of fruits is that they contain fructose, which is the fruit sugar. Pick fruits that are low on sugar such as watermelon, guava and pear.
- Pick healthy when you go out: If you must eat outside, then select dishes low on the carb count. Go for salads without the fat filled dressings; you could ask for a sprinkle of olive oil and some spices. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Be it burgers, bagels, muffins, sandwiches or simple toasts, bread has made headway into the diets of a huge portion of the populace. Although a staple diet for many since time immemorial, the consumption of bread has increased extensively in the recent past. But, which type of bread should we intake to incur the best health impacts is a question that bothers many. The general assumption is that the wholegrain variety is the best alternative. However, the barrage of marketing tactics makes it impossible to distinguish the best variety from the others.
There are a whole lot of myths surrounding the best variety of bread and you must choose wisely before settling for one particular type. It is expedient to look beyond the overt appearance or the name of the bread, one needs to be wary of the ingredient before taking a call.
Mostly, white bread is made out of refined flour which is often striped off essential nutrients and fibers. To worsen the situation, white bread is often bleached with certain chemicals to enhance its appearance.
Certain assumptions deem brown bread as the healthier option. Unfortunately, it isn't true always. More often than not, brown bread is simply white bread with artificial coloring added to it or is caramelized. They essentially add no surplus nutritional value.
Similarly, multigrain bread can often mislead the consumers about its health impacts. Unlike whole wheat bread, multigrain breads are usually chemically treated with softened grains. This does not effectively recover the lost nutrients of the bread.
Whole wheat bread has more pronounced health benefits. It contains more wheat germ and fibers in comparison to the more processed varieties of bread. Having evaded the toxic additives, it has relatively healthier effects on our blood sugar levels.
As you realize that the bread that you eat does not necessarily affect your health favorably, wisdom lies in seeking out the least harmful variety. In that context, rye bread or spelt bread contains greater amount of minerals. Besides, bread made from barley, oats and millets have greater mineral content than the commercially hybridized varieties and promote better health.
Despite them being sweet and tasty, there are no nutritional benefits to sodas whatsoever. Moreover, doctors from all over the globe have concluded that numerous health risks are linked to soda pop consumption. Here are a number of reasons to help you arrive at a more comprehensive understanding of the harmful effects of soda on your health:
- It has been scientifically backed up that drinking sodas is absolutely pointless. Because sodas have been found to contain nothing but sugar and calories, there is really no reason why you should drink soda. Further, even diet sodas have no particular nutritional value attached to them, despite the claim that they have zero to no calories.
- The sugar contained in soda often combines with bacteria present in your mouth to form certain types of acid. These, along with carbolic inherently present in carbonated sodas, work together to have a damaging influence on your teeth, leading to cavities and tooth decay.
- Sodas can also prove to be injurious to your major organs, and are associated with conditions such as chronic kidney disease, chronic liver disease and the development of metabolic syndromes.
- Because of the presence of large amounts of high fructose corn syrup, there is a greater risk of obesity. Furthermore, because of its high sugar content and its perverse effects on hormonal levels in the body, soda consumption is also associated with the development of type 2 diabetes, besides other complications like increased appetite and greater difficulty losing weight.
- Soda consumption also tends to soften bone strength and contributes to lower bone density. The presence of caffeine and phosphorus in most sodas further increases the risk of acquiring disease such as osteoporosis.
Fortunately, there are tons of options, which you can choose over soda pop. These alternative beverages will most naturally contain higher nutritional value and benefits. A few alternatives include:
- Fruit juice
- Powdered drink mixes
Burning fat with food must sound contradictory, but there are certain foods that can actually melt away your fats by improving your metabolism. Some foods have an extensive thermogenic effect (metabolism increasing effects) that can lead to reduction of fat in your body. Read on to find out five such super foods and burn your fat away.
Tuna is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and it also helps boost the production of a hormone called leptin. This particular hormone gives the illusion of fullness and you don't end up having large portions. It also accelerates your metabolic process. Apart from tuna, sardines too have the same properties.
The benefits of green tea are widely known. It has 'epigallocatechin' which improves the nervous system and elevates the heart rate. Drinking three cups of green tea daily has proven to burn up to 80 calories.
Different kinds of hot peppers not only spice up your food but they also melt calories. Capsaicin, a chemical present in peppers can increase metabolism rate by 25% for up to three hours after you consume your meal.
This delicious fruit has the amazing power to make you slim. Grapefruit has an antioxidant called 'naringenin' which can aid your body in its use of insulin more effectively, thereby keeping the blood sugar level under control and prevent diabetes. Recent studies have shown that sugar control coupled with grapefruits lead to improved calorie burn.
The body needs a lot of energy to break down and digest whole grains which causes it to use more calories. You literally burn your fats when you eat whole grains. Start your day with a bowl of oats which will not only keep you full but also aid your metabolism.
How to tackle the harsh summer heat?
Well, there are some commonly known cooling foods like buttermilk, curds, coconut water, watermelon. Besides this, there are some food which our grandma must have used every summer. Do consider that!