Lybrate.com has top trusted Dietitian/Nutritionists from across India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Avanti Damle
Submit a review for Dt. Avanti DamleYour feedback matters!
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder characterized by Hyperglycemia (elevated blood glucose level) due to either reduced production of insulin or the inability of the body to utilize the insulin produced. Today management of diabetes has become a prime concern. Over the winter months, diabetic patients are likely to suffer from higher blood glucose levels than during the warmer months. As the temperature drops and the sugar levels up, thus, diabetic patients should be extra careful about the temperature fluctuations or seasonal changes.The cold weather makes diabetics experience many health problems, besides creating a major change in their sugar levels.
Following are the most harmful effects that diabetic patients may suffer from during the cold weather
- Change in hemoglobin level: There is a great change in their glycated hemoglobin levels. Whatever the type of diabetes an individual has, the freezing temperature can increase the level of HbA1c or glycated hemoglobin. This is most likely because of decreased physical activity. Cold weather makes it difficult for some people to go out. A little activity each day can help with insulin sensitivity (in all types of diabetes) which can help the body to regulate sugar level in a better way.
- Prone to diseases: Since the immune system is also not at its best strength in winters, there are increased incidences of microbial infections like cold and flu or in some cases pneumonia. As a result, the body produces counterregulatory hormones (Cortisol, Adrenaline, and Glucagon) to counteract the situation. These hormones affect the utilization of insulin by the body thereby elevating the blood glucose level. Also, conditions like flu and cold tend to make them feel lethargic and stress and can prevent them from taking the diet, which is required, which eventually can lead to an increase in the blood sugar level.
- Winter blues: It is often seen that people feel low during winters, as they tend to go out less and prefer to stay indoors. Less outdoor activity during winters can sometimes trigger mood swings or in some cases depression, which in turn can shoot up the level of blood sugar in their body. Thus it is advisable that one should spend more time with friends and family, in order to keep these blues at bay.
- Other problems: Most diabetic people are unaware of their nerve functions, and are unable to feel the difference between the cold and hot water, which can lead to burn injury. Also, during the winter season, most diabetic patients tend to lose feeling in their toes and feet due to vascular changes. Therefore, it is advisable that people should check their feet frequently, so as to ensure that there is no open wound or pressure area in their feet. One must take very good care of their feet, keep them moisturized, inner fingers clean and dry, prevent any type of fungal growth in toes, etc. By taking required preventive measures before the onset of winters diabetic patients can control their blood sugar level, which enables them to stay away from associated problems.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The activity of delaying or putting off something is known as procrastination. Even the best individuals battle with it consistently. However, some people accomplish something that the majority of us do not- they push past it. They do not permit it to influence their work. They develop brilliant and beneficial techniques to break past mental obstructions and remain productive. Here are a few ways with which you can beat procrastination:
- Try to start: Starting something can be very difficult. However, in case that you can get over that part, you will have some level of energy. Even your brain will probably goad you to continue dealing with the task. This happens because of a mental phenomenon called the Zeigarnik impact. It says that unfinished tasks will probably stay in your memory. This is exactly why planned things and to-do lists consistently appear in your mind until you finish them.
- Separate huge tasks into smaller assignments: Enormous tasks can frighten you, so you put them off. By taking that huge task and separating it into smaller assignments, you can decrease your burden make a start. This could include concentrating on one part of the research to begin with.
- Ask yourself “why?”: It is easier to inspire yourself to accomplish something you value. In case you are attempting to complete something, why not spend a couple of minutes asking yourself precisely why you need to do it and why it is so important to you. Weighing out the positives and negatives of the task and its benefits for you, can make you decide and perform better.
- Attempt to take a break: For those who procrastinate out of having worked too much, it does not mean you have to complete the task at once. This is known as the "sunk cost bias." The "sunk cost bias" influences players, speculators, and even a procrastinator. They feel that the task will need to be completed now and cannot be completed in the future. In some cases, a task simply does not mean you have to work on it more and more after hours.
- Go easy on yourself: To beat procrastination, you should be strict with yourself. However, that is not what science says. In case that you have procrastinated till now, you will probably begin on time going ahead. You need to show yourself some sympathy for your previous laziness instead of thrashing yourself about it.
Self-control is an important quality many successful individuals have. Having self-control permits you to carefully understand why you are procrastinating and can likewise, work towards it. When you understand why you are doing so, it will be easier for you to make a plan to beat it. This will allow you to see the underlying cause of your problem as well.
Hi. My weight is 37 Kg and height 163 cm. I am under weight. Please tell how to gain Normal weight. And I am also vegetarian.
hello sir, I am suffering from hair losses and i am gaining weight also sir please advise me and help me.
For Children and Families
Start the day with a healthy breakfast. It refuels your body and gives you energy for the day.
Let kids help plan one meal each week and eat together as often as possible.
Eat slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you are full.
Eat more vegetables and fresh fruits. Aim for a total of 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables every day.
Eat more whole grains (e.g., oats, brown rice, rye, crackers, whole-wheat pasta). Try to eat at least 3 ounces of whole grains every day.
Drink plenty of fluids. Choose water, low-fat or nonfat milk and low calorie or diet beverages.
I want to loose weight as I am over weight my height is 163 n weight 101 kg kindly guide I take normal India food which is flooded in everyone's house but still I am not loosing weight I am a teacher by profession.
I'm 33years old I'm having trouble with health no increase in wait at all from 12th I'm 50 to 55kg. Lack of hunger and indigestion due to non veg foods.
Eating healthy and maintaining a happy number on the weighing scale is stuff that dreams are made of - or so you thought! It is never too late to get on to the weight loss bandwagon in case you have a few extra pounds that you are not too proud of. But the concern is how to get rid of the pesky extra kilos in a smooth sailing and effortless manner?
Well, that's easy - take these diet ideas and lose weight effortlessly even as you eat healthy!
- Shop Right: Get nutrition right by first of all shopping right. When you fill your kitchen and pantry with healthy food, remember that good food choices will automatically follow you. So, ditch the packaged food and go for fresh ingredients that can help you cook up a storm even as you get aromatic and rich homemade flavours, right on your table. And remember there is nothing better than the satisfaction of a home cooked meal at the end of the day. Throw in some organic grains, put out the brown bread, and get yourself some fresh tasting ingredients to make a pasta sauce from scratch or prepare a salad dressing in a matter of minutes.
- Smaller Crockery: Are you guilty of overeating? The real culprit might just be your crockery - or rather, its size. Try taking on smaller portions with smaller bowls and plates. This will ensure that you take smaller heapfuls by default, and before you know it, your stomach will be full!
- Smaller Meals, Bigger Effect: You may have heard this being said many times, but it is true. The trick is to pace your metabolism and throw small quantities at it, so that it is easier to break the food down faster. Take at least five to six meals in a day and watch how soon your tummy starts to shape up and lose its flab.
- Mental Hunger: Hungry for a snack and ravenously so? Well, it may be time to tackle that pesky mental hunger. Begin by taking a few glasses of water and then give yourself a few nuts like almonds as well as some raisins. Keep these kinds of snacks handy so that you can pass your time when you are bored or even anxious, without overeating and putting on excessive kilos.
- Vegetables and Fruit: A good dose of fibre can help in tightening your contours because these digestive fibres are well known for flushing toxins out of your system and breaking down the food really fast!
So get on the effective diet bandwagon and banish those fad diets from your menu, today! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized dietitian-nutritionist and ask a free question.