Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Urvashi Yavalkar
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Urvashi YavalkarYour feedback matters!
My wife undergone d and c on may 2015 after that her periods not been regular what would be the reason behind this?
Hello, I am 24 years old and married. I just moved from India to Australia in August itself with my husband. My periods are usually normal but this month its 7 days late. I am really scared if i'm pregnant. Please suggest me what can I do because I don't want to be pregnant now. Can I induce my periods somehow? I ate papaya and had ginger tea as well yesterday but nothing happened. Please guide me.
I am a 20 years old girl, with PCOS. I'm sexually active but have never had unprotected sex. Recently I started getting some breast pain and now along with the pain, I have some white tiny spots on my nipples, not areola but on my nipples. I'm worried is this breast cancer? I know can't be pregnant, so is it breast cancer?
Hi sir my wife is no pregnancy after 2 year of marriage I have checkup by many doc but no result he says the tube are blocker and agg fertility is low so please help me.
Hi after my first baby again after 12 months i became pregnant and now iam 7 month's pregnant . I want to know whether is it good to have family planning. Please tell me what should I do?
Hello doctor My breast milk low after using lactare tablet also is there any other medicine to increase breast milk. My baby is 1 month he is under weight only 3.2 kg. I been using home remedies also but no such result? Plzz help me doctor.
My new baby born in 26 july 2016 by small operation 4 stich in my wife vagina know from till date we are not making any relationship. So kindly tell me when we make relationship. Thanks Chandan.
I am 26 years old married female. I don't want to conceive for next 2 yrs. What are the best contraceptive methods other than condom.
Hello doctor Doctor my problem is since yesterday night I have got a terrible pain in upar part of vagina its feel like stretch in my vein . An white discharge problem also.
Excessive bleeding during menstruation is the bane of countless women’s lives worldwide. Your doctor will classify your periods as heavy if you bleed enough to soak a pad every hour for several consecutive hours.
Passing large clots during menstruation and a period that lasts over seven days also are counted as excessive menstrual bleeding. Apart from messing up with daily activities, heavy bleeding or menorrhagia can also lead to anaemia which in turn causes shortness of breath and fatigue.
Hormonal imbalance is a big cause. If you are a teenager, you can easily have an imbalance in oestrogen and progesterone leading to heavy periods. This imbalance also easily presents in menopausal women.
- Hormonal imbalance can also be seen if there is a problem in ovarian function.
- Fibroids are another cause of heavy bleeding. Non-cancerous tumours of the uterus are another cause. Fibroids mostly occur during childbearing years.
- Miscarriages or ectopic pregnancies that occur in fallopian tubes are another cause of heavy bleeding.
- Use of medicines that thin blood in people with heart problems
- Intrauterine devices or IUDs used for birth control can also cause heavy bleeding.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease, PID, which is an infection of the uterus, fallopian tubes, and other organs of the reproductive system, can cause heavy bleeding.
- Cervical, uterine and ovarian cancers can also cause this symptom.
- Low platelet counts that can prevent normal blood clotting due to liver, kidney, or thyroid disease.
The doctor will examine you and determine the cause of the heavy bleeding. And depending on the cause, treatment will be carried out. There are a few medicines that are prescribed for menorrhagia like:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to cut down on blood loss and minimise the pain
- Hormone therapy can be done for stabilising hormones as well as the lining of the uterus and regulate the menstrual cycle
- Inserted IUD can also be removed in case the bleeding is too excessive
Surgery can also be considered depending on your case history. One of the following surgical procedures is usually recommended
- Dilation and curettage - D&C involves dilating the cervix or the entrance of the uterus and cleaning the lining of the uterus.
- Hysteroscopy - A long, thin scope is inserted into the uterus through the vagina and the doctor is able to see and simultaneously remove uterine masses that may be causing heavy bleeding.
- Hysterectomy - If all else fails, the uterus is removed. This puts a stop to a woman’s chances of having a baby ever.
Heavy bleeding should not be ignored as it puts you at risk of iron-deficiency anaemia which can affect your whole body.