Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Swapnil
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SwapnilYour feedback matters!
since last 4 days my daughter was suffering from fever. I visited that clinic twice but doctor had prescribed same medicine like earlier and there was no relief at all. the sitiation became worst and I feel helpless. people are sumply thinking about making income by calling patient twive and thrice. will never visit Vatsalya clinic again. sorry
Emotional abuse is a lesser known topic that is very important to talk about. Most individuals are oblivious to the fact that such a term even exists. This article is mainly about educating people about what emotional abuse is, how it affects children, thereby, affecting the upcoming generation altogether.
Like physical abuse, emotional abuse too is very real and harmful enough to cause enormous damage to a child’s mental health. So what exactly is emotional abuse?
Any sort of persistent, emotional neglect or emotional maltreatment can become emotional abuse to children and may cause havoc in their emotional development. The world runs at a very fast pace and parents usually are caught up in earning well for the family, raising the children properly and transforming them into respectable adults. This entire process brings about enormous stress and frustration. As such, unknowingly or knowingly, these parents end up emotionally abusing their children. No, that is not the end of it. It is not only the parents who can cause emotional abuse, but also there are numerous other factors to be considered.
So to make the explanation process easier, here are some points that explain what emotional or psychological abuse includes.
- Scaring or humiliating a child deliberately and regularly
- Isolating or ignoring a child
- Telling a child that he/she is worthless, inadequate or unloved
- Not providing the children any opportunity to express him/her by deliberately silencing them or making fun of their expression
- Age inappropriate or developmentally inappropriate expectations from children. For example, making a child believe that topping the class is necessary and is a shame otherwise.
- Overprotecting the child and hindering their exploration and learning
- Preventing them from participating in an absolutely normal social interaction. For example, asking girls not to mix with boys and punishing them for doing so.
- A child seeing or hearing utter ill-treatment of another child or person
- Serious bullying by other children and cyber bullying
- Threatening a child and calling names
- Making a child perform any sort of act that might be degrading
- Exposing a child to distressing interactions like domestic abuse or drug abuse.
- Not expressing positive or congratulatory feelings to the child
- Not showing any sort of emotional attachment or interactions with the child
- Causing physical abuse to the child.
- Trying too hard to control the child’s life and not allowing him/her to recognize their individuality.
Yes, there is no such thing as good parenting or bad parenting. However, parents need to know how much any sort of emotional abuse may affect the future development of their child.
Hi. My 14 month old son has been waking up every hour at night since a month. Otherwise he would sleep at least 3 to 4 hrs at a stretch and then wake up for feed and back to sleep. I don't given him milk during the day just at night for his feeds. Please advise. Thanks.
2 month old baby is doing potty 4 times a day and also passing little watery stool whole day in small amounts and also has stool infection as we done with stool t est and it shows mucous and 3-4 pus cell and she is taking mother milk.
I sleep with my son (Age: 6 months) with the room air conditioning on (Min temp: 24°C Max temp: 26°C). We make him wear a full shirt and than cover him with a mini blanket and a bed sheet. Jus want to know if the air conditioning is harmful for my son or is it an ok thing?
Ear pain is also called as an earache or otalgia. The pain may be associated with fever, malaise, sore throat etc. Sometimes, a patient can indulge in rubbing ears or pulling of ears rather than directly complaining about the pain.
Ear pain may be caused by primary affections of the ear, or it may be caused by secondary affections of other parts which can cause referred pain.
What are the primary causes of ear pain?
Following are the most common causes of ear pain in small children:
- Infection of the ears: An infection of the middle ear, especially the eardrum, is the most common cause. An infection from the nasal passage can be transmitted to the ear via Eustachian tube. It usually occurs in winter as infections are common during winters.
- Due to swimming: Most children who are swimmers land up with an ear infection, as water from the pool enters the ear canal. The entry introduces an infection in the ear cavity that presents with ear pain.
- Due to an injury to the ear canal: An injury to the ear canal can occur either because of a cotton swab, a fingernail, or a pin which can lead to ear pain.
- Due to abscess formation in the ear canal: An abscess can be formed in the ear due to infection, and it can cause severe throbbing pain in children.
- Due to an accumulation of earwax: Excessive accumulation of earwax in the ear is one of the most common reasons for ear pain in children. It usually causes mild ear pain.
- Due to blockage of the ear canal by foreign objects: Small children usually put small objects, such as a ball, in the ear canal. Due to it, children may complain mild-to-moderate pain.
- Due to blockage of the ear while traveling in the airplane: Sometimes, the ear tube gets blocked due to sudden increases in air pressure and causes stretching of the eardrum, ultimately leading to ear pain.
What are the secondary causes of ear pain in children?
Following are the most common causes of ear pain in small children:
- Dental pain referring to the ear: The pain can occur during dentition or due to dental caries in the children due to a common nerve supply.
- Due to infection of another gland, such as the parotid gland: Sometimes, mumps, parotitis can be associated with ear pain as the parotid gland is present in front of the ear.
- Due to disorders of the temporomandibular joint In this condition, ear pain can occur while opening the mouth, chewing, etc.
- Other illnesses that can cause referred ear pain include lymphadenopathy, lymphadenitis, or an injury to the spine.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My baby is 6 months old. Till now I was giving her powdered milk (Farex). From now. please suggest me which type of milk is best for my baby. 1. Powdered milk 2. Cow milk 3. Toned milk of packet (for eg. Mother dairy) And why!
Pregnancy is a journey in itself where you tend to go through physical changes, psychological changes and social changes as well. While the body struggles to cope with the hormonal and other major changes, the mind also tries continuously to adapt and cope with emotional as well as mental stress. Teenagers are considered to still be in a maturing stage when they have difficulty dealing with factors such as peer stress, emotional ups and downs, identity issues, personality building challenges and psychological barriers.
Psychological Barrier in Teenage Pregnancy: As per the Pediatrics Journal, teenage mothers tend to have higher rate of depression compared with adult women who experience pregnancy. This may be due to various reasons like difficulty to face the society, unplanned pregnancy, immaturity to deal with pregnancy and related symptoms, own social involvements, which come between pregnancy and a whole lot of reasons.
However, the psychological effects and stress, which account for these barriers are sometimes quite severe and according to researchers, teen mothers often show symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which may sometimes lead to suicidal tendencies.
Signs and Symptoms of Stress and Trauma:
- Some of the major stress signs in teenage pregnancy either in the prepartum or postpartum period may include anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, eating disorders, insufficient sleep, sadness or mood swings.
- Already teenage pregnancy leads to excessive mental stress and if there is a complication in delivery or premature birth before 37 weeks, the level of depression tends to get higher.
- There is a distinct difference between postpartum depression and baby blues. While baby blues are similar to stress and sleep problems, eating troubles, mood fluctuations seem the same as postpartum depression, they tend to go off within two to three weeks, while depression lasts.
- Excessive fatigue resulting into a brittle mood.
- Sudden attacks of panic are also quite common.
- Difficulties in bonding with baby or having patience with baby's demands.
This type of stress and trauma may lead to child abuse, neglecting children or depression. Lowered self-confidence and irritated state of mind are also some of the common complaints. Therefore, to avoid the postpartum stress and major difficulties, teenage pregnant moms can consult psychiatrists for help and advice.