Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SwapnaliYour feedback matters!
My niece had nmuemonia last year. She is of 5 years. Nw she cannot eat any snack items like biscuits, ice cream, chocolate, cake and chats. If she eats any of them she gets severe cough. I don't know wat is the problem. Please give me the solution.
Children are more susceptible to health problems as their immunity is still developing and along with frequent infections such as fever or stomach problems, skin problems are a common affliction. Most skin problems within children are a manifestation of the underlying conditions such as allergies or other sicknesses. Some of the common skin allergies and problems are mentioned here.
- Heat Rash or Prickly Heat: This is possibly the most common skin condition that children are generally afflicted by. These are small red bumps on the skin which look like minute pimples. It is caused due to the blockage of the pores and excessive sweating due to hot weather or wearing warm clothes.
- Ringworm: Unlike the name, this condition isn’t actually caused by the infection from a worm. Ringworm is named so due to the ring that forms on the skin which is scaly, inflamed, red in color and can be quite itchy. It is mostly caused by a fungus that lives on the skin. Ringworms are mostly passed through skin to skin contact.
- Chickenpox Rashes: Although there are vaccines that have minimized the occurrence of this disease, it still occurs from time to time. One of the tell-tale signs of this disease are the rashes that may develop all over the body which is accompanied by fever. Although, these may go away, some marks from the rashes may remain and it is important to take care so that they don’t leave any mark behind.
- Eczema: This is another very common skin condition that afflicts many kids and is usually attributed to allergies and asthma. The typical symptoms usually include a patch of raised skin which is inflamed and red. Children often complain about excessive itching and the affected skin tends to be quite dry. Although topical medications are useful, curing or treating the underlying symptoms shows remarkable improvement.
- Impetigo: This is a type of bacterial infection which primarily occurs around the mouth and nose but repeated scratching can spread it around other parts of the body as well. In this condition, red sores or blisters may develop on the skin and then develop a yellow crust which may even ooze fluid sometimes. It is mostly spread by the use of objects such as toys and clothing items or even towels. Antibiotics may be required to treat this condition.
- Allergic reactions or contact dermatitis: Another very common skin problems that affect kids, this occurs as a reaction to certain chemicals such as those found in certain foods, soaps, plants or insects which may either cause a lesion or an inflamed area on the skin. In some cases, it may form blister, although all of these will go away on their own. However, if it persists for more than a week or two or if it is extremely painful, you should immediately take your child to the doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
Upon reaching adolescence, children's bodies undergo several changes and so do their minds. It is then that their minds are most, as well as least impressionable. And the daunting question regarding the upbringing of an adolescent is how to treat their constantly changing behavior?
Here are some of the tantrums adolescents more commonly throw, and what should ideally be your approach to it:
- Your child seems to hate you: It is very common for a phase of emotional exclusionism to prevail between 16-17 years of age approximately. And the worst thing you could do is heighten that emotion by returning the hatred. Make sure you're firm against any extremely unacceptable behavior, but at the same time, show them that you're there for them no matter what.
- Electronic devices become the center of their attention: Whenever you want to have an earnest conversation with your children, their attention seems to be drawn solely to their phones and computers. They feel the need to be connected to their friends and all times. Ways to monitor that are by setting limit to the maximum hours spent on devices or making them pay their own bills, which will make them more responsible rather than splurging unnecessarily. Also, if your child is not entirely secluded from the family, it is probably best not to interfere all the time.
- Ignoring the curfew: Your kids often stay out later than the set limit. But it is quite possible that your curfew is unreasonable when compared to other parents' curfew. Find out what the average time limit is; it may prevent your child from bearing a grudge against you. In case they still fail to respect your curfew, make sure you spill out to them what the consequences can be, like being grounded for a week. However, in certain cases, your child may be spending time doing nothing constructive, but away from home. There may be something else going on, find out what that is.
- Being friends with the wrong people: Sometimes it might happen that you think some children do not have a good influence on your child, but you cannot say that directly because adolescents tend to get very defensive about their choice of friends. Unless the adolescent is doing something harmful with the friend, like using drugs, let him exercise his choice. Otherwise, don't hesitate from seeking professional help to counsel your child.
- Being over-dramatic: Every emotion is heightened in your child and you cannot tell them that what they are whining or being overjoyed about are trivial, because that's their prime focus then. Let them realize on their own how irrational they sound or else you may risk spoiling your relation with them.
I have a baby boy of 3 months old. I have given him the first dose of painless vaccine pentaxim. Is pentaxim safe and effective for my baby? Should I give him the second dose or should I give the painful regular vaccine?
My son on his 2nd birthday weighs 14.5 kg, while his height is 91 cm. Considering his 1st birthday weight of 9.5 kg, is his weight within normal limits?
my son, he's 4 years complete, past 6 months both neck side some of the small lumps is there, I ask the pediatrician he said its a primary complex, but that time my son suffered fever.
My boy is 2.6 years weight is 11.0 kg last 8 months fever coming blood test and xray normal t.b also tested no result hot water taken every month used 30 ml anti boitc cold and cough syrup used I am feeling sir, please tell me any suggestion give me sir.
Hello Sir, I'm 27 years old I have a baby she could be 1/2 years and she is suffering from loose motions and her health is always becoming bad. please give me good medicines and treatment.
My son 6month old baby he is born weight 4.300kg big baby this month weight are 10kg it is good or bad.
I am 21 years old. I have 6 months baby. I give breast milk. Minimum and maximum How many years I have to give breast milk? Please tell me.
I am suffering from fever and cough and my weight is very low so I feel very weak and my height is also very low.
My baby is 5 and half months old. He is having green hard stool since couple of days. But seems normal, his diet is normal n he is. playful. His diet include breastfeeding, lactogene formula 1 n some liquid form like apple juice banana mixed with lactogene and rice and tur dal water. Is this normal having green stool? Or what would be the reason for this?
Home remedies for babies up to 6 months
Cold & Cough remedies
1. Breast Milk
Breast milk is best home remedy for curing each and every disease in infants. Some children don’t latch properly when suffering with cold & cough. Don’t worry, keep offering breast milk. You don’t really have to give any other medicine for simple cold and cough. Breast milk will solve the problem.
2. Squirt Breast Milk in Nose
Lessor known use of breast milk. Some moms put few drops of breast milk in nose of child, and it helped in fast curing from cold.
3. Saline Water
If you don’t know, saline water is salted water. You can even make it at home but I recommend you to buy it from market because packed saline water has appropriate ratio of salt & water. Put few drops in the blocked nose of your child. Saline water will help unblocking the stuffy nose of your child. Keep cleaning the nose.
4. Nasal Suction with Pump
Suction pump is used for cleaning the nose of infants because cloth based hanky cotton based face towel can make rashes on soft nose of new born baby. Make sure to wash suction pump after every use.
5. Garlic & Ajwain Fumes
Roast 2–3 big cloves of garlic & few pinches of Ajwain on tawa for just one minute. You will be able to smell powerful fumes. Let the mixture cool down and keep near your child. The smell of mixture will heal the cold & cough of your child. You can also bind the mixture in pouch for better handling.
6. Light Steam
Inhaling steam is a natural way to provide relief for blocked nose, chest congestion & cold.
I will not recommend proper steam for infants using steamer. Rather keep your room little steaming by placing a steamer or boiling water near your bed.
You can also make your bathroom steamy by running hot water tap for some time. Sit in bathroom for 10–15 minutes by taking your infant in your lap.
7. Cover chest, head and feet
You know better how to protect your child from cold. All kids are not same, so it’s better to observe your child. My son gets cold from chest and we take utmost care in winters to cover him with cloths, especially his chest. He remain okay without hat or socks.
8. Sanitizing hands
Once anyone in house is caught up with cold, make sure everyone keep their hands sanitized. It’s not rocket science but people spread infection by not keeping hands clean. It’s simple home remedy to protect your family from cold & cough.
9. Keep babies head elevated
Babies feel difficulty in sleeping when suffering from blocked nose & cold. Elevate your baby’s head with help of pillow or cushion while she is sleeping to minimize the discomfort of blocked nose. Other home remedies can work better when child is at rest and sleeping.
10. Oil Massage
Light massage of mustard oil or coconut oil will help your baby to get relief from cough. Do massage on chest & back of your baby.
11. Coconut Oil with drumstick leaves
Warn up coconut oil and put some drumstick leaves (moringa). It is effective home remedies when applied on hair of child who is suffering from cold.
12. Herbal Coconut Oil Massage
Warm up coconut oil and add tulsi leaves. Tulsi will leave its healing properties in the coconut oil. You can also add a pinch of camphor. Mix well to dissolve camphor into coconut oil. Massage the oil on chest of your baby before sleep. You can also do hair massage with same oil. It will give relief from cold and cough.
13. Diffuse Essential Oils in Room
Essential oils (EOs) are extracts of plants. They can come from the roots, leaves, flowers, stems, or a mixture of these. Don’t get confused with many type of fragrance oils found in the market. Fragrance oils are synthetic, they do not have the healing properties or effects. The essential oils that are good to diffuse to help with congestion are: Cedarwood, Clove, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lemon, Melaleuca (ericifolia), Peppermint, Rosemary, Sandalwood and Thyme.
Dilute essential oils with water and put in diffuser for better results.
Home remedies for fever in babies (upto 6 months)
14. Breast Milk
Again, breast milk helps in fighting with fever (and it’s root cause). Don’t stop feeding your little one even in fever.
15. Skin to Skin Contact with mom
Most of people ignore the power of child’s connection with mom. Child remains inside mother’s womb for 9 months and always feel comfortable near mom. We have experimented it several times since the birth of our child. A direct skin to skin contact with mom gives tremendous relief to child. Give a close hug to your child without any cloths in between.
16. Lukewarm Bath
A warm bath helps bringing temperature to normal. Give your child a lukewarm bath in tub or by sponge.
17. Vinegar Sponge Bath
Add some vinegar to lukewarm water & give the bath to your little one. Soon your kid’s fever will be down.
18. Diluted Lavender Oil Massage
Like I mentioned in cold & cough remedies, oil massage helps in fever as well. Scientifically you have to give comfort to your child. Fever will go away when your child is in harmony. Dilute lavender oil in mustard or coconut oil. Give a light massage to your baby from head to toe.
19. Onion in Socks
Traditionally onions are used to cure fever in India. Cut the onion into 2–3 pieces and put under the feet, inside the socks of your child. Works best when the child is sleeping.
Home remedies for gas in stomach (upto 6 months)
20. Burp after every feed
You have to understand why babies have gas problems more often than elders. When infants drink milk, air stuck into their throat & stomach. The sound of burp happens when the air is released from stomach.
As they said, prevention is better than cure, always burp your baby after every feed and in-between the feed.
21. Exercising baby’s legs
If baby is feeling uncomfortable with gas problem, then help her in exercising by cycling legs for two minutes. Don’t do this exercise immediately after feeding but give a time gap of at least 30 minutes. Folding and pressing both legs towards stomach will also help releasing gas. We tried both methods and it worked most of the times.
22. Stomach massage
Light massage on stomach will help soothing your child. You can use any baby oil but I prefer mustard or coconut oil. Do tummy massage for five to seven minutes with light hand.
23. Hing (Asafoetida)
Hing is very effective Indian home remedy for gas related issues in children. Take a spoon of warm water and put a pinch of hing into it. We can not give hing to infants directly by mouth so apply the hing water on your child’s abdomen or around baby’s navel in anti-clockwise direction.
24. Warm Towel
Boil some water in the pan. Soak a clean hand towel into hot water and squeeze out excess water. Check the temperature and make sure towel is not too hot for the child. Place the warm towel on the tummy of your child and it will start giving relief to your kiddo from gas problem.
Home Remedies to cure vomit & loose motion in infants (upto 6 months)
25. Breast Feeding
Whatever the issues are, breastmilk is proven medicine for infants. Keep your child hydrated by breastmilk. Don’t give any other type of external milk, not even cow’s milk.
You should also look for reasons of vomit or loose motion. It could be because of some infection, teething, or just because of climate change. Try to recall what child has eaten in past 24 hours?
26. Change to soy based milk powder
If your child is taking formula powder then shift to soy based formula. Your child will have lesser rashes with soy based formula and it will help in fast recovery from loose motion.
27. Gripe Water
Gripe water is effective remedy for diarrhea in babies. Gripe water gives relief to stomach and help curing loose motions.
28. Curd and Buttermilk
It’s not recommended to children below 4 months but if your child is able to sit and started consuming semi-solids then give some curd and buttermilk. Curd has natural probiotic that help curing stomach related issues.
Home Remedies for babies more than 7 months
Cure cold & cough with home based remedies
Prevention is always better than cure. Try these super effective immunity boosting foods to stop the cold and cough before happening at the first place.
Steam is the first thing you should try in case of cold & cough. Inhaling steam helps to clear baby’s blocked nose and open blocked airways. It helps your baby to sleep better and speed up recovery from cold , cough & congestion. You can use room humidifier or steamer to keep room air moist. Avoid to keep your baby close to hot & steamy water.
30. Garlic Ajwain Potli
Dry roast 2–3 garlic cloves & one tablespoon of ajwain on dry tawa or pan. Once its roasted, switch off the flame. Make a potli out of it. You can place potli around baby’s bedding or in his cradle during sleep time. The garlicky ajwain smoke helps to get relief from blocked nose & chest congestion.
31. Dry roasted turmeric rub
Turmeric is one of popular home remedies for cold & cough. The antibacterial properties of turmeric makes it an effective solution to treat cough and cold naturally. Take a dried turmeric root, burn it and make a turmeric powder from it. Apply the turmeric paste(turmeric powder & few drops of water) on the baby’s nose to get relief from blocked nose.
32. Turmeric paste
Make a turmeric paste by mixing half teaspoon of turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of water. Heat it up on flame & apply the warm turmeric paste on baby’s chest, neck, feet. As turmeric has antibacterial properties, it helps to get relief from phlegm, congestion & cough.
33. Garlic & Mustard Oil Massage
Mustard oil has medical & antibacterial properties. Its a safe & effective way to cure cough & congestion in children. Put one or two garlic cloves in mustard oil and heat the oil. Once the oil is lukewarm, rub it on baby’s chest & feet. Warmth & smell of mustard oil helps to get quick relief from nasal congestion and cough & cold.
You can also heat the mustard oil with a teaspoon of rock salt into it. Once the oil is lukewarm, rub it on baby’s chest, back & feet.
34. Nilgiri Oil
Nilgiri oil, also known as eucalyptus oil, a good remedy for a cough and cold. Eucalyptus oil helps increase circulation in the body, helps expel phlegm and decongests the blocked airways. Nilgiri oil helps to keep nose moist. Just sprinkle few drops of nilgiri oil on baby’s clothes or on some handkerchief n keep it around baby.
35. Rub Essential Oil
Add one or more essential oils to a carrier oil and run some on your baby’s feet or chest. A few that should be safe to try are eucalyptus, lemon, and sandalwood (peppermint is not recommended).
36. Use Vaporub
Rub Vicks Vaporub to bottom of your baby’s feet and chest at night, cover her feet with cotton socks. Your baby will get instant relief from cough. VapoRubs actually don’t remove congestion, it makes baby feel better with its cooling action.
37. Tulsi Water
Tulsi juice helps to get relieve from cough, cold and fever. Boil few leaves of tulsi into water & give this water to your baby or you can add 2–3 spoons of tulsi water into baby’s milk.
38. Boil tulsi and badi Elachi
Boil 4–5 tulsi leaves and one badi elachi (black cardamom) in one cup of water. Once boiled, strained and let it cool down. Feed two teaspoons of this water to your baby.
If you are giving top-up milk / formula to your baby then you can add 2–3 teaspoons of it to milk.
39. Panikoorka Juice
Panikoorka is an Ayurvedic herb, commonly used in south indian states to cure cough, cold, sore throat, nasal & chest congestion in children.
Boil the leaves of panikoorka for 4–5 minutes in 1 cup of water. Once cool down, feed 2 tablespoon of water to children. Its a very effective remedy to treat excess phlegm.
40. Warm water with ajwain
Water boiled with ajwain seeds is a good remedy for cough. Give this water on regular interval to your baby to keep him hydrated.
My age is 16 I am still slim My friends is tall and fat I want to became a good healthy person what I have to take?
Many women develop uterine fibroids by the time they hit the age of 50 years and above. These are non-cancerous growths that may occur in the uterus. Most women go through severe bleeding and pain as well as discomfort as a result of these fibroids. Age, family history of the same condition, obesity or being overweight, eating habits and even ethnicity play a large role in deciding the risk of each individual patient. These fibroids can grow in the submucosal, intramural and subserosal areas.
Following are the common side effects of uterine fibroids:
- Frequent urination: Due to the pressure of the fibroids on the uterus, the patient may experience a constant feeling of fullness in the lower pelvic area of the body, which may lead to frequent filling of the bladder. This gives rise to frequent trips to the washroom for urination.
- Heavy Bleeding: Severe bleeding is one of the most common causes of the presence of these kinds of fibroids. The patient may experience a lot of bleeding during menstrual periods, as well as pain and cramps the rest of the time. The periods will also be very painful when there are fibroids in the uterus or the uterine lining.
- Painful Intercourse: It is a well-known fact that any kind of infection or growth as well as sores and other such ailments can lead to vaginal dryness as well as pain during sexual intercourse. This is true for uterine fibroids as well, which can lead to severe pain during sexual activity. These fibroids can also give rise to pain in the lumbar or lower back region.
- Abdomen Swelling: The abdomen may go through significant swelling in such a condition and the patient may even look like she is pregnant. The growth can push the shape of the abdomen outwards and create a full feeling.
- Pregnancy Complications: The presence of uterine fibroids can give rise to several complications during pregnancy and even after child birth. One of the most common problems in this case is bleeding, followed by more severe outcomes like miscarriage. The women suffering from uterine fibroids are at greater risk of undergoing a caesarean section for the delivery of the baby. The baby may also be born breech and a premature delivery may take place.
- Infertility: This is also a rare side effect of the uterine fibroids and is generally seen only in very severe cases.
- Cancer: Only one in every 1000 cases might transform into malignant tumours. These uterine fibroids are generally known to be non-malignant.
Any symptoms must be reported to a gynaecologist at the earliest to avoid any serious complications.