Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sumedha Kulkarni
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sumedha KulkarniYour feedback matters!
Hi, doctor I am 41 years old. I have a menopause problem. I also have high blood pressure. Pls suggest me some thing to get regular period.
I am 23 years girl. I was in relationship last 5 yrs. So I was intimate so many times with my boy friend. So I am not virgin. Now I am going to marry some other guy. Now m very afraid .for future life. Agar use pta chl gya that m not Virgin. please suggest me what I do .i have to operate hymen?
In a healthy individual, there are millions of microorganisms in different parts of the body which are essential for normal functioning of that particular organ. Be it the mouth or the gut or the reproductive tract, there are normally organisms. These form part of the normal flora of that body part. It is when there is an imbalance between the good and bad bacteria, where the bad ones take over, then there is a problem. This results in an infection, which manifests with symptoms and requires treatment.
Vaginal yeast infection is one of the most common such conditions and almost 75% of the women would have had it at least once in their lifetime. It is most commonly caused by the yeast Candida albicans, which is normally present in the vagina. Though it can be sexually transmitted, it is not a usual STD.
Causes: The vagina also contains the bacteria Lactobacillus, which produces acid and is essential for maintaining an acidic environment. This acidic environment ensures there is no overgrowth of the yeast. For various reasons, this balance is lost and there is an overgrowth of yeast leading to vaginal yeast infections. Some of the common causes are listed below.
- Antibiotic usage, which kills the Lactobacillus count and increases vaginal pH
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Weakened immunity due to various reasons
- Increased levels of oestrogen due to use of birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
Symptoms: The symptoms would depend on the severity of the infection.
- Vaginal itching, burning, and irritation
- Vulvar swelling, irritation, and redness
- Burning sensation with urination or intercourse
- Vaginal rash
- Vaginal soreness and pain
- Vaginal discharge that can be thick or thin, white or clear, odor-free or foul-smelling
In cases of recurrent vaginal yeast infections, there could be more than 4 infections per year along with extensive burning and itching and swelling that could even lead to cracks and fissures.
Diagnosis: Though the symptoms can be helpful in diagnosis, sometimes a pelvic exam and swab of the vaginal discharge might be required to confirm the diagnosis. This is especially required in cases of repeated infections.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Mechanism of laparoscopy:
One or more such holes on the abdominal wall serve as passageways for a specialised instrument called a laparoscope. A long, thin tube headed by a high-resolution camera and a high-intensity guiding light is inserted through the incision. As the instrument moves along, the camera transmits images to a video monitor enabling your surgeon to see inside without opening up your body for surgery.This process is used to diagnose unidentified abdominal or pelvic pain.
What conditions laparoscopy deals with
Conditions like ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory disorders are generally treated using laparoscopic surgery. Moreover, laparoscopy is also used to remove the gallbladder, appendix, patches of endometriosis or detect adhesions, fibroids and cysts. Also a biopsy of the organs inside the abdomen can be done through laparoscopy.
Restrictions you need to follow during the first couple of weeks:
For the first couple of weeks after the surgery, your doctor might ask you to abstain from driving, tub bathing, swimming and having sexual intercourse. Make sure that you follow these rules and get adequate amount of sleep to ensure speedy recovery.
Recovery time for a laparoscopic surgery is only a few days, and to get through this period easily seek the help of a friend or family member to manage your medications and lift your spirits. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
After my wedding my wife get periods. After 5 days the bleeding stops. We tried to sex but its not possible to do more. I don't my sperm come out. Even now I do not think so. After that day we almost use condoms. Some white discharge seen at my wife's body. I think its her. Will she get pregnant in few days? My first sex was on 29th april. She fears about pregnancy symptoms like vomiting and stomach pain. Today 12th march. Is it pregnancy or some other problem?
Gestational diabetes is diabetes that arises during the pregnancy and disappears after giving birth. It is usually diagnosed in the second stage by screening or blood test. It mostly occurs in the women who previously have some traits of diabetes. Gestational diabetes affects your pregnancy and your newborn baby health, but risk can be reduced if detected before and manage well.
Gestational diabetes is caused due to an excessive amount of blood sugar level, as at the time of pregnancy placenta excrete the glucose building hormones. The pancreas excretes enough insulin to manage if not this lead to the excessive amount of blood sugar. This can be prevented by adopting healthy habits before pregnancy. The mentioned below are the symptoms, causes and prevention of Gestational diabetes.
In most of the cases, Gestational diabetes does not show any sign and symptoms, but it can be diagnosed through the blood test or screening. Some women may develop symptoms if they are suffering from hyperglycemia. The common symptoms are:
These are some symptoms shown by the diabetic patient if you are experiencing any of them then consult your doctor. Regular checkup, test and screening should be preferred to avoid this serious problem. The problem can be well managed if detected at the time.
Who is at risk?
Any women can suffer from Gestational diabetes, but you are a great risk if:
- Your body mass index is above 30, use a body mass calculator to workout and reduce the risk of Gestational diabetes.
- Your previous baby is weighted more than 4kg or above at the time of birth, then you are more prone to Gestational diabetes.
- If One of your parents has diabetes.
- You have Gestational diabetes in previous pregnancy.
During pregnancy, the placenta excretes the hormones that lead to building up of glucose in the body. The pancreas makes enough insulin to manage them if not, then sugar level rise and cause Gestational diabetes. Usually, the hormones build up during the pregnancy work against insulin and raise the blood sugar level in the body.
There is no guarantee t prevent Gestational diabetes, but by adopting some healthy habits, reduce the risk of future pregnancy. The mentioned below are a habit that helps to prevent or reduce the risk of Gestational diabetes.
- Eat healthy food, focus on food rich in nutrients and fibre that will help you're to achieve your goal
- Always go for 30 min moderate exercise before and during pregnancy, this will protect you from the risk of Gestational diabetes.
- If you are planning for pregnancy go for excessive weight loss this will help to attain the healthiest pregnancy ahead.
Gestational diabetes is not a major issue, it can be managed well if diagnosed on time. One can prevent this disease by just adopting healthy habits of balanced diet and exercise. Some women may require medical care so regular checkup and screening is important during pregnancy.
I am two months pregnancy . I wants to know that what foods should be taken in this stage of pregnancy. For good and normal baby.
For any couple, a honeymoon is a great time to bond, have some of their first memories together and to take their marriage to the next level by consummating it. This is the time many couples see and feel each other not just emotionally, but physically as well that is in a sexual manner. While it can be exhilarating, a lack of knowledge can actually be nerve wracking and the first time expectation and anxiety may ruin your experience. You can even go for a honeymoon package. Here are a few tips to help you handle your honeymoon smoothly.
Sex tip for first timers
As is the case with many couples, the honeymoon may be the first night time two people consummate or have sex with each other or has sex altogether for the first time. Some of the important things you need to remember before having sex for the first time is mentioned below
- Don’t have high expectations: Remember, it may be the first time when you and your partner are getting intimate and thus, some inhibitions are bound to come up. Think of this first time as a foray into something new rather than expecting to have great sex from the get go. Also, don’t pressure each other into being able to do certain things as it will make things awkward. Think of it as a first time experience and let the things come with the flow as they should.
- Go slow and experience the whole process rather than quickly getting into penetration: Always remember, sex is much more than just penile-vaginal intercourse and is the whole act of caressing, kissing, foreplay, build up, dirty talk and even the cuddling together afterwards. Go slowly and feel each other and let the tension build. Many couples make the mistake of trying to get straight into sex in excitement and thus miss out on a lot of slow sensual fun.
- Foreplay is the king: Women, more than men tend to get excited slower and thus foreplay is really important to them. As a man you need to be able to arouse your partner to a point where she is lubricated enough for insertion. First timers make this mistake a little too often. This is especially true during the honeymoon if the woman is experiencing sex for the first time. Thus the male partner should concentrate on foreplay to arouse the woman which will help in having a better experience during sex. Some of the same things mentioned here are applicable for men as well.
- Vaginal Insertion: Both the partners should ensure that the woman is lubricated enough for insertion. If she isn’t then either more foreplay is required or you may need to use lubricants. Once penetration has taken place, go slowly with the thrusts and if anyone feels uncomfortable when it becomes harder and faster, stop and wait for a moment to re-adjust. Coming to orgasm isn’t the only end goal and thus pay attention to the experience as well.
Things to help you out
Although you may be on your honeymoon and in a monogamous relationship with your significant other, you still need to take some precautions for the best interest of both the partners. Some of these are mentioned below
- Use a condom to stop unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections. Also condoms help in delaying orgasm thus extending pleasure for both men and women.
- Lubes are your best friend as they help the women become wetter and also help in penetration as well as thrusting. However use water based lubricants as they have the lowest risk of allergic reactions.
- You can use natural aphrodisiacs such as avocados, chocolates, honey and oysters which can boost your libido. Stay away from alcohol and smoking as it impairs sexual performance and ability.
- Anxiety about body or performance: For all men and women, especially first timers, sex can cause performance anxiety as well as shyness and aversion. This is due to self-consciousness arising out of body image issues. You should remember that the person opposite to you is there for the long run and thus wont judge you for what you are. Learn to love your body without being too judgemental about it. Also don’t judge your partner for their flaws as it will only hurt them and cause further aversion.
- Remember, this is real life not porn: Men, more than women tend to have their first glimpse and understanding about sex by watching pornography. This desensitizes them and makes them think that real sex should be performed in that manner. Porn is made for visual pleasure only. It doesn’t reflect how people can have great sex in real life within a monogamous relationship. Great sex between you and your partner will be unique and hence don’t try to copy or emulate pornography as it will only end in disappointment.
- Before honeymoon: Talk to your partner before honeymoon and raise the topic about sex. It can be a great tool for arousal, developing attraction as well as for breaking down inhibitions and barriers. Know what both of you may be comfortable with, willing to try certain fantasies of the other partners and what you would absolutely not be into. Setting these boundaries will help you get a realistic perspective of the sexual chemistry between you and your partner.
Following the tips mentioned above will help you have great and mutually pleasurable, satisfying sex. Preparation and understanding beforehand will help you add a spark to your honeymoon which may then continue to light the fires of passion for a long time in your marital life.