Lybrate.com has top trusted Anesthesiologists from across India. You will find Anesthesiologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Anesthesiologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sumant Mhavan
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Dr. Sumant MhavanYour feedback matters!
When to Seek Surgical Care for Back Pain of Disc origin?
Avoiding unnecessary spinal surgery is the intent of this course, but unfortunately not all spine surgery is avoidable, and not every reader will avoid surgery. Some disc injuries require surgery or at least a consultation with a spine surgeon. Before reading the rest of this book you are urged to carefully review the next pages to determine if you need a surgical consultation. There are varying degrees of urgency in seeking a surgical consultation. On one end of the spectrum is a medical emergency which requires immediate surgical intervention to avoid or minimize a permanent impairment. On the other end of the continuum is the elective surgical consultation. An elective surgical consultation occurs when a patient elects to be seen for a surgical consultation due to a chronic progressive condition that, while not emergent, constitutes a sustained and un resolved spinal condition which may be addressed with surgery .Medical Emergencies Certain spinal symptoms require an immediate surgical consultation: Loss of bowel or bladder control, urinary retention, neurological sexual dysfunction, muscle weakness or flaccidity,neurological deficit, numbness of the genitalia, or numbness in the distribution of a saddle.Less urgent symptoms that may need a surgical consultation include severe and disabling back pain or shooting pain into the legs that is refractory (does not respond) to other treatment sand lasts more than four to eight weeks.
These conditions need immediate medical attention
Spinal Fractures Trauma (falling, car accident…)
- Osteoporosis: Even minor trauma can cause fractures in people who have osteoporosis. Risk for osteoporosis increases with age or with the use of steroids or transplant immune-suppressing drugs.
- Infection or Tumor
- Pain that is worse at night
- The use of corticosteroids or HIV or immune-suppressive drugs (drugs that reduce symptoms that help fight disease)
- Unexplained weight loss
- Night sweats, chills, fever
- History of cancer
- Recent infectionSevere
- Neurological Conditions
- Bladder or bowel dysfunction
- Numbness of the anus or genitals
- Weakness of the legs
- Numbness in the distribution of [both] your inner thighs
Aside from disc herniations, there are several other conditions and symptoms that require immediate medical attention. Fractures, infections, cancer, tumors, and progressive neurological disease can all mimic the signs of a herniated lumbar disc.
Dear Doctor, For the last 10 days almost daily I am suffering from low back pain particularly in the early morning hours around 3 am onwards, resulting in nagging discomfort and depriving me of the precious sleep. Can you please suggest the remedy please? Thanks.
My sister, 41, suffers from severe joints deformities as a result of rheumatoid arthritis. Does an alternative treatment to recovery exists in any system of medicine. The allopathic system is all about debilitating drugs and joints replacement surgeries which may give relief for a few years.
Orthopedic disorders include all the health issues and ailments that are related to the muscles, joints and ligaments. Orthopedic disorders are so widespread and so large in number that it is very difficult to list all of them down. However, among them the four most common orthopedic disorders are:
- Arthritis: It is a chronic and a long lasting orthopedic disorder in which you witness the swelling or inflammation of one or more joints in the body. This condition is very painful in nature and it tends to deteriorate gradually. This condition usually affects elderly people and it also worsens with age which ultimately causes stiffness of the joints and limits your routine body movements.
- Osteoarthritis: This is a degenerative joint disorder which leads to immense pain and discomfort in the joints of the body. This is one of the most serious forms of orthopedic disease that has been noticed. This disease involves degradation and decline in the overall quality of the bones and joints in the affected areas.
- Lower back pain: This condition refers to periods of pain and discomfort in the lower part of your spinal area. This condition is very common nowadays and as a result of this pain, your back usually becomes tender, swollen and stiff. This pain also stops you from doing your overall routine activities.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an orthopedic disorder in which there is severe swelling in a particular joint, accompanied by small lumps on the affected area that further degrade the external appearance of the skin. In case of adults, this disorder lasts for a lifetime and worsens with time, if left untreated. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist and ask a free question.