Lybrate.com has top trusted General Physicians from across India. You will find General Physicians with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sudha Mashalkar
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sudha MashalkarYour feedback matters!
A urinary tract infection can be painful and annoying. Most urinary tract infections affect the bladder and urethra, but it can also affect the kidneys and ureter. Women have a higher risk of suffering from this infection as compared to men. This is because women have a shorter urethra than men and hence the bacteria needs to travel a shorter distance to reach the bladder. Urinary tract infections can usually be treated easily with a course of antibiotics as long as they are detected in time. If not detected in time, it can affect the kidneys which make it a more serious problem. Hence, it becomes important to be able to recognise the signs of this infection.
Some of the symptoms to watch out for are:
- A persistent urge to urinate but low volume of urine produced
- A burning sensation while urinating
- Cloudy urine
- Blood in the urine which makes the urine appear red, pink or blackish
- Strong smell of the urine
- Pelvic pain
A urinary tract infection that affects the urethra is also known as urethritis. A burning sensation when urinating and discharge along with urine are the most prominent symptoms of this type of infection. When this infection affects the bladder it comes to be known as cystitis. Cystitis patients typically suffer from frequent and painful urination along with discomfort in the lower abdomen and pressure in the pelvic area. They may also notice blood in the urine.
Acute pyelonephritis refers to a urinary infection that affects the kidneys. In such cases, along with the typical symptoms, the patient may also experience high fever, nausea, shivering and pain in the upper back and sides of the abdomen.
This infection can affect a person at any age. Most women suffer from at least one bout of urinary tract infections in their lifetime. Some of the factors that increase the risk of suffering from this infection are:
Certain types of birth control such as diaphragms and spermicidal agents
- New sexual partners
- Urinary tract abnormalities
- Kidney stones or other blockages in the urinary tract
- Weakened immune system
- Use of catheters
- Recent urinary procedures that involve the use of medical instruments
Urinary tract infection can be easily prevented by living a healthy lifestyle. Drink plenty of fluids to flush bacteria and other toxins from your body. Bacteria multiplies in the bladder if urine stays for too long. Hence, urinate frequently and do not try to control your bladder. Avoid synthetic underwear and wear cotton underwear with loose fitting clothes that keep the area around the urethra dry.
How to prevent recurrent urinary tract infections
A urinary tract infection or UTI can be quite painful and uncomfortable. This infection can be described as an infection that affects the ureter, urethra, bladder or kidneys. Women have a shorter urethra than men which makes this more vulnerable to this kind of infection. It is said that most women suffer from at least one bout of this infection in a lifetime. Urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria and may often recur after treatment. However, in most cases, this can easily be prevented. Here are a few tips to help prevent recurrent urinary tract infections.
- Drink plenty of fluids: Ideally, we should drink 8-10 glasses of water a day at regular intervals. This keeps the body hydrated and flushes toxins and bacteria from the body. Water also prevents the formation of kidney stones that could increase your risk of suffering from a urinary tract infection.
- Urinate frequently: If you drink the required amount of water, you will typically need to urinate frequently. Do not try to control your bladder. Holding your urine in your bladder allows bacteria to multiply inside the bladder. This is an easy way for a UTI to begin.
- Follow healthy bathroom habits: Cleanliness is the first step to preventing any infection. When using public restrooms, flush the toilet before and after urinating. In the case of women, it becomes important to ensure that the seat of the toilet is clean as well. After urinating wipe the residual urine with toilet paper in a motion that goes from front to back. Since the urethra is situated very close to the rectum, this step is very important. For uncircumcised men, it is important to wash the foreskin after urination.
- Wear loose clothes: Tight fitting clothes trap moisture and aid in the multiplication of bacteria. Hence, always wear loose fitting clothes that keep the area around the urethra dry. Also, avoid synthetic underwear and only wear cotton underwear.
- Urinate after intercourse: The relative closeness of the vagina to the urethra makes it easy for bacteria to enter the urethra during intercourse. Hence, make it a habit of washing your pubic region after urinating. This helps flush out any possible bacteria that may have entered your body.
- Choose the correct method of birth control: Certain types of birth control such as diaphragms and spermicidal agents can promote a urinary tract infection. Hence, it is best to avoid these types of birth control and pick alternatives. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Dear sir, I am suffering from urogenic urin bloder .by birth problem and it cases every year urin infection and kidneys infection and every year I was treated in hsptl 20,30 days so pls tell me how qure this problem.
Hello sir, i'm 2I years old nd I hve a problem of premature ejaculation, can you tell me it's reasons nd way to get rid of this?
Sir am from kanakapura. My name is srinivas I want to ask you about sex related. Sir my penny is not standing stiff in any mood of sex. If I watch xxx videos I will get mood but my penny will not get stiff (strong stand). I don't no what was the problem. And what is the solution. Please give me a better solution because it's my future not only mine it's future of every man .my age is still 21.
Hello doc. As I am having HTN hypertension , increased cholesterol and creatinine levels, can I add soya flour, chane ka atta with my wheat floor for making chapatis? Or not, then what would you suggest?
Throat infection cause of cold, it became red n paining, also got headache and body ache. Suggest me medicine. Please respond quickly.
It is important that we should discuss our problems related to performance in bed with our partner and should see a professional for treatment as hiding such things will certainly won't solve our problems. Erectile dysfunction refers to a condition where the male patient cannot achieve and retain a normal erection for satisfactory sexual activity. This is also known as impotence. Stress, anxiety, and other ailments like diabetes, high cholesterol, cardiovascular diseases and others, may be the cause of erectile dysfunction. Usually, the primary form of medical intervention includes therapy for the patient to get over the stress and anxiety more than anything else. Ayurveda also prescribes a number of remedies for getting over Erectile Dysfunction. These are as follows:
- Carrots, Egg and Honey: One can take half a bowl of chopped carrots and add half a boiled egg along with two tablespoons of honey. This should be mixed well and taken so that the condition abates. As per Ayurveda, one must have this concoction for one month, on a daily basis.
- Drumstick Flowers: Drumsticks are known to be rich in anti-oxidants and can be used in tonic form to overcome this form of sexual disability. One can boil drumstick flowers in a glass of milk. This milk can be taken once the tonic becomes lukewarm. This helps in flushing out the toxins that may be blocking the flow of energy in the affected region.
- Ginger and Honey: This is another natural mixture that can be taken at least three times a day, for a few months as ginger is a known aphrodisiac. Crush ginger to a paste. Add two teaspoons of honey and mix it well before having it. This can also be used to drive away cold and cough.
- Abstinence: As per Ayurveda, there are a number of ingredients that one should and should not eat. With a tweak in our lifestyle and daily habits, Ayurveda seeks to reach the root cause of the problem rather than merely offering a cure. Therefore, it manages to prevent any recurrences. For erectile dysfunction, one must abstain from excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, and drug abuse. One must stick to a healthy diet which has a balance of all the food groups. This can also help in better penile tissue growth. Also, better blood circulation in the area will be encouraged as the toxins will be routinely flushed out with the help of various kinds of healthy food.
- Massages: Oil massages are a major part of any Ayurvedic therapy and Sanda Oil massage is said to be especially beneficial for people who are suffering from this condition as it helps in encouraging better blood flow with which the patient and achieve and hold an erection for a longer time. Sanda oil is not available in its pure form and simple branding of this name is not useful. Sanda is a wild reptile which was boiled in ancient times and fats taken out to make Sanda oil. This is not possible now a days. Instead various 'Tilas' (penis massage oils) prepared by valuable herbs and vegetable oils such as Seasame oil should be used. Tila using Mall (purified arsenic) and egg are also effective. Preparation and use should be as per instructions in classic Ayurveda. Tila is selected as per history, present condition and duration of pt. specific problem, by Ayurveda doctor.
Getting yourself treated for erectile dysfunction is a matter of bringing back confidence in one's sexual life and relationships.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!