Lybrate.com has top trusted Ayurvedas from across India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shantanu Ramakant Joshi
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. Shantanu Ramakant JoshiYour feedback matters!
The Ash Gourd belongs to the family of Cucurbitaceae and Benincasa hispida is its binomial name. It is recognized for its medicinal properties in Ayurveda System of Medicine. It is also commonly known as Wax Gourd, Winter Melon, Green Pumpkin. It is not just the fruit, which is useful, but its seeds and seed oil is equally useful. Ash gourd is easily available throughout India.
Understanding the Key benefits of Ash Gourd
- It helps in treating Acid reflux syndrome with the help from its active principles such as Terpenes, Flavanoid C, glycosides and sterols, since they have antioxidant effects which help in inhibiting gastric mucosal damage.
- It helps in treating Purpura
- Due to its alkaline property it is used as diuretic or bladder purifier
- It also acts as an Aphrodisiac i.e. a substance, which increases sexual potency and as an appetizer
- It is an important ingredient in various Ayurvedic medicines for treating bleeding disorders and helps in improving body weight and is ideal for diabetic patients
- It helps in combating general debility and treats mental disorders by stabilizing nerve cells.
- It often has bronchodilator effect on patients, through an antihistamine activity (H1 receptor-antagonism)
- It also acts as an Antidiarrheal agent and provides relief from constipation
- The pulp of Ash Gourd is a rich source of vitamin B and C and is also an excellent remedy for tapeworms.
- With the help of Ash Gourd one can also get relief from symptoms of morphine withdrawal
- In case of a burn, topical application of Ash Gourd pulp is also highly beneficial.
Classic Ayurvedic medicines which are prepared with Ash Gourd
- Kushmand Avleha
- Kushmand Khanda
- Kushmand Rasayan
How it is used, across India?
- In Northern India it is used to prepare a candy called “Petha”
- In South Indian cuisines, it is traditionally used to make a variety of curries.
- Soup or vegetable dish also can be possible
- In Southeast Asia winter melon tea or Winter melon punch is famous
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Of the few things which make summers in the sub-continent somewhat bearable, the watermelon is certainly a chart-topper. Nothing can refresh our tired and dehydrated bodies more than juicy watermelon cubes after a day at the office. The very sight of the large green fruit quenches our thirst somehow.
For a fruit this delicious, the benefits may seem add-ons but take a look at the following and you are sure to jump into the watermelon fan club, in case you are not a member yet:
1. Hydrates the body
The water content in the fruit is more than 90%. Having as little as a cup full of watermelon cubes replenishes fluid level in the body. Electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron are present in abundance that aids the rehydration process.
2. Rejuvenates eye and skin health
Watermelon has a very high vitamin a content. This is a powerful anti-oxidant that fights free radicals in the body and is great for vision and skin. Vitamin a goes a long way in boosting the body's immunity as well.
3. Promotes health of vital organs
Watermelon is a source of potassium. This essential mineral controls blood pressure and the heart rate thereby ensuring proper functioning of the heart. Also, the kidney is another organ that is benefited owing to the water and mineral content of the fruit.
4. Relieves muscle pains
Arginine is an amino acid that improves blood circulation in the body and relaxes the tissue. Watermelon contains the amino acid citrulline that is synthesized into arginine automatically in the body. Thus, it is a food of choice for athletes.
5. Reduces tanning
Watermelon is the richest natural source of lycopene, an antioxidant that combats UV-ray induced free radicals which cause sunburns. Owing to this, only two cups of watermelon can help you get brighter and glowing skin.
6. Promotes sexual health
Studies have shown the fruit to beef up libido in humans. The improved circulation owing to essential minerals present in the fruit will certainly improve performance in the bed.
7. Improves sleep
A few slices of the fruit before bed-time induces the body to secrete serotonin that helps us get deep sleep that is necessary after all the action the fruit promises to help us get.
8. Combats cancer
The lycopene present in watermelon has been shown by some studies to combat the spread of cancer.
9. Low in calories
For its size and roundness, the fruit's calorie and fat content are incredibly low. Thus, using this tasty treat to satiate your hunger is a healthy lifestyle thing. The cholesterol levels also do not go up at all from having watermelon.
It is recommended to have 2 cups of watermelon daily or as frequently as you can get your hands on it. Going up to anywhere between three to four cups should be absolutely fine. So, go ahead and indulge in the goodness of this delicious and hydrating fruit this summer. Stay healthy, stay happy!