Lybrate.com has top trusted Orthopedists from across India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shama Shaik
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Shama ShaikYour feedback matters!
I have some pain in both knees while coming down through the staircase. I also get pain whenever I try to do some yoga asanas. Please help.
I am 23 years old female and suffering from backache. My job involves lot of sitting on the chair. I have tried many pain relieving ointments, but they are of no help. Please suggest.
I am 57 year male 6 feet, 80 kg. My muscles around stomach have become stiff and can feel inflammation on the back. I have trouble sitting for long time and have pain around the waist. Kindly suggest.
Got stitches on knee. All x-ray s are done there is no break or creak in the bone. After removal of stitches still the swelling is not going off. What should I apply to decrease the swelling. At present I am applying should Sld I continue and apply this.
Sir I i have pain on my knee joint and waist .and I have uric acid problem. Is hadjod tablet by himalaya is save from side effect? Also I have pressure of 150/90. And cholesterol.
An ankle sprain can make life miserable. A sudden twist or stretching (due to incorrect walking, incorrect posture, wearing high heels, walking on an uneven and rough surface, exercise, games) can result in ligament(s) tear (partial or complete tear), affecting the ankle. An ankle sprain is often confused with a twisted ankle. However, the two are different as chalk and cheese. A sprained ankle can be extremely painful, taking few weeks to months to heal completely (depending on the severity).
An ankle sprain is independent of age and sex, affecting anyone and everyone under the sun. The symptoms characteristic of an ankle sprain includes:
- The affected region of the ankle may swell up immediately.
- Difficulty in walking. In severe forms, a person may find it difficult to place a step.
- The area appears bruised and tender.
- Excruciating pain and discomfort (severe case).
- Stiffness and, in some cases, discoloration of the skin around the tear.
At no point should the sprain be taken lightly. Seek medical assistance at the earliest. Negligence on your part can aggravate the situation. In extreme cases, an ankle sprain can add to your agony and discomfort, affecting the joints, bones, blood vessels, tendons, and cartilage.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
Accurate diagnosis can make the treatment effective, thus accelerating the recovery process. In case of an ankle sprain;
- Physical examination of the affected area and a thorough case study is an important diagnostic step followed by many doctors.
- X-ray of the affected ankle region can help in a better and more accurate diagnosis.
The course of treatment depends on the extent of the damage. In case of a minor sprain, doctors mostly recommend
- Keeping the affected ankle area bandaged (ACE bandage) and well protected. A crutch or a brace is a blessing for people who face difficulty in walking.
- Time and again, apply a cold compress on the sprained ankle. A cold compress can help reduce the swelling effectively.
- In case of extreme pain and swelling, your doctor may recommend an acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen
- Rest as much as possible. While sleeping, use cushions or pillows to keep the leg elevated.
Precaution and Care:
A little alertness and agility on your part can help to deal with an ankle sprain better.
- In the case of a severe sprain, try and avoid self-medication as much as possible. It can do you more harm than good.
- Exert minimum or no pressure on the affected ankle area.
- Indulge in some strengthening exercise as recommended by your physician. It is advisable that you warm up before any exercise.
- Avoid heavy, strenuous work as much as possible.
- Wearing correct footwear is important. Women who have had an ankle sprain should avoid wearing heel shoes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.
I have nerves weakness due to this my hands shakes and when cold my finger will get struck and pain.
65 aged male. Numbness in hands and operation under neck spine. No improvement. After operation suffering from Gas trouble.
I am having backpain for about 2 years. My age is 21 and I walk a lot. The pain is getting worse day by day. I consult with the local doctor but they couldn't help me. I jusy want to know is there any natural way to get rid of it (like yoga, may be)?
A sprain refers to a break or a tear in any of the ligaments of your body. A ligament is a band consisting of tissues that connect the bones at any given joint in our body.
A strain on the other hand refers to a tear or a break in the entire muscle itself or a tendon (the band of tissues that connect the muscle to the bones).
Occurrence: Sprains usually take place due to unforeseen incidents like falls, accidents, and such other things that forces the body part to go out of its normal position. The most common types of sprains that people suffer from are ankle sprains which affect about 25,000 people every day on a worldwide basis.Strains usually happen when you twist a whole muscle or a tendon. This condition most commonly occurs in cases of sportspersons who are engaged in contact sports like hockey, football, rugby, and such others.
Symptoms :The identification signs of sprains and strains are mostly very similar, which are listed below:
- Pain and discomfort in the joints
- Visible swelling or inflammation seen on the joints
- Bruising of the affected area
- Tenderness and softness of the affected joint
The overall intensity of the above mentioned symptoms might differ basis on the severity of the condition that is directly proportional to the nature of injury that you have faced. Some pains are so light that it may not affect your daily routine at all, whereas some pains are so intense, that you might not be able to move your affected joint at all.
Treatment: Some of the common methods to cure a sprain or a strain are listed below:
- Rest the area which is affected
- Apply ice bags or cold compress to soothe the pain
- Compress the affected joint using a compression tape
- Place the affected joint on an elevated area to speed up the healing process
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!