Lybrate.com has top trusted Orthopedists from across India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Santosh Oscar
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. Santosh OscarYour feedback matters!
Hi I have back pain and these days I was feeling wormity when I sit the cap and my appetite is not gud I'm also married always I have headache and body pain Dr. what, s that meaning.
I have severe lower back pain. I cant bend nor do any work as it pains a lot. This has been going on since 3 weeks now. Took medicines but no effect. I also get bad catch on my legs behind my knees on calf if I stretch my legs. It gives me a lot of pain. Feeling sick all the time causing headaches too. Please help me get rid of this and lead a normal life as before.
Frequently suffering from cervical pain, as it starts in sleep and remains for 10 days, horrible pain that kills me in doing any work.
I am not getting full sleep I can not sleep well please help me regarding this as soon as possible and I also have back pain problems too so help in it also.
I got a pain in my arm due to throwing of ball during cricket. I happened all the time when I play cricket. So, please suggest me what to do to avoid pain, can't leave cricket.
My age is 26 I am suffering from cervical lordosis. Elongation of transverse process in C7. Please suggest medication and who is better a ortho or ortho surgeon or neurologist or neural surgeon.
My left side of the body right from neck the shoulder the arms arm pits my legs all feel numb and have a lot of pain I got my blood tests and all reports are ok.
Ek hafte phele mera chota sa acident usme meri gardan ko zatka laga tha uske 2 din baad se meri gardan me dard raheta he dard sar tak bhi phochoc jata he kaya problam hogi?
My grand mother is aged 75 and has no other medical problems related to bp or sugar. Would you advise knee replacement surgery?
The human body is able to move fluidly because there are various joints, muscles, tendons and cartilages that work together to make this happen. Movements of the hands, legs, back, hips, knees and wrists are controlled this way. For various reasons, however, these tissues grow stiff, thereby, reducing free movement. Any movement causes pain and stiffness and swelling of the joints, which forces the patient to reduce physical activity. This reduced activity further leads to the joints becoming stiff, thus putting the patient in a difficult position.
What causes it?
The ends of the bone are covered by softer tissue called cartilage, which is responsible for allowing the free movement. In patients with osteoarthritis, this cartilage is lost and the bones rub against each other, producing pain and a crackling sound with the movement. Some of the most common causes include the following:
- Age is the most common cause for osteoarthritis, with lifestyle habits playing a major role in this condition. Most joints would be affected here.
- Obesity is another major cause for osteoarthritis, as the additional weight of the person puts extra pressure on the knees and the legs, leading to the wearing of the joints. The back and lower extremities are more affected than the hands in this case.
- Joint injuries are another common cause for osteoarthritis, which is more localised to the area of injury.
What are the signs and symptoms?
As noted already, painful movement is the most common symptom of osteoarthritis. There could also be swelling and redness around the affected joint(s).
Diagnosis: The doctor will usually be able to identify osteoarthritis after an examination, but in some cases, an X-ray or MRI may be required to confirm the diagnosis.
The treatment for osteoarthritis is multipronged.
- For immediate relief of the pain, non-steroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs are used. In cases of localised symptoms, even topical creams or gels may be used.
- Weight loss is extremely essential, if there is obesity that is causing the osteoarthritis.
- Vitamins and supplements in good amounts can improve bone health and help in preventing and reversing the damage in some patients.
- Heat therapy has proven to be quite useful in many cases to provide temporary relief
- As much as the movement of the joints is painful for the patient, it is only with regular exercise that the joints can be made more flexible and mobile.
- The affected joints need to be specially cared for by avoiding injury and reducing unnecessary movements.
- Role of physiotherapy in the management of OA - Strengthening exercises, Taping, Manual therapy, Education/lifestyle changes, Modalities, Agility and perturbation training.
- The definitive therapy of OA is joint replacement (total/partial knee/hip joint replacement).
In addition, support groups and counselling may also help significantly in patients who find their quality of life being reduced due to this condition. Remember, not all is lost with osteoarthritis. It is definitely possible to get your life back to its earlier days when you were able to move about freely.