Lybrate.com has top trusted Radiologists from across India. You will find Radiologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Radiologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sanjay Vaid
Diagnostic X- Ray
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Uterine Artery Embolization
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Angiography Radial Approach
Submit a review for Dr. Sanjay VaidYour feedback matters!
If you are concerned about liver cancer, you should know that most people do not experience signs and symptoms of the cancer in the early stages. Liver cancer is a form of cancer which occurs in the cells of the liver. There are various types of cancer which can develop in the liver. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the most common liver cancer which begins in the hepatocyte, which is the main liver cell.
Usually there are no specific primary stage symptoms of liver cancer. Some symptoms which may develop include the following:
Unusual weight loss is observed
Loss of appetite and developing food aversion
Pain in the upper abdomen
General weakness with intense fatigue
Swelling in the abdomen
The skin may become yellow
White and chalky stools are likely
In most cases, the causes of liver cancer cannot be clearly determined. In some cases, the cause is known, such as chronic infection with the hepatitis virus, which may lead to liver cancer. Liver cancer occurs when the liver cells undergo changes or mutations in their DNA structure. DNA mutations lead to changes in instructions of chemical processes taking place in the body. The cells may grow out of control and develop into a cancerous tumour.
There are several factors which enhance the risk of liver cancer. They are as follows:
A progressive and irreversible condition known as cirrhosis leads to scar tissue formation in the liver, increasing the risk of liver cancer.
Certain inherited liver diseases such as Wilson’s disease and hemochromatosis also increase the chances of liver cancer.
People with diabetes are also at a greater risk of having liver cancer.
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which is the accumulation of fat in the liver, also increases the chances of getting this condition.
Excessive alcohol consumption is another factor which causes irreversible damage to the liver and the chances of getting liver cancer get boosted.
Exposure to aflatoxins, which are poisons produced by molds growing on poorly stored crops, make you more likely to get liver cancer.
Several tests and procedures are carried out for the diagnosis of liver cancer. These include blood tests for diagnosing liver function problems, and imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan and MRI scan.
Mai Dr. Arun Kumar Goel, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Vaishali, Ghaziabad mein Cancer Surgery department ka head hoon, aur breast oncology unit ka director bhi hoon.
Mere main area of interest me breast cancer ka management ek pramukh area hai, breast cancer mahilaon ka sabse common cancer hai jo major cities hai metropolitan Delhi- NCR, Bombay aur aisi cities mein. Aur iska jo incidence hai woh badhta ja raha hai jiske kai karan hai, isme breast cancer ke ilaj mein pichle 30-40 saalon mein bahut tarakki hui hai aur aaj ke din hum dekhte hain ki breast cancer ke marijoo ka survival rate hai woh 90% se upar hai, lekin itna achha survival achieve karne ke liye hame jo hai uski diagnosis bahut jaldi karni padti hai. Toh yeh ek bahut sabse important baat hai, jo sabse common symptom hai breast cancer ka woh hai breast mein ek lump ya ganth ka hona. Ab breast ki ganthe kuch cancerous hoti hai kuch non-cancerous hoti hai, lekin jab bhi koi ganth ho toh yeh possibility zaroor sochna chahiye ki kahi cancer to nahi hai aur turant ek cancer specialist ya breast surgeon se opinion lena chahiye. Cancer ki diagnosis banane ke liye usme kuch janche hoti hai jisme mammography ya ultrasound hota hai, fine needle aspiration cytology ya biopsy hoti hai aur kabhi kabhi breast ka MRI bhi kiya jata hai. Toh agar cancer confirm hota hai toh phir uske baad kuch staging test karte hain yeh dekhne ke liye ki bimari sharir mein kahin faili toh nahi hai, jyadatar cases me bimari localised hoti hai aur uska ilaj jo hai sabse pehle operation ya surgery ke dwara kiya jata hai jo meri main feild hai. Jyadatar logo ko breast cancer surgery mein jo pareshani hoti hai ki pehle ilaj hota tha usme purye breast ko remove kiya jata tha jise hum log mastectomy kehte thye, lekin agar mareez early stage mein aata hai ganth bahut badi nahi hai to pura breast nikalna zaroori nahi hai, hum log breast conservation surgery ke dwara breast ko bchaa sakte hain. Isme aage aur kafi advances huye hai aur aaj kal hum log jo approach follow karte hain jis bolte hain oncoplastic breast conservation surgery, jisme jo cosmetic results pehle se bhi bheter hai. Agar kuch marijoo mein pura breast nikalna zaroori bhi hota hai toh reconstruction bhi kiya ja sakta hai. Aur ek nai approach jo surgery mein aaj kal hum log use kar rahe hai jise kehte hain Sentinel lymph Node Biopsy, yeh armpit ki jo ganthe hoti hain nodes unke management ke liye ek latest approach hai aur iss approach ka istemal karne se jo hathon mein sujan aane ka risk hai Lymphedema wo kafi kam ho jati hai. Toh surgery basically jo ho jati hai uske baad kuch marijoo mein additional treatment ki zaroorat ho sakti hai jaise chemotherapy hai, radiotherapy hai, ya kuch dawaiya hai jo hormonal intervention karti hain. Toh surgery ke baad kafi marijoo mein jo pehela ilaj hoga woh chemotherapy hota hai, jo 4 se 8 cycle tak diya ja sakta hai. Radiotherapy jin marijoo mein hoti hai woh bhi again aaj kal karib 3 hafte mein puri ho jati hai jo ki pehle usme 6 se 7 hafte lagte thye, aur nahi radiation technology ke through jo side effects hai radiation ke wo kafi kam ho gaye hain. Isi prakar hormonal therapy jo hai woh yeh radiation or chemo khatam hone ke baad di jati hai jis mein sirf ek tablet hoti hai jo marijoo ko ghar pe regular istemal karna padta hai aur wo 5 se 10 saal tak use ki ja sakti hai. Ek aur important cheez yeh hai ki jo bhi cancer ke marij hote hain unko ek regular follow up pe chalna padta hai, toh ilaj pura hone ke baad har 3 mahine baad unhe apne surgeon ke pass follow up ke liye jana chahiye, jisme examination jo hai woh ek bahut important part hai. Phir uske baad kuch testing ho sakti hai jaise chhati ka x-ray hai, ultrasound hai, mammography hai, aur agar koi aur takleef hoti hai tu Bol Scan, MRI, CT ya Pet Scan bhi kiya ja sakta hai. Iske alawa breast cancer ke marijoo mein jo ek aur cheez hoti hai hum log ek jo usko promote karte hain woh hai support group ka concept, jisme breast cancer ke survival aapas mein milte hain, ek doosre se cheeze discuss karte hain aur support bhi provide kar sakte hain aur isse unki jo future life hai wo kafi better rehti hai. Toh mein yahi kahunga ke cancer se aapko waise bhi nahi darna chahiye aur breast cancer ke jo aaj ke din success rate hai wo bahut hi acchi hai toh bina darre janch karaye aur apna ilaj pura kare.
Dhanyavad, Thank you.
Arguably one of the most fatal diseases that threaten human life, Meningitis has been the cause of a lot of recent deaths. Essentially Meningitis is triggered off by the anomalous inflammation of the protective membranes called meninges in the brain and spinal cord. Spurred by some sort of a bacterial or viral attack, this condition emanates from an infection of the fluids in the cranial chamber. Often such conditions are also stimulated by some external injury, cancerous development or even certain kinds of reaction from a given drug or the other.
Depending on the precise cause of the disease, Meningitis may be categorized as Bacterial Meningitis, Viral Meningitis or Fungal Meningitis. Other forms of Meningitis include parasitic Meningitis, Amebic Meningitis and Non-Infectious Meningitis. Meningitis could potentially be contagious. Through lengthy and proximal contact like coughing or kissing, if saliva or spit gets exchanged, Meningitis causing germs may spread from one person to the other.
Streptococcus pneumoniae and Neisseria Meningitidis are the two of the most rampant Meningitis causing bacteria. They have the potential of causing irreversible damage to several vital organs. However, with substantive progress in medical science, effective and suitable medication has been made available to the larger populace. But, immediate attention is imperative in this case.
Viral Meningitis is relatively milder than the other forms of meningitis. Enteroviruses, arboviruses and herpes virus are some of the most common sources of this kind of Meningitis. People with strong immunity are usually able to overcome this without much ado. Vaccines are available widely in the markets to cure viral meningitis.
Fungal Meningitis are caused primarily from external influences. Inhaling fungal spores from the environment is one of the most prominent factors that lead to Meningitis. People suffering from fatal diseases like cancer, diabetes or HIV are more susceptible to fungal Meningitis. While these are a few of the primary forms of meningitis, other triggers to this disease occur due to various environmental interventions. These are consequent upon interactions with various disease causing allergens. Cure to meningitis is available in the form of intravenous injections. But timely diagnosis and treatment is essential for a good outcome. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
I have back pain before 3 years. I have checked MRI test in hospital that result show the mild disc dics bulge noted at L4 and L5 level intending the thecal sac without neurological compression. Doctor has given pain relief tablets but no get relaxation. Please give me solution.
Good morning, I am Dr Dinesh Singh I am director predation oncology at Max hospital, Vaishali and today I will be talking about the most common cancer of women in India, it is breast cancer and there is no age bar. We have seen patients as young as 17 to 18 years and as old as 80 to 90 years. So every woman is at risk of getting the breast cancer, now which are the ladies which are more prone to get breast cancer when those ladies who do not have the breastfed their child, those who are very obese or those who have history of a breast cancer in their first relative like in the father, mausi, sister they are at higher risk, but then any population is at risk of developing cancer. What we need to understand is that we should be aware about our body and we should do a self breast examination every month, so that we know the change which happens in our breast over a period of time and once you notice that there is a lump in the breast, usually, pain is not initial symptom of Cancer any cancer in the body and whenever you notice that there is a lump in the breast then it has to be further investigated. The age is less than 40 years we go for an ultrasound of the breast which is more than 40 years we go for mammography of the breast. And then further investigation like a biopsy of the lump and if it is found cancerous, then we do for the test to see whether it is spread to another part of the body or not. Well, that tells us about the stage the breast cancer is and then depending upon the stage the treatment is decided. That let us say that we diagnose breast cancer at a very early stage that means it is less than 3 to 4 cm and at that time we do not need to remove the entire breast of the person to cure the person, we can remove only a portion the cancerous portion plus a little bit of arching around the tumor and in the axilla we have to do surgery to get out the nodes. For that now it is a sentinel node biopsy is done what happens in that is that we identify the draining lymph nodes we take them no we study them then and there when the patient is still under anaesthesia and if they are not cancerous then we do not take out the further lymph nodes of the axilla, if they are cancerous then we take them out. After that then the further treatments depends upon the final histopathology report of the tumor, if the tumor is very small If in case very sensitive to hormones these patients don't need any chemotherapy, radiotherapy becomes a part of the every breast conservation surgery and if that tumor is larger or it is not sensitive to hormones then we have to give chemotherapy. In chemotherapy now very latest medicines are available there are called targeted therapy and the cure rates have become very high. All the cancers especially breast cancer the side effects are very minimal, we have all the medicines which can take care of the vomiting, the infection and other side effects which are happening along with the chemotherapy. And regarding radiotherapy, the latest technology is targeted radiation or image-guided radiation along with other things we are able to do a very pinpoint radiation to the area where it should go. So that it saves the underline normal structures from getting exposed to radiations the cure rates become very high and the side effects are very low. So I will say that all the girls and all the ladies they should do a self-examination try to be familiar with their normal body oncology, diagnose cancer early to treat it properly and be the cure of cancer. Thank you.
Sir slip disk ka koi treatment hai without operation kyu ki mujhe slip disk ka problem hai 4 months ho gaye hai dawai khate khate par koi aram nai hai.
A spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord. It’s an extremely serious type of physical trauma that’s likely to have a lasting and significant impact on most aspects of daily life.
The spinal cord is responsible for sending messages from the brain to all parts of the body. It also sends messages from the body to the brain. We are able to perceive pain and move our limbs because of messages sent through the spinal cord.
If the spinal cord sustains an injury, some or all of these impulses may not be able to ‘get through’. The result is a complete or total loss of sensation and mobility below the injury. A spinal cord injury closer to the neck will typically cause paralysis throughout a larger part of the body than one in the lower back area.
A spinal cord injury is often the result of an unpredictable accident or violent event. The following can all result in damage to the spinal cord:
- a violent attack such as a stabbing or a gunshot
- diving into water that’s too shallow and hitting the bottom
- trauma during a car accident (specifically trauma to the face, head and neck region, back, or chest area)
- falling from a significant height
- head or spinal injuries during sporting events
- electrical accidents
- severe twisting of the middle portion of the torso
Some symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- problems walking
- loss of control of the bladder or bowels
- inability to move the arms or legs
- feelings of spreading numbness or tingling in the extremities
- pain, pressure, stiffness in the back or neck area
- signs of shock
- unnatural positioning of the head
If you suspect that someone has a back or neck injury:
- Don’t move the injured person – permanent paralysis and other serious complications may result
- Call 911 or your local emergency medical assistance number
- Keep the person still
- Place heavy towels on both sides of the neck or hold the head and neck to prevent them from moving until emergency care arrives
- Provide basic first aid, such as stopping any bleeding and making the person comfortable, without moving the head or neck
Treatment should be focused upon that individual and tailored specifically to their condition. A treatment programme is formulated following a thorough physical assessment which might include:
- Stretching activities to maintain muscle and tendon length and reduce or keep muscle spasms/spasticity to a minimum.
- Flexibility and strengthening exercises for the whole body.
- Breathing exercises to maximise lung function and prevent chest infection.
- Balance and posture exercises which can help to reduce pain associated with poor posture and balance impairment and ensure correct transfer techniques (in/out of wheelchair, bed, toilet/bath, car etc.)
- Functional activities to improve fundamental movement patterns such as rolling over and sitting up, and standing where appropriate.
- Walking re-education, if there is sufficient muscle activity and power in the legs.
Your physiotherapist might also be able to advise an individual on use of appropriate equipment such as wheel-chairs and pressure releasing cushions, exercise equipment and electrical muscle stimulators.
Because spinal cord injuries are often due to unpredictable events, the best you can do is reduce your risk.
Some risk-reducing measures include:
- Always wearing a seatbelt while in a car
- Wearing proper protective gear while playing sports
- Never diving into water unless you’ve examined it first to make sure it’s deep enough and free of rocks
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Cancer that originates in the bones of a human body is referred to as bone cancer. Any bone could come under the threat of this disease, but generally the longer bones of your body, so to say the bones of your limbs, are at a greater risk.
A few factors that might push you an inch closer to bone cancer are:
- Genes could jinx your health: A few typical genetic syndromes could increase a person's chances of contracting bone cancer. These syndromes could have been active in any person belonging to your lineage. One such syndrome is Li-Fraumeni.
- Treatment for one kind of cancer can make you prone to some other kind: Radiation affects your bones adversely. A patient of breast cancer might be undergoing radiation therapy that further increases his or her risk of contracting bone cancer in future.
- Paget's disease can have unfavorable implications: Paget's disease is a disease that affects elderly people. This condition, if left untreated, can turn into bone cancer at a later stage.
Several symptoms of bone cancer can be found below:
- Sudden loss of weight: If you lose a considerable amount of weight in a few weeks time without having made any effort at all, you should probably be worried about the health of your bones. Bone cancer can result in sudden and unintentional weight loss.
- Unexpected bone fracture or breakage: Cancer of the bones is known to gnaw at the strength of your bones. Weakened and diseased bones can break or get fractured very easily. An unexpected fracture should not be overlooked so as to prevent chances of anything more harmful.
- Long spans of unyielding exhaustion: Constant fatigue and sleepiness might be hinting at a more serious underlying problem. The bones in your body hold you together; cancerous bone cells can make you feel exhausted without much exertion as your bones lose their inherent potency.
- Persistent pain in the bones: Excruciating cramps or pangs of stinging pain in a person's bones either continuously or at odd hours, could be indicative of bone cancer. Such instances require the advice and guidance of an experienced oncologist.
- Bone swelling: The area affected by bone cancer can grow big and tender or the bone itself can swell up.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The treatment options for bone cancer depends on the type of cancer one is suffering from, the general health of the patient, the stage of cancer and the general preference of the patient. Different treatment options are designed for different types of cancer, based on the diagnosis. Each treatment responds in a different way. An oncologist decides the treatment options considering all the factors mentioned above. For instance, some cancer is best suited to surgery, while some cancer needs radiotherapy or chemotherapy to curb them. In many cases, all three modes of treatment might be required to tackle the growth of the cancer cells.
The goal of surgery is to eradicate the cancer cells in totality along with some surrounding healthy tissues. This involves special techniques to remove a tumor in one piece. Following are the types of surgeries that are available:
- Removing the cancer cells sparing the limb: At the very first sight, the surgeon tries to understand whether it is possible to separate cancer cells from the tissues and the nerves. If the same is possible, the surgeon tries to save the limb while getting rid of the cancer cells. For the sake of safety and to ensure that the surgery is effective, the surgeon removes some of the healthy bone from the body and may replace the same with tissue from other parts of the body. To achieve this, a doctor might seek the help from of a bone bank or use a special metal prosthesis.
- Surgery that does not involve the limbs: If the bone cancer does not involve the legs and the arm, surgeons can remove the affected bone along with some healthy bone from the surrounding areas. Cancer of the ribs and the spine are good examples of this type.
- Surgery that affects the limb: Bone cancer that has spread to a significant extent and is strategically located in such areas that it is very difficult to remove, requires amputation. While this form of treatment is being increasingly discouraged by the wider medical community, it still does exist. In such cases, patients are fitted with artificial limbs and trained to do their job without the use of natural limbs.
This is a form of drug treatment that uses powerful chemicals to kill cancer cells throughout the body. This medication is mostly given through an IV and the medication kills whatever cancer cells it comes across.
Radiation therapy involves the use of special X-ray beams that have high power and can kill cancer cells. The patients are required to lie on a table, while a machine moves around the affected area and treats it with high energy X-rays, thereby killing the cancer cells. Radiation therapy is often used in conjunction with chemotherapy to reduce the size of a tumor before operating on it. Also, Brachytherapy is another kind of radiotherapy in which plastic tubes for introducing radioactive sources are placed over tutor bed during surgery, later it is connected with brachytherapy machine to give extra high dose to tutor bed to improve cure rates.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!