Lybrate.com has top trusted Geriatricians from across India. You will find Geriatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Geriatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sanjay Powar
Submit a review for Dr. Sanjay PowarYour feedback matters!
Which exercise is good for a patient who recovered from a minor paralysis stroke on right leg thumb finger. What precautions should be taken so it will not repeat.
It is benign self?limiting syndrome caused by several viruses.
It is one of the most frequent acute illnesses.
The term ?common cold? refers to a mild upper respiratory viral illness presenting with sneezing, nasal congestion, nasal discharge, low grade fever, headache and malaise.
Common cold is not the same as influenza or common sore throat, which can also involve the heart.
Common cold affects a preschool child 5?7 times in a year and adult 2?3 times in a year.
It can spread by hand contact, by direct contact with the infected person or by indirect contact with a contaminated environmental surface.
It can also spread by small particle droplets that become airborne from sneezing or coughing.
It can also be transmitted via large particle droplets that typically require close contact with infected person.
Most important is hand to hand transmission of the virus.
Infection can also spread through circulating air in commercial airline passenger cabins.
Saliva does not spread any cold.
The disease is most infectious on the 2nd and 3rd day of illness.
However, a person may be infectious for upto two weeks.
Normal cold may last for 8?10 days.
The diagnosis is based on clinical findings.
Common cold can exacerbate asthma in susceptible individuals.
Common cold, as the name suggests, is one of the most common diseases in the world. It is a communicable disease, mainly occurring during seasonal change, even though it is not chronic in nature. Homeopathy has the most effective medicines which treat common cold without the side effects offered by allopathic medicines, such as drowsiness. Read on to know which are those:
- Aconite: This homeopathic medicine is recommended when the most preliminary signs of common cold appear, such as getting thirsty frequently and being overly-anxious.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is for more severe signs of cold, such as high fever and persistence of a throbbing headache.
- Natrum mur: This medicine is effective for a runny nose, with initially clear snot thickening after a period of 24-48 hours.
- Nux vomica: Nux vomica is effective for constant sensation of chill, with warmth not felt even in the comfort of the bed. It is also effective for headaches, blocked nose, body-aches, and nausea as results of the cold.
- Gelsemium: Gelsemium is advisable for the known symptoms of common cold such as headache, fever, fatigue, drowsiness, shivers, etc.
- Eupatorium perf: This medicine is effective in case of recurring thirst, sore muscles and bones, and immense headache that get worse on any kind of movement.
- Arsenicum iod: If you are experiencing continuous sneezing with burning sensation and a nasal discharge, this is the medicine you should take.
- Ferrum Phos: This medicine is also given at the preliminary stage, when the onset is slow, with mild fever, which gets worse especially with the approach of night.
- Pulsatilla: When you have a nose with dense discharge and blocked ears, remember that these symptoms may worsen at night. This is the medicine best suited to your cold in such a situation.
- Influenzinum: It is a homeopathic remedy for flu. The medicine, which is diluted and potentized, strengthens the immune system to fight against flu viruses. It does not suppress the symptoms but makes your immune system strong to not allow foreign viruses affect your health.
I had cough cold and light fever from thirty days using medicines but no cure give me suggestions hdjdsjsjsjdkjdjd idkdkdkdjodjdjksududj.
Hi i am Having severe cold and cough for 3 days, roamed entire day yesterday searching for winter clothes wearing different jackets, had less water, in the night swelling on left and right arm, few places on the face. In the night lips swelled, and most parts of the face. Need your advice.
I feel very cold in winter season than normal person. Kindly suggest the right diet, food that I should eat during this season so that I will more comfort and easy with good warm.
Influenza or seasonal flu is basically a viral infection. It is different from common flu that accounts for many conditions that occur due to changing weather. These conditions include cold, stomach problems and fever. Influenza or flu comes with a variety of symptoms and is primarily caused by a virus due to lack of precautions taken as far as food and outings go, during the changing seasons.
Let us find out more about the symptoms and treatment:
- Symptoms: The main symptoms of this condition include fever, an aching body, dullness, fatigue, dry hacking coughs, a sore throat and even headaches. Appetite loss and drowsiness are also some symptoms of the condition.
- Causes: Influenza is usually caused by either of the two influenza viruses, such as virus A or Virus B. The strains of these viruses are known to change every year.
- Congestion: The main form of treatment revolves around treating the congestion that may have occurred in the nasal or the sinus tracts. The treatment for this is usually done with the help of nasal decongestants or sprays which can be used for a few days to get relief until the infection and congestion leaves the body. One must avoid the use of these decongestants for prolonged periods of time as they can make the condition reoccur again and again.
- Allergies: Histamine is the chemical that the body produces automatically when an allergy hits. This is what causes influenza and hay fever as well. One can get treated with the help of anti-histamine drugs that will be prescribed for the doctor in case an allergic reaction or hay fever is detected. This drug can cause severe drowsiness, so it is best to take it at night and wake up fresh in the morning.
- Blood Pressure and Other Complications: It is important to know what kind of medication you are allergic to, before you ingest anything or take a spray. If you are suffering from high blood pressure or any other cardiovascular complications, then you may want to steer clear of decongestants as these sprays can increase the blood pressure as well as the heart rate of the patient.
- Cough: In order to cure a cough, one can take a cough medicine that will also have anti-histamines and analgesics, which will help in clearing the pollutants, dirt and allergens that have caused the cough.
- Fever: In case you are experiencing fever and body ache, you can take aspirin or acetaminophen. However, this should be avoided by children.
With the treatment, one should take ample precautions while stepping out the home. Also, the patient should be careful about the dosage to avoid an overdose. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.