Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Dilatation And Curettage (D C) Procedure
Egg Donation Procedure
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Food Plan Preparation
Submit a review for Dr. Sanjay AgarwalYour feedback matters!
I can not sleep properly every night. Which medicine you refer to me? And I hv also sugar in my blood.
Hlo sir/madam, I am lady of 38 years old and now I am suffering from thyroid and I have two child's with operation delivery! Now I have a problem that my body weight is 88 kg and I am look so fatty, and bad! Please suggest me how to reduce weight and look slim and fight against thyroid?
Endocrinology deals with hormones, hormone systems and hormonal disorders. The organs that come under endocrinology are pituitary gland, adrenal glands, ovaries or testicles, thyroid gland and pancreas. These organs maintain the chemical balance of the body by secreting hormones which regulate all the body systems.
Diabetes is the name for a group of diseases which are characterized by abnormalities in the absorption of glucose and blood sugar levels.
Relation between the endocrine system and diabetes:
The hormone insulin is secreted by the pancreatic beta cells called the islets of Langerhans. It is a peptide hormone that metabolizes carbohydrates, proteins and fats, stimulates the conversion of glycogen or stored protein to usable glucose and also helps the body cells to absorb the glucose. The movement of ionized or free calcium (Ca2+) is also somewhat dependent on insulin.
Insulin is secreted from the pancreas in two phases - the first phase occurs when blood sugar level is high and need to be absorbed into the cells while the second phase is associated with a slower production not influenced by blood sugar.
Types of diabetes and how they are affected by the endocrine system
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus: This condition is caused by underproduction of insulin by the pancreatic beta cells. It is called 'insulin dependent diabetes mellitus' (IDDM), since it is directly influenced by the hormone.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus: This type of the disorder is not directly dependent on insulin. It is usually caused by obesity and lack of physical exercise. The cells develop resistance to insulin and because of that blood sugar is not absorbed properly. This eventually leads to under-secretion of insulin.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus: Pregnant women might develop high levels of blood sugar even if they did not have diabetes in the past. This occurs due the changes in the regular hormonal cycles and secretion of pregnancy hormones and can result is complications and miscarriage.
Sub-specialties of diabetic endocrinology
- Diabetic renal disease: The kidneys filter the blood. If there are chronically high levels of sugar in blood, hormones like erythropoietin (regulates production of red blood cells) and renin (regulates blood plasma and fluid content) are not produced. As a result, the kidneys' capacity is reduced and waste materials build up in blood.
- Diabetic vision problems: Insulin problems may cause the blood vessels supplying the retina (light sensitive eye tissue) to expand or contract. This causes blurry and distorted vision and pain in the eyes.
It will control your blood sugar very soon and will lower your need of anti-diabetic medicines and it is very good to reduce cholesterol and good for digestion also.
I'M 23. I read that pcos causes diabetes? I had a scan in sept 2015 that showed polycystic appearing ovaries. I have been having problems like period cycle lasting 3 days instead of normal 5 days since 2 cycles. Bitter sour taste in mouth. Acne on forehead since a month (I never had acne problems even as a teenager). Etc. My thyroid test (done in Aug 2015) is normal. So could diabetes be the cause of my problem?
What causes hasimoto's thirotidis and what is the best method for treatment? Can iodine help this condition?
I am suffering from diabetes to 4 year and my health is very week ,I am not like food and I am consult a doctor, doctor advised me your voice in a two spot.
Being overweight can be as problematic as being underweight. Both the situations can have an effect on the infertility in a woman. Usually, the body stores the sex hormones in the fat layers. That is why, if a person is underweight, she can have infertility issues, as there is not enough storage space for the hormones. In the same way if a person is overweight, then there is an excess of fat tissues and the amount of the hormone estrogen released is usually more than that the body can handle. This leads to a disruption of the chemicals and proteins, leading to adverse reactions and infertility.
Common Weight Related Infertility Reasons
Being overweight is somewhat linked with the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and an increase in estrogen hormone. Also, there is a greater chance of a luteal phase defect. Let us see how these can affect a woman:
- Estrogen: This hormone is produced by the fat cells, and if there is too much of estrogen production, then the body reacts to it in a similar manner when birth control pills are taken. Ovulation may or may not occur, and if it does, it might be inadequate. And the inadequate ovulation leads to luteal phase defect.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): This is basically an endocrine disorder with a combination of many symptoms. Symptoms are pain, irregular cycles, ovulatory pain, ovarian cysts, excessive body hair and heavy menstrual bleeding. Diagnosis for PCOS helps in determining the treatment for weight loss.
- Luteal Phase Defect: The luteal phase refers to the phase between the ovulation and the menses. The ideal time period for this phase is 14 days. LPD is generally caused by improper ovulation, and thus improving the quality of the follicles is necessary to correct the situation.
How Does Being Overweight Affect Conception Rate
As per a study which was published in the British Medical Journal, if women are too lean or too obese, they can have difficulty in conceiving and that fat distribution has an effect on the body. Women who have a large waist-hip ratio have difficulty in conceiving, and apple shaped women also face the same trouble. Usually, women who have PCOS have an apple shaped body.
Risk of Miscarriage Due To Being Overweight
Women suffering from PCOS and obesity have more chances of miscarriage as compared to others. The reason is that women with PCOS have increased LH, which tends to affect the pregnancy. However, it is noticed that even if excess fat does not play any role in pregnancy, women with PCOS have excess weight which creates high risk as compared to the others.
Finding Help for Overweight Issues is a Good Idea
Seeking help if you are overweight is always advisable. Consulting a good gynecologist can help along with weight management and fertility treatment. You shouldn't have any hesitations, and all the questions should be asked freely so as to get a holistic idea of the treatment. The doctor might suggest some tests and also conduct a physical examination of the lymph nodes and the abdomen, to check the ovaries and the uterus. Post physical examination, an internal examination of the cervix to check for infections is done, and if need be, a pap smear might be collected and sent to the lab for culture. At times, a trans-vaginal or an abdominal ultrasound might also be done to rule out the possibilities of abnormalities or others cysts. Tests to check the levels of hormones are also done.
It is always a wise decision to know how being overweight can impact the chances of becoming pregnant. Working towards losing weight and getting it under healthy BMI levels, can lead to the restoration of the hormones and in turn make you healthier.
Sir my father, aged 58, is suffering from diabetes for 10 years. Now cataract has developed in his left eye. What are the complications occur during operation?
I have continuous pain in head, doc asked it might be due to high uric acid or high blood pressure, which I have. Suggest what to di.
Thyroid is one among the many glands in the endocrine system, whose secreted hormones regulate and maintain various metabolic activities. Thyroid problem, in generic terms, refers to a situation where there is an abnormal secretion of the thyroid hormone. The secretion can either be abundant, causing what is known as hyperthyroidism, or insufficient which, in turn is known as hypothyroidism. Both of these conditions are detrimental to health affecting not only your body weight but also the growth of bones and hair. Though different branches of medicines are constantly dabbling with this problem, Homeopathy is the most preferred choice.
Some of the reasons for it are:
- Treats severe sweating, problems in menstruation and constipation: One of the most important advantages of Homeopathy medicines is that each one of them is equipped to treat a host of ailments. The condition, hypothyroidism is symptomatic of excessive sweating on the head, constipation and problems in menstruating in women. All of these can be cured by the intake of Calcarea Carbonica.
- Cures paleness of skin, tendencies of fainting and hair fall: This is another characteristic of hypothyroidism, wherein you suffer from pale, yellow skin and are unable to bear extreme cold temperatures due to the lack of vitality and body heat.  At the same time, women in their menopause tend to suffer from excessive hair fall. In all of these situations, a Homeopathic medicine called Sepia Officinalis is extremely beneficial in curbing these.
- Does not create overt reliance on medicines: Hyperthyroidism is a condition that is marked by nervousness and anxiety. Though allopathic medicines have always been preferred to others, it must also been considered that in their attempt to cure, they end up creating an overt reliance of medicines in the patients.
- Suits everybody: The primary reason for preferring Homeopathy to others is their complete lack of any side-effect. Both allopathy and ayurveda may or may not work on certain individuals. However, that is not the case for Homeopathy as it does not adopt any artificial means to cure thyroid problems, rather uses natural means to regulate the secretion of the thyroid gland.
Best Ways to Balance Hormones Naturally:
- Eat Healthy Fats (Including Coconut Oil and Avocados)
- Supplement with Adaptogen Herbs
- Balance Your Intake of Omega-3 to Omega-6 Fats
- Improve Gut Health & Heal Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Eliminate Toxic Kitchen, Beauty and Body Care Products
- Exercise (Especially Interval Training)
- Reduce Stress & Get More Sleep
- Watch Your Caffeine & Alcohol Intake
- Back Off Birth Control Pills
- Supplement with Vitamin D3