Lybrate.com has top trusted Dentists from across India. You will find Dentists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Samir JoshiYour feedback matters!
Chewing gum may be made popular as a style statement in the recent past, but in reality, it is as ancient as the Aztecs and the Mayans, who had the habit of chewing gum or bark. Over the years, numerous studies have been conducted to deep-dive into its benefits, and it has been found to be very beneficial.
With the recent fad of foods going sugar-free, chewing gums also left the sugar in them out.
For routine regular oral care, it is advisable to brush and rinse after each meal. However, in cases when one is not at home, this becomes a practical challenge. A good option is to chew a sugar-free gum after each meal, so that decay and gum disease are reduced to a large extent. This can be supplemented with a brushing or flossing as soon as it becomes available.
In addition to avoiding sugar load, there are other benefits of chewing sugar-free gum as listed below:
- Kills microorganisms: It is believed that chewing sugar-free gum for about 10 minutes can kill up to 100 million bacteria in the mouth.
- Stimulates production of saliva: The jaw movement that happens with chewing gum increases saliva production and flow. This helps in diluting the acids in the mouth, flushing out plaque, and removing food particles that are lodged in various areas.
- Prevents decay: With improved salivary flow, the chances of dental decay are delayed. Studies comparing pH of the mouth before and after chewing gum have confirmed that sugar-free gums reduce the acidic level of the mouth, which is conducive for tooth decay. There is no actual sugar in the gum, thereby one of the factors required for decay is eliminated.
- Xylitol: One of the main ingredients in sugar-free gums, it is shown to reduce the amount of bacteria that lead to decay in the mouth. This is an ingredient from fruits and vegetables and so good for the overall health.
- Improves digestion: As is well known, the first step of digestion begins in the mouth. With improved salivary flow and increased chewing, food is digested to a greater extent leading to reduced incidence of acid reflux.
- Boosts logic and memory: Chewing gum stimulates blood flow to the brain and stimulates the neural pathway. This has multiple benefits including improved memory, improved alertness and logical skills, reduced anxiety, and improved learning and memory.
- Saves money: With all these benefits, especially reduced incidence of gum disease and tooth decay, it is estimated that a lot of money spent on dental treatments is saved.
So, the next time you see the sugar-free gum at the billing counter, there is no need to think too much about it, go for it!!
Today I went for dental check up and I am having pain in tooth in which I had root canal 6 years ago in 3 tooth. From xray report I got infection 2 of them. My dentist prescribed 5days of antibiotics and told we can't do re-root canal and we have to remove tooth. What is the other option? Can I take risk of re root canal?
Sir, I hv gaps between my front upper teeth. I want to go for crowns. Bt I heard that crowns will cause tooth decay. What I should do?
Hi i Am eating to much of polo and pass pass am too addicted I don't known why? what will happen. If I eat this too much.
My Wife have problem of bad breath. Sometimes its difficult in having sex also. Ii just feel moodless. Kindly guide home remedies or any allopathy or homeopathy for control and vanishing of bad breath.
There are scratches in my teeth and till date I have never gone for cleaning of my teeth. I would like to clean my teeth and remove scratches from the teeth.
My mouth was not open properly because I m eating gutkha from few year. What are the precise to open my mouth.
I am 46 years old and having some issue with my breath. I brush my teeth every day but still having some bad breath all the day. Changing my tooth paste every time. Brush my teeth every nite before go to bed but still this issue. I smoke regularly, due to this issue I am not able to speak with my clients. Please suggest and help me.
My sisters dental jaw shifting right side due to some wrong dentist treatments and she stop treatment from them now teeth are cut and very little can't eat Also dentist didn't provide caps kindly suggest what to do.
I am 44years old. I am having sesivity of my tooth. Pls give me advise what are the remedies to overcome this sencivity.
I need root canal in 4 n 5 tooth. Please let me know your bestdiscounted price for root canal in 4 n 5tooth n ceramic caps for both. Let me know the no of sittings needed
Whenever I eat chocolate, I will have pain in my teeth. Otherwise I don't have, while doing brush, everyday I will get blood.
Sir/madam, I am 18y old my weight is approx 85 whenever I eat food too much gas is forming in my stomach and i'm getting bad breathe is there any solution for that im looking forward for solution please help me.Please tell.
I am suffering from mandibular tori in my lower jaw and I think it becomes large in size in one side . What should I do?Please tell.
Hi, am 29 years old, I have yellowish teeth after doing brush twice a day. Could you please suggest something to make them white ?
I usually use to brush my tooth twice a day one at morning and another at before going to bed I use close up diamond attraction toothpaste. But still my tooth gets decayed so please suggest me what should I have already done por composite on my few tooth so please suggest me what I do now.
When should I drink the warm lemon water in the morning? Before the brush or after the brush? please say me about the time gap to be taken for breakfast.
Know about different type of Dental Braces