Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Trichologists in India. You will find Trichologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can view profiles of all Trichologists online in Pune. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Ruchi Shrivastava
Treatment of Hair Growth
Hair Health Treatment Procedures
Face Hair Removal Procedures
Laser Hair Removal
Prp Hair Transplant
Hair Care Procedure
Hair Regrowth Procedure
Alopecia Areata Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Hair Patch Procedure
Hair Restoration Techniques
Laser Hair Removal - Face
Treatment of Hair Diseases
Facial Hair Transplant
Stem Cell Therapy
Hair Bonding Procedure
Hair Replacement Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Ruchi ShrivastavaYour feedback matters!
Hair today, gone tomorrow. That might be your condition if you are not taking care of your hair properly. There are a lot of things you do almost daily that are adversely impacting your hair health. You might not even be aware of the damage you are doing to your tresses by indulging these activities:
- Poor hair habits - Your hair becomes weak and fragile when it is damaged. Poor hair care habits can lead to breakage of hair such as excessive heat styling, chemical hair coloring, and bleaching. These add a lot of stress to hair, weakens your hair's elasticity and lead to breakage, thinning of hair and severe hair damage.
- Shorter hair growth cycle - The hair growth cycle is constantly in rotation and your hair is never in the same phase of the cycle. There is a phase of hair growth cycle when the hair becomes dormant until the cycle repeats. This resting phase of hair growth cycle may last much longer sometimes.
- Dry and brittle hair - It's possible for your natural hair to break off as quickly as it grows, appearing as if your hair is no longer growing. Moisturizing your natural hair is important because of its inability to produce a natural oil that covers the entire scalp. Co-washing the hair or using hot oil treatments, sulfate-free shampoos and adopting healthy hair regimens can keep your natural hair moisturized and prevent it from breaking.
- Poor diet - Your hair needs proper vitamins, minerals and nutrients in order to thrive and eating foods rich in nutritional value like fish, nuts, green leafy vegetables will help your hair grow healthier. You can also add multivitamins to your diet containing vitamin a and zinc which functions to strengthen hair, nourish hair follicles, promote healthy scalp and minimize shedding.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Getting a hair transplant is a matter of getting yourself a new weave from the hair follicles harvested from an area of your own body where the hair growth is better. This is a simple surgical procedure where the number of sittings and the intensity of the sessions will depend entirely on the cause for hair loss as well as the response to the treatment. This procedure can be used to restore the lost hair in many areas including the scalp, the eyebrows, the eyelashes and more. While the procedure may be a simple one, it may cause certain side effects for certain people. Let us learn more about the same.
- Few Side Effects: This surgical process may not lead to those many side effects for the simple fact that the donor and the recipient are the same. When the hair comes from the same body, there is little chance of the immune system mistaking it for a foreign body. This will lead to fewer side effects.
- Pain: Pain in the area where the grafting has happened may be one of the side effects which may happen primarily due to the fact that the procedure may lead to some amount of abrasion which can cause inflammation and pain.
- Bleeding: There are chances of going through bleeding after the procedure, but this too is usually a rare and extreme side effect. This may point at the presence of an infection. Bleeding does not usually happen after such a procedure because coagulation holds the new follicles in place and ensures that there is no bleeding or infection.
- Scarring: While itching and scarring may be more common side effects of this kind of procedure, this usually lasts as long as the swelling does. This will take a week or two to clear up. The scarring may happen when the hairline begins to redefine itself. And in some cases, the hairline may look unnatural due to the scarring. The hair growing at the back of the head may also look strange due to this reason.
- Grading: In order to avoid the problem of scarring and a strange looking hairline, the doctors now use a procedure called grading with which the thicker hair grows towards the back and the thinner hair remains in front. If this is done in a proper fashion, one cannot even make out that surgery has taken place on the scalp.
- Upkeep: While the Follicle Unit Extraction method ensures that the scarring does not take place to that degree where it becomes too obvious, one must realise that upkeep will be required so as to prevent further hair loss even in the areas surrounding the transplant.
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure where hair is surgically implanted on the head. You can opt for this procedure, if you suffer from hair loss and bald spots on your head. The surgery comprises of shifting hair follicles from one part of the head to another. Mostly, hair follicles from back of the head are relocated to the balding areas.
The reasons when you can opt for a hair transplant are
- Involutional alopecia: It is a form of alopecia where the hair growth tends to decrease due to ageing resulting in thinning and shorter hair. The follicles remain in the telogen phase (resting phase) for an extended amount of time. You may opt for a hair transplant surgery to correct this disorder.
- Male pattern baldness (Androgenic alopecia): Androgenic alopecia is a condition which is characterized by a gradual receding hairline, especially along the temples. This is caused due to the testosterone hormone being converted in to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which causes shrinking of the hair follicles. If you are affected by male pattern baldness, then you may opt for a hair transplant surgery.
- Female pattern baldness: Females may also be affected by baldness which is characterized by loss of hair from the top of the head and gradual thinning of hair. It may lead to self-esteem issues; so opting for a hair transplant surgery is recommended.
- Traction alopecia: This type of hair loss occurs due to exertion of external pressure on the hair which may cause it to fall. If the hair does not grow back then it would result in a bald patch. Thus you may opt for a hair transplant procedure if you suffer from this disorder and experience loss of hair.
- Trichotillomania: This is a psychological condition where a person pulls out his/her hair. If excessive hair is lost resulting in bald spots, then you may opt for hair transplant surgery.
Results and permanence are the only ways to differentiate between hair transplant and all other types of hair restoration solutions. The best part of getting a hair transplant done is that it feels and looks so natural that most will not be able to figure out whether you got the procedure done. This is possible due to the advancements made in medical technology in the recent times.
There are mainly two different ways to extract and transplant numerous hair follicles i.e. follicle units. Presently there are only two main techniques for hair transplantation, which differ from each other only in one aspect which is the way the cosmetic surgeon extracts the hair follicles from the scalp of the donor. The two methods are FUE i.e. Follicular Unit Extraction and FUT i.e. Follicular Unit Transplantation.
1. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
No scalp tissue will be removed if you choose Follicular Unit Extraction method since every follicular unit is taken directly and individually from the scalp. The physician removes the hair follicles randomly, which results in less density; which most people maintain is not even noticeable. However, since the hair follicles are removed individually, the number of follicles which can be harvested in a session is very less compared to the FUT method. It is considered the best method for hair restoration in minor cases i.e. if the person does not suffer from advanced hair loss. This method boasts of a faster healing time and less discomfort.
2. Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
If you opt for the Follicular Unit Transplantation method of hair transplant, the surgeon will remove a small strip of tissue, in order to extract the hair follicles present, from the back of your head. A skilled clinical team will then harvest the hair follicles from the strip and transplant them to the recipient areas individually. If you have advanced hair loss, you should opt for this method instead of FUE because the physician can deliver the best results and guarantee you satisfaction utilizing the entire scalp area. You may also choose Follicular Unit Transplantation since it ensures most number of grafts which can be transplanted in a single session. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The way you look affects the way you feel. A lack of security about one's appearance can hamper his or her overall confidence. Being overly concerned about one's physical appearance does not always result from vanity. It could be the plain and simple desire of being acceptable to oneself. Hair plays an important role in the process. Premature hair thinning, receding hairline, increased hair fall and other problems related to your scalp is directly proportional to your psychological health. Therefore, a little knowledge about alternative ways to accelerate hair growth can prove to be significant in dire times of need.
What are Hair Plugs?
Hair plugs are no more the best deal for hair regeneration in present times. This practice was mostly prevalent in the 1950s when other effective ways of hair transplant weren't heard of. In this process, strands of hair were removed from the back of your scalp, which had more hair in comparison to the centre of the scalp, only to be implanted in the balding area. Circular slits were made in the balding area to extract tissues and enable successful implantation. Once, hair transplant was conducted, you were left with injuries. These injuries would heal with due time or they would be stitched up by your doctor.
Hair Transplants- an overview
Hair transplant can be understood as an umbrella term for multiple procedures used to enhance hair growth. The most widely applied method is known as Magnified Follicular Unit Micrografting. A surgeon is required to transplant hair from the 'donor site' to the 'recipient site'. Hair follicles can be taken from any part of your body to be implanted on to your scalp. While transplanting, the surgeon carries a graft from one part of the body to another; a graft consists of the hair follicle, bulb and surrounding tissues.
Why are hair transplants preferred to hair plugs?
1. Hair plugs can make you look artificial. The hair implanted in the balding area resembles doll hair. Transplanted hair can be strictly made from natural hair making you look weird. In certain cases thus, hair plugs can also intensify your problem. On the other hand, hair transplants gift you with natural looking hair.
2. Hair plugs leave you with bigger and deeper scars. Even after these injuries heal, the donor site remains patchy with white spots on it. This is mainly because hair plugs involve removal of a lot of surrounding tissues. Hair transplants will relieve you from these long- lasting and painful wounds. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Confidence and a better sense of self image can be born with a number of measures to prevent and repair the various factors that make one feel less than confident. Our face and hair are one of the major areas that make us feel confident and balding is a big cause that can leave people feeling shy of facing the world. A hair transplant procedure may seem like a simple one, but it comes with many implications as far as maintenance in the long run goes. Besides certain side effects, one will also have to indulge in proper habits for the upkeep of the transplant so that balding does not set in again. An itchy scalp may be a common occurrence after going through this surgery. Read on to know more about this.
- Causes of Postoperative Itchiness: The scalp may undergo postoperative itchiness after the grafting process has been put into place because the scalp is still getting used to the new skin and the tingling sensation that will invariably be caused by the hair that is now busy growing from previously bald quarters. This itchy feeling can also come from the dryness that may be caused by the shampoo that one uses. Also, shampooing in general can cause dryness of these new grafts, which leads to an itching sensation. Further, the topical ointments that may have been prescribed can lead to an allergic reaction, which can also cause severe itching. Further, in extreme or drastic cases, the scalp may fall prey to infection and in such cases, itching is one of the first reactions or symptoms of the same. Finally, if you have been suffering from a skin condition, this can also lead to itching.
- How to Deal with Itching: When you suffer from an itching scalp as a side effect after such a surgery, it is best to avoid scratching the surface as this may lead to bleeding and subsequent infection in the area. Ask your dermatologist for a change in the topical ointments so that you can avoid feeling the need to scratch and ensure that you also use a cold compress to keep the area suitably moist and also to soothe the excess itching sensation you may be feeling. You may damage the healing tissues by scratching within the first month after the surgery, so you must also ensure that your nails are cut.
- Other Side Effects: Itching and scratching can give rise to other side effects after a hair transplant procedure. These include a pimple breakout, bruising due to constant abrasion, and mild swelling which can also lead to further itching. These typically go away with the itching in due time.