Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Relwani
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. RelwaniYour feedback matters!
My wife has missed period for about 5 days and she has tested positive with a pregnancy kit. What should she do next. Whether to consult with doctor or not or wait for some times.
Good morning, I’m Dr Nidhi Agarwal, I am a consultant gynaecologist, based in Gurgaon. Now today I’ll speak on Polycystic Ovarian Disease that is PCOD which is very common in women in recent years.
PCOD actually occurs in young women. They usually present to us with irregularity with their periods. The ovaries in PCOD patients actually become bigger and denser. As the name suggests, ‘poly’ means many that is many cysts are formed in the ovaries. This lady usually presents with a disruption in the normal menstrual cycle.
Now, what happens in a normal lady who menstruates every month?
There is one egg which is selected by nature which increases in size, and when it becomes bigger and appropriate in size, it is ruptured in the ovary which is then taken up by the Fallopian tube. And if it doesn’t meet the sperm and pregnancy doesn’t occur, then the lady menstruates. This should happen monthly up to 35 days. In PCOD patients, this natural selection of the egg every month doesn’t occur. Instead, many small cysts are formed in the ovaries. So that is why there are many cysts formed in the ovaries, and then the patient does not have normal periods. That is why we say it a Polycystic Ovarian Disease.
Now how does a patient of PCOD present to us?
A patient of PCOD, if she is a young girl in her teens or in the early twenties, she usually comes to us saying that she is not having her monthly periods. She menstruates at one and a half months, two months, two and a half months, and when she menstruates, she usually has excessive bleeding with clots. If a lady is in her late twenties and has got married, and she is not able to conceive, then also the patient presents with the problem in conceiving. Also, there is usually an excess of hormones produced by the ovaries, that is an excess of estrogen as well as androgen which is the male hormones. The lady usually presents with male like pattern of hair growth that is hair growth on her chin on her face, around the nipples of her breasts, in her lower abdomen, especially over her thighs and she says that along with excessive hair growth, she has developed excessive acne and things also appear all over her scalp. These are basically because of an excess of androgens, which are the male hormones. This change in the hormonal value occurs because of Polycystic Ovarian Disease. Also, very often, patients come to us saying that she is gaining weight excessively. A patient comes and says that in the last 5 months, I have gained 10 kgs of weight. So patients usually present to us with symptoms of insulin resistance, in which there is overweight. Now, PCOD has actually become very common and patients who are as small as 11-12 years of age come to me, young girls presenting with PCOD. And the incidence is very very very high; 1 out of 10 women are now having PCOD.
How do tackle this PCOD?
See, there are three criteria which are very important. As I have told you, first is a presentation, that the lady is not ovulating, that is the egg which is formed every month is not released. Instead, multiple eggs multiple cysts form which we call in their ovaries. So, if the ultrasound shows that they are polycystic ovaries if the patient presents to us with less ovulation, or anovulation which we say which occurs when the patient is not having her regular periods, or there are signs of excess androgen that is male hormone with features of hirsutism. Then, out of these three, if two criteria are there in the lady someone is having PCOD.
Very often patients ask me, ‘Why do we, why am I suffering from PCOD?’ So if you ask me, there is no one particular cause which I can see, that this is the reason you have got. There are so many factors, it could be just genetic- your mother or sister has been suffering from PCOD, then your chances of having PCOD are always higher. There could just be low-grade information in her ovaries, which has disturbed the ovaries to an extent that it is releasing more of male hormones, making them bigger in size and that is causing the ovaries not to ovulate. Or it could just be because of obesity and high insulin levels. Again, because of high insulin in the body, it puts stress on the ovaries and they don’t ovulate.
So there are so many causes, you have to investigate the patient, there are a lot of investigations that have to be done and we can come to a diagnosis, it is possible. So, I’ll just conclude by saying that PCOD is very very common nowadays.
If you are having problems with your menstrual cycle, if you are gaining weight abnormally, if you have excessive hair growth anywhere which is not expected in females, face acne or hair loss, please do see us, see your local gynecologist, so if there is any problem, it can be sorted out in time. I’m Dr Nidhi as I already told you, I am based in Gurgaon, and you can contact me for any queries for PCOD or its treatment at LivWell clinic which is at Galleria Market and also you can contact me through Lybrate.
It is not easy to deal with labor pains. According to scientists and doctors, labor pain is a very strong sensation that a woman experiences in her lifetime. Therefore, it is important to know some tips that will help you deal with the intense pain during labor. There are some practical tools, which will help you survive labor pains on both emotional and physical levels.
You just need to implement these tools during your labor.
- Focus on the current contraction: When you get a contraction, focus on it solely. Do not agonize on the contractions you had or do not feel scared thinking about the contractions that are yet to come. You just need to focus on the present contraction without thinking about anything else. Many women think about how long they have to push before they can meet the baby. The over thinking can worsen the pain. Therefore, you should be in the present moment.
- Breathe: A great tip of resisting labor pains is breathing. Various kinds of breathing techniques have been invented for labor. You can try some of those breathing techniques during your labor. If you don’t remember any particular breathing technique, you can also try everyday breathing during the contractions. Breathing lets your abdominal muscles relax and helps the baby descend faster.
- Try to relax: Whenever you encounter pain or stress, you tense all the muscles of your body, especially your abdominal muscles. It is important to relax during your labor pain. Although it is difficult, you should try to relax instead of getting tensed. It will make your labor smooth.
- Be in a comfortable place: You should be in a place where your labor must be comfortable for you. If you are not comfortable, you will be stressed and anxious, which in turn, will make it difficult for you. When you are in a comfortable place, you will be happier and your muscles will be more relaxed.
- Don’t worry: Instead of worrying about your entire labor experience, focus on the task at hand. When you don’t worry, you can process the contractions without being stressed. As a result, your body will also get less tired and your baby will come out faster. You need to channel your energy into pushing the baby rather than worrying and stressing.
If you follow these simple tips, you will be able to survive labor pains and give birth to a healthy baby. Nature has given women all the tools so that they can give birth to a baby naturally. You just need to trust your body and empower yourself by keeping these tips in your mind. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Am 33 aged -suffering problem of over weight-inspite of my planned diet-there is no result-i dont have thyroid but taking treatment for PCOS but under control as per latest reports-plz suggesting the way to over come my problem
Heart attack or myocardial infarction mostly occurs when the flow of blood to the heart is blocked due to one or more reasons. The most prominent reason could be high fat or cholesterol that results in plaque build up in the coronary artery. The restricted blood flow has the potential to damage or even destroy the heart muscle. Some of the symptoms that can be helpful when it comes to the identification of a heart attack are listed below.
1. Discomfort in the Chest - Your chest may feel tight and pressured when you are about to be hit by a heart attack. Pain or discomfort in the chest is usually central typically felt behind the sternum, the central bone of chest. It may not be pain, it may be only discomfort, it may only be in upper part of tummy, very commonly confused with a gas problem. It is often accompanied by a painful sensation in the chest or arms. If a chest pain lasts more than 15-20 min it can be assumed to be a heart attack. This aching sensation may even spread to your back, neck or jaw.
2. Feeling of inconvenience - Often before the heart attack, the person may have feelings of nausea, ingestion, abdominal pain or a heartburn.
3. Breathing problems - Another prominent symptom of heart attack is shortness of breath which is accompanied by cold sweat and fatigue.
If you think you are getting a heart attack, you should immediately take one tablet of Aspirin, 4 tablets of a drug called Clopidogrel, and one tablet of Atorvastatin 80 mg and rush to the nearest possible medical facility as time is very important in the treatment of an acute heart attack.
Related Tip: Heart Attack - Is the Damage Reversible?