Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rashmi Lohiya
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Liver Problems Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Rashmi LohiyaYour feedback matters!
Within the human body, there are certain parts, which are more prone to stress and friction than others. All joints are susceptible to this, but even within the joints, the knees are even more of a stress point.
The skin on the knees, as well as the bones, the joint and the cartilage, are highly susceptible to wear and tear. Due to frequent rubbing and friction, the skin can be put under much stress and thus, may cause skin conditions as well.
One of the most common skin conditions that many face is the hardening and darkening of the knees.
This may happen due to,
- Continuous friction from clothing
- Playing sports out in the sun where the knees may be exposed
- Excessive keratin on the skin on the knees
- Resting on the knees for long periods of time
- Other physiological conditions that may result in skin pigmentation
There are some quick remedies that can be used to rectify or at least lessen the dark patches on the knees.
- Cleansing or exfoliating - Dead skin cells may build up in layers and cause the darkening of the knees and, thus, it is important to regularly exfoliate or scrub with a gentle soap. In mild cases, this alone can take care of the problems of dark knees.
- Using lemon juice - Applying lemon juice 2 times daily for a few days regularly will reduce the dark areas and lighten the skin.
- Moisturizing the skin - Applying a moisturizer regularly on the skin will keep it hydrated and also help in reducing dead skin cells piling up. This will prevent and also lessen the darkening of the skin on the knees.
However, home remedies or treatments may not be the solution in all cases as there may be underlying physical causes, which need to be treated at a deeper level. In such cases, it is prudent to seek dermatological treatment.
Related Tip: 5 Acts That Can Rid You of Dark Circles
I have white spots visible on my forehead. What should I do? And please tell me the reasons also. I referred a doctor in past for the same he Gave me a cream to apply and the results were good but now I forgot the name and this appeared again. Please help me.
I am losing my hair daily. So sir please tell me what measures can I take for controlling hair loss.
Yauvan pidika or acne vulgaris is an inflammatory skin disorder which is prevalent in both males and females. When the sebaceous glands present on skin produce excessive sebum, the hair follicles present on skin get clogged leading to the formation of acne. According to ayurveda, kapha, pitta & rakta and meda or fat dhathu are responsible for producing acne.
Ayurvedic treatment aims to eliminate the problem from its root. Herbs like Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) and Kushta (Saussurea lappa) are known for their properties to reduce acne. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) and Chandana (Santalum album) are also effective in treating acne. The application of Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans) and Khas-Khas (Vetiveria zizanioides) is believed to provide satisfactory results. Neem (Azadirachta indica), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) are known for their blood purifying properties, which can lessen the occurrence of acne and pimple in the long run.
The following are some of the ayurvedic remedies for treating acne:
- To reduce the growth of pimple, rub powder of jamun (Syzygium cumini) seed and apply it on the pimple.
- The peel of orange has medicinal properties that can be used effectively in the treatment of pimple. Make a paste of orange peel powder and rose water; apply it on your face on a regular basis. It is an effective remedy that cures acne and improves the skin tone.
- To achieve an immediate result, apply a paste of lodhra (symplocos crateigodies), vach (acorus calamus) and dhania (coriander). Improvement will be noticed within 7 days.
- A paste of red chandan (red sandalwood) and jaiphal (nutmeg) are also effective in reducing the appearance of acne and pimples.
- Apply a paste of masoor dal (red lentils) with milk, ghee and camphor on your face. It reduces the appearance of acne and clears the scars which are left behind.
- Prepare a paste of lemon, kalaunji (seeds of fennel flower) and milk. Apply it on your face on a regular basis before going to bed. Wash your face with lukewarm water in the morning. This remedy ensures speedy disappearance of acne.
- Make a mixture of nimbu (lemon), extracts of tulsi (basil) and black kasundi (coffee pods), dry it in sun and apply the mixture on face. It is a powerful remedy that is known to cure the problem of acne.
Besides these home remedies, a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle will also enable you to reduce the risk of recurrent acne.