Lybrate.com has top trusted ENT Specialists from across India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. RajivYour feedback matters!
I have sinus problem since last year. I feel disturbed in cold. Nose starts bleeding in cold. Please suggest me what should I do?
The tonsils are soft tissue masses which are located at the back of your throat, usually at the pharynx. The tonsils are masses which are part of the lymphatic system that helps fight infections. However, tonsils can themselves become inflamed and cause a lot of pain. Tonsillectomy is a procedure to remove the tonsils and relieve pain.
Why is tonsillectomy performed?
A few decades back, tonsillectomy was a routine surgery performed to relieve any pain within the tonsils. This method of treatment however has changed over the past few decades as pain medications for inflammation have improved vastly. However, tonsillitis is still performed in many cases wherein it tends to cause acute problems. Some of the cases it is applicable in are:
- Chronic bad breath problems caused by recurrent inflammation of the tonsils
- Recurrent sore throats caused by tonsillitis
- It is also done along with dental surgery for correcting teeth with imperfect positioning
- Abscess formation in the mouth
- Upper airway being obstructed due to inflammation, thus causing difficulty with sleeping, snoring, or causing sleep apnea (irregular breathing during sleep)
- Ear infections being regularly caused by inflammation of the tonsils
Other reasons why it may be recommended
Tonsillectomy may be also be recommended when there are no indications of problems but tonsillitis and other infections keep cropping up too regularly. This affects children and can make them sick or keep them in pain regularly. Some of these other indications are mentioned below:
- Tonsil infections and inflammations happening too frequently within a year
- Tonsillitis is caused by bacterial infection wherein the antibiotics aren’t effective
- Formation of pus in the form of an abscess within or around the tonsils which keep forming even after repeated drainage or administering antibiotics
Possible complications and risks
Like any other form of surgery, tonsillectomy has certain risks associated with it as well. However, these are very rare. Some of these risks and complications are mentioned as follows –
- Swelling of the mouth: The tongue and the soft palate or the roof of the mouth may swell, resulting in breathing difficulties an few hours after the surgery.
- Infection: As is the case with any surgery, infections may occur in rare cases, which may require further treatment.
- Adverse reactions to anesthetics: Many patients exhibit an adverse reaction to anesthetics and may develop symptoms such as a headache, nausea, muscle soreness and frequent vomiting.
- Bleeding during surgery or healing: Although it is rare, bleeding during and after surgery has been reported after all sorts of procedures and it may occur with tonsillectomy as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ENT specialist.
My wife is feeling weak and often dizzy since last month. We saw a general physician who said it was just low bp. But more often than not, I think its a symptom of a bigger problem. What should we do?
I am 26 years old. I feel like something is blocking my ears, heaviness in back of my head. No pain. Getting relief after steaming.
My friends body temperature gets up and down she had pain in her throat continuously can she do the thyroid test.
Why i have vertigo feelings all the time. Mostly. When i am going somewhere. What is the problem and main reason of this vertigo?
I have ringing Bell in ear I went for ear check up that was normal is there any problem then tell me about it and after that headache occur tell me about it.
Sir ,I was smoking from past 3 months but I had stop it from last 1 month. But I have pain in left and right side of tonsils and their is two little white spot on both side of tonsils, Is it normal or anything serious.
I am male of 67 years old. I have been diagnosed nasal polyps. I often get post nasal dripping. What is the remedy ?
Nose bleeding happens because of the presence of large amount of blood vessels in the nose.
Most common reasons for nose bleeding are nose picking, trauma, low levels of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, colds and allergies and nose lining getting dry along with so many other reasons.
Above 40 years of age bleeding nose is to be taken with suspicion.
But there are ways with the help of which it can be prevented and stopped.
Let’s first learn how it can be instantly stopped.
- Sit comfortably: When your nose starts bleeding, you should sit in a comfortable position. Do not stand or lie down because in these positions, blood may pass on to your throat which could be harmful. Tilt your face forward and let a piece of cloth soak in all the blood.
- Hold the nose: During nose bleeding, one should hold and pinch the nose for at least 10 minutes continuously. If it still doesn’t stop then hold it for 5-7 minutes more. Holding or pinching the nose stops bleeding by direct pressure on the nose.
- Apply ice: This can be a great way of instantly stopping nose bleeding. Ice usually shrinks and tightens the blood vessels because of which bleeding stops. Ice should preferably be applied on cheeks and root of nose.
- No anxiety: Bleeding is a safety valve, specially, in hypertensive patients. If nose doesn't bleed than brain would bleed. It's better nose to bleed than brain.
Nose bleeding can be prevented by taking the following measures:
- Elevate the head end while resting.
- Do not blow or scratch nose forcefully.
- Keep blood pressure in control.
- Avoid smoking because it delays the healing process.
- Make sure the room you sleep in isn’t dry. Keep a check on the humidity of the room, especially, in winter electric heaters dry up air. Keep a mug of water in room.
- Need to take special care in winters because the nose lining gets dry mostly. Apply Vaseline or oil or Ghee.
- Drink plenty of water and citrus food like oranges, lemon, sweet lime, Indian gooseberry to keep your nose moist and strengthen blood vessels.
- Do not overuse cold and allergy medicines.