Lybrate.com has top trusted Audiologists from across India. You will find Audiologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Rajesh Nikam
Submit a review for Mr. Rajesh NikamYour feedback matters!
Hi I have cholesterol. Tremor in hand, gas, eye irritation, can not look in bright light, sound in ear.
Sitr, I can not hear perfectly in class room from about 5 ft distance. So how can I recover from it.
Hearing loss is a common sensory problem that generally develops with increasing age or due to prolonged or persistent exposure to loud noises. It is one of the most typical problems that occurs throughout the world. If you are suffering from partial hearing loss, you may find ways of keeping in touch with your family and friends. If you are not suffering from such the following may help you keep your hearing intact for years to come.
Types of hearing loss:
There are two main types of hearing loss:
1. Conductive Hearing Loss where the problem lies in the middle ear, eardrum or ossicles. A conductive hearing loss affects the passage of sound between the eardrum and the inner ear. Sound passes down the ear canal to the ear drum and through the middle ear, where the sound is transmitted across the middle ear by the three bones called the ossicles to the inner ear.
Causes of conductive hearing loss:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infection (otitis media - an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
2. Sensorineural Hearing Loss where there is damage in the inner ear, cochlea or hearing nerve. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) occurs when there is damage to the inner ear (cochlea), or to the nerve pathways from the inner ear to the brain. Most of the time, SNHL cannot be medically or surgically corrected. This is the most common type of permanent hearing loss.
Causes of sensorineural hearing loss:
- Exposure to loud noise
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Hearing loss that runs in the family
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere's Disease
Coping with Hearing Loss:
Antibiotics and eardrops are often prescribed to treat hearing loss and its symptoms. In many cases, people suffering from severe hearing loss use hearing aids. Hearing aids are tiny instruments that people use in their ears to make sounds louder. People who suffer from hearing loss cope with their problems through increased concentration and focus. The usual way involves reading the moving lips of the person while they talk. Prevention is better than cure and is the best solution to avoid long term hearing loss. Avoiding continuous loud noises, to the possible extent helps prevent hearing loss to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
My father is 60 year old, and from last 15 days he is feeling like detour while waking up in morning. Checked hemoglobin and BP too, both are normal. What is the reason? He is having hearing problem form last some months. Had consult with doctor also, and in that audiometry test they found 40% problem is there.
I am suffering from hearing loss from my right ear. Hearing gradually reduced over a period of ten years. Presently my age is 55 years and my left ear was undergone surgery for the same problem in the year : 1982 (33 years ago). Surgery success and hearing developed a lot. But subsequently, my left ear was also reduced the hearing. Presently, using hearing aid for left ear. Right ear is totally hearing loss now. Please suggest me - whether I can undergo any surgery for my right ear.
My son is 11 years old and he suffering from Bil Progressive hearing loss of both ears. Performed complete hearing loss (Rt) and Moderate hearing loss of (lt) ear, and causes of the dis-ear Could not be Evaluated.
I am ameen Uddin. I am 20 years old I am suffering from backpain since last 3 months. I have so much problems due to it. I hear about you so I am messaging you So please tell me that what can I do now.
I am suffering from tinnitus, the cause of tinnitus is high level of noise. I am engineer, so at my company there is hammering on metal plate and once I was standing near to it. From that day my ear can not listen properly, and also 24 hours continuous noise hearing even I am in silence. Please help me to cure tinnitus.
Your hearing is one of the most important functions your body carries out and sometimes you realize that you are losing your sense of hearing when it is too late to get it back. There are two main reasons for this. One of the reasons is age, as the inner ear's hair cells break down and do not pick up sound well. Here are 7 ways to safeguard your hearing:
- Try to avoid loud places: It is not advisable to go to places where you have to shout to be heard such as in a street, a concert or a construction site.
- Buy low noise rating equipment: The equipments in your house will make sounds that you hear the most. Try to avoid these equipments by buying appliances with a low noise rating.
- Wear hearing protection at loud places: However, it is true that it is not always possible to avoid loud noises. This is when you need to get hearing protection. Earplugs and earmuffs are two of the best ways to make sure that even when you are in a loud place, your hearing does not get affected. Earplugs and earmuffs generally reduce sound by 15 to 30 decibels which may be crucial to make sure that later in your life, you do not lose your hearing.
- Avoid smoke: Smoking raises your chances of hearing loss. Second hand smoke does the same thing. Therefore, try to stop smoking if you are a smoker, and try to stop consuming second hand smoke if you are not a smoker.
- Remove earwax properly: Earwax cannot be removed properly using a cotton bud. Remember this as otherwise; the earwax could muffle your hearing. Patient should go to doctor to get it cleaned. Mobile phone use should be restricted.
- Avoid medications which reduce hearing: Certain medications increase hearing loss. Therefore, double check with your doctor to make sure your medicines will not make you lose your hearing.
- Get your hearing tested: Finally, get your hearing tested as identifying the problem early on can help stop worsen the situation. Doctor can also prescribe some nerve vitamins to minimise damage to hearing.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!