Lybrate.com has top trusted Dermatologists from across India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Derma Roller Treatment
Hair Mesotherapy Treatment
Nail Surgery Procedures
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Facial Rejuvenation Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Mole Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Skin Polishing Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Pushkar BaviskarYour feedback matters!
Please tell me how to get clean & clear skin. my skin is too much oily and sensitive I can't use any face product.
I sometimes have headache, when I don't oil my hairs and if use oil, pimples start coming and my skin is also very oily. Please do provide me a solution for it.
Hi, I am a 23 year old IT professional suffering from itchy and dry scalp with hair loss. I am also interested in hair transplant. Please advice.
I am losing my hairs everyday and used every shampoos but their is no benefit of it. Can you please suggest me that how to solve this problem?
I am 18 years old I have many withe hair. This is a big problem for me. What should I do to get rid of this problem?
Hello. I am suffering from sun tan and damage of skin. How much time it will take to recover my skin and regeneration.
I am 23 years old, I am suffering from the problem of dark circle under my eyes and black marks on my face, please suggest me some home remedies or any lotion to overcome this problem?
I have a small white spot on my chest and in summer session it's itching I use so many tubes but can't get a good experience from they.
Sir I am observing severe hairfall from last few months and I am very tensed right now. I tried many branded oils but nothing is preventing my hair fall. What needs to be done to stop hairfall please suggest me.
Black pimple in my face and almost from 12 month, aur avitak thik nhi hua hai iske liye something tips.
Every woman likes to look into the mirror and find not an extra strand of hair on her face, be it the upper lip or near the ears. While it is not uncommon for women to have hair on these and other areas, most women resort to multiple ways to get rid of this. The pattern of this unnecessary hair growth is very similar to the pattern seen in males normally.
This condition of excessive hair growth is known as hirsutism and can be caused by multiple causes, as listed below.
- Genetic or racial: While the European women have a more clean face that is free of hair, the Mediterranean and Indian women are highly likely to have more facial hair growth. There is also a strong family history relation, and it is hereditary.
- Androgens (testosterone): This is a male hormone, essential for the development of male sexual characters. Though it is present in very minute amounts in all women, in some, there could be higher than these minimal levels, leading to minor masculine characters, facial hair being one of them.
- Hormonal imbalances: There are multiple hormonal issues which can manifest as increased facial hair growth. The two most common ones include polycystic ovarian syndrome ((PCOS)) and adrenal conditions including tumours, Cushing's syndrome, and hyperplasia. In all these cases, there is increased amount of androgens, leading to excessive facial hair.
- Medication side effect: Some medications like testosterone, cyclosporine, anabolic steroids, and Minoxidil also lead to increased amounts of facial hair in women. Some other medications used to treat migraines, seizures, schizophrenia, and hypertension can also cause hirsutism. This is indirectly due to increased levels of male hormones in the system, producing these effects.
- Birth control pills: These also affect the hormone levels and lead to increased facial hair.
- Obesity: Most women with facial hair are also on the heavier side, and most people have a reduction in hair once weight is managed.
Treatment: The underlying cause should be treated for controlling hair growth. If there is an inducing medication, an alternative should be looked at. While hormone levels can be altered, in most cases, not much can be done. These need to be dealt with using one of the following methods - depilatory creams, waxing, plucking, shaving, laser reduction, electrolysis, and weight loss.
When reading through the above, it is obvious that a lot of causes for hirsutism point towards hormones. This also helps identify hormonal abnormalities in the earlier stages. This helps to identify hormonal disorders in their earlier stages, which are managed with lesser complications. The next time you feel there is more hair on your chin or cheeks, get your hormone levels checked. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an endocrinologist.