Lybrate.com has top trusted Pediatricians from across India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Prachi DeshpandeYour feedback matters!
My son is 7 years old and studying in 2nd class his problem is while studying he can not make the words correctly and speak and write the letters of words differently. Consulted a doctor last year he says he is hyper active child but this is affecting his studies and now a days he doesnt do his work properly. Please help.
My baby boy is 3 month old and he is always trying to chew something due to this he is feeling uncomfortable and crying. Please suggest me what I need to do. Thanks in advance.
It's regarding my baby when we feed her. Breast feeding after few minutes she is vomiting giving it back. Some time same milk or some time turns into curd type. What is the precautions we have to do. She is now 2 + please feed back.
My baby is 2 month 9 days n has not passed stool since 2 days. He is on breast feed but I need to give diluted cows milk once in day that to 60 ml only. He is not taking formula feed. Is it ok or any problem is there. He is passing gas.
My baby is about 15 months last one and two weeks. Night sleeping time he is coughing and vomiting .Is there any reason. He is taking roti with cow milk in night. Is because of cow milk he is vomiting. Please suggest. Thanks .
From terrorism to natural disasters, there are a number of traumatic events that constantly hurl themselves at us. Given the amount of stress it causes an adult, imagine how a child can process this information. Often traumatic events that occur in childhood can trigger phobias and anxiety disorders that last a lifetime if not dealt correctly.
Each child responds to trauma in a different way depending on the circumstances and their age and personality. What is common is that all children turn towards their parents and teachers for support in these situations. Hence, it is important to understand how to help your child deal with traumatic events.
Here are a few steps you should follow:
- Provide comfort: The first thing to do in a traumatic event is to reassure and comfort the child. Reinforce your child's sense of security by following a normal schedule and maintaining regular eating and sleeping habits. Encourage your child to talk and ask questions and discuss the situation with them in a way appropriate to your child's age and concerns.
- Accept their needs: Children show the need for reassurance in different ways. For some, it may be the need for extra physical contact in the form of hugs while for others it may be ensuring that their favourite teddy bear is with them constantly. Be patient with children and indulge their needs in such situations.
- Limit the amount of information available: Media often magnifies a traumatic event making it all the more difficult for a child to apprehend. Children can often be mislead or frustrated by media coverage of a traumatic event. Thus, it is a good idea to limit the use of television, radios and internet. As far as possible do not let your child watch the news alone.
- Stay in touch: If your child goes to school, his or her teacher is the parent figure at school. Stay connected with your child's teachers and the other adults in their life to monitor changes in behavioral patterns.
- Create distractions: If left alone with nothing to do, a child's mind will dwell on the trauma. Encourage them to find a hobby to cope with the negative emotions. Music and art are two good outlets for stress. You could also play board games, read or play outdoors to distract them.
- Get professional help: Sometimes you may need help to deal with a traumatic event in your child's life. If your child shows signs of behavioral changes, academic problems, emotional outbursts, anxiety, depression, insomnia or social withdrawal; you should consult a professional counselor.
HOMOEOPATHY FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN
Homoeopathy is ideal for babies and children as it is a gentle yet highly effective system of medicine. Homeopathic remedies taste good and children like them the highly diluted natural substances that from homeopathic remedies mean that they are safe to use in the very young, including newborn babies.
More than that, homoeopathy can raise the immunity of your children to help deal with illness throughout their childhood. Homeopathy not only helps when your child is ill. It can also help prevent illness and give support through difficult periods of their life. Homeopathy works fast with children because they are usually full of vitality. Acute conditions such as ear infections, tonsillitis and flu, can be resolved rapidly using the right remedies, often avoiding the need for conventional medicines. Babies also tend to respond quickly to homeopathic treatment. On a more serious note, there are children with serious behavior problems! Yes, homeopathy works for these too!
Kids today face more responsibility, uncertainty, pressure, and other ”grown-up” issues than any generation in the past. If your child or teenager is experiencing stress, the primary goal is to resolve the source of anxiety. Unfortunately, this isn’t always possible—at least immediately. In some cases, it may not even be in the best interest of the child. Since stress has gotten such a bad rap, sometimes it’s easy to forget that, some stress is positive—it challenges us to grow. An example of positive stress is the challenge of participating in sports or learning a musical instrument.
Homeopathic alternatives treat the whole child. Today there are many pediatricians preffering homoeopathic treatment for their children and patients in various pediatric conditions.
Reasons why homoeopathy should be adopted for children:-
- Safe medicine: homoeopathic medicines are free from harmfull effects and 100% non toxic.
- Homoeopathy: effective and quick treatment-children being more sensitive, respond quicker to homoeopathy.
- Homoeopathy: scientific and Natural medicine- Homoeopathy can be scientifically checked and positive .
I have a daughter one year she suffered from diarrhae how to escape children with diarrhae Loose motion.
My child, 3 years has got pediatric nephrotic syndrome. How to avoid relapse for this syndrome. I read in one article there is substantial reduction in relapse with usage of zinc supplement along with the steroid. Will that help?
My son was given the first dose of rotasure. But the second one on 10 week was not given as rotasure is not available in bangalore. What do I do now? The dose was due on 12th nov.
My son 10 years old but his weight is 26 kg only. He do not take proper diet. He do not like vegetables .what I do.
Hi, I have a three months old baby who refuses to breastfeed suddenly. Its been one month now, sometime it's really frustrating whenever I tried to feed him he cries like anything so this days I am usually feeding him when he sleeps. Even if I tried to hold him on my lap he cries thinking that I am going to feed him. Please help.
Meri daughter 4 saal ki hai. Uske chehre per 15-20 masse ho gye hai jo abhi shuruat (safed) hai. Unhe rokne or khatam karne ka loi ilaaj bataeye. Dhanyawad.
My son is 4 1/2 and this is his second year in preschool. I can honestly say that I have been trying to teach him his ABC's and 123's for about 2 years now. He knows the ABC song and can count to 16. But when asked if he can find a certain letter or number, he usually does not know. He does recognize numbers 0-3 and maybe about 10 letters, but that is it. He is not interested. While teaching him, I have used puzzles, books, workbooks, DVD's, number and alphabet charts, Leap Frog hand held games as well a v-tech. I have also used a reward system with m&m's, tossing a ball for every correct answer, making a big deal about it, telling him how proud I am, etc. He is just not getting it and I am at my witts end. It took him about a year to learn his colors. And that was a nightmare. I know this is not normal, and I don't know what to do. I was hoping to get more information on what may be wrong. Thank You.
Puberty results from activation of gonads (testes in boys/ ovaries in girls) by pituitary hormones LH and FSH. Activated gonads produce sexual hormones (testosterone in boys and estrogen in girls ) which are responsible for gender specific physical changes at puberty along with behaviour changes. Testosterone in boys is responsible for hair growth over pubic area and face with maturation of genital organs, breaking of voice, development of muscular and skeletal system. Similarly, estrogen in girls is responsible for breast development, maturation of genital organs with feminisation of body. Bone maturation with rapid height gain is seen at puberty both in boys and girls. Various systemic and hormonal disorders can result in either late or early puberty.
LATE PUBERTY -
Most of the boys show signs of puberty latest by age of 14 years and most girls start showing signs of puberty latest by age of 13 years. The earliest sign of puberty in boys is enlargement of testes and in girls is height spurt/breast development. When boys older than 14 years and girls older than 13 years don't have any signs of puberty it is called delayed puberty.
CAUSES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
- Constitutional delay is most common cause of delayed puberty. The constitutional delay means child is not having any illness and he is going to develop puberty spontaneously at later age. But diagnosis of this condition can be made only after physical examination and investigations so that other causes of delayed puberty are ruled out.
- Functional hypogonadotropic Hypopogonadism - Delayed but spontaneous puberty develops. This condition can be seen in systemic illnesses like chronic infections, poor nutritional status etc.
- Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism - Disorders of pituitary gland result in low LH and FSH so that testes/ovaries are not stimulated and sex hormone is not produced. This can be caused by various genetic disorders, brain tumours, head injury, brain radiation etc.
- Hypergonadotropic Hypogonadism - In this scenario, LH and FSH levels are normal but gonadal are not able to produce sex hormones resulting in delayed puberty.
CONSEQUENCES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
The absence of age specific pubertal changes cause anxiety and distress in children and their parents. These children may develop low self-esteem and are teased by their peers. Along with the poor development of physical signs of puberty, fertility is also affected in hypogonadism. And most importantly, delayed puberty can be the symptom of serious underlying illness like intracranial tumours etc. These children deserve medical attention to get best results.
Serum testosterone/estradiol with LH and FSH is done to find out where is defect i.e. whether at the level of pituitary gland or at the level of testes/ovaries. Further investigations depend on levels LH, FSH, estradiol/testosterone. Other useful investigations include prolactin, T4, TSH, ray hand for bone age, ultrasound pelvis, MRI pituitary gland etc.
After diagnosis is established, Testosterone/estrogen replacement should be started to boys older than 14 year and girls older than 13 years respectively. Hormone replacement is very effective and usually safe. In adulthood those with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism can be treated with LH and FSH to produce sperms/ eggs so that they can achieve fertility. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.