Lybrate.com has top trusted Oncologists from across India. You will find Oncologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Nitin Bhave
Submit a review for Dr. Nitin BhaveYour feedback matters!
Enlargement of the prostate is a condition that can happen as you tend to get older. This can be treated with medications. However, did you know that the problem can be indirectly related to your performance in bed? It is true and read ahead to get acquainted with more knowledge.
Studies show that the urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate can be one of the causes of erectile dysfunction. Getting up many times in a night to urinate can also indirectly affect this. Once the prostate enlarges due to old age or due to an underlying condition it affects the flow of urine. This increases the need to urinate frequently or prolonged time duration when passing out urine. Studies conducted have identified that this impacts your sexual life to a vast degree. Simply put, your urinary symptoms decrease the level of sexual activity.
When your thought process is on constant need to urinate enlarges, you might be physically less tolerant towards your sexual urges. Also, the sensation may be enough to put off any guy during the act. Prostate enlargement also affects your libido levels and can decrease the healthy sperm count. Prostrates important job is to aid the addition of semen to the sperm.
Some of the common symptoms a person undergoes when facing a prostate enlargement include a feeling of urgency, a need to urinate frequently, waking up many times in the middle of the night to urinate, a weak urine stream and straining to urinate. These lead to sexual deficiencies such as little or no erection during a sexual activity and sexual dissatisfaction and sexual problems. It can also be rightly summarized that this predominantly affects the old age men and these are something which a person may have to accept as a result of old age.
Prostate enlargement can be treated and you might have to undertake a dosage of medications for such conditions. A range of treatment options are available to deal with the enlarged glands. It depends vastly on your age and the conditions of your lifestyle you live in. You can choose to opt for a minimally invasive same-day procedure that will surely help you relieve the symptoms. Most people also do take up ayurvedic treatments for prostate enlargement which are very helpful. Do talk with your doctor before you go in for such ayurvedic remedies.
Herbs In Ayurveda That Help In Erectile Dysfunction!
- Asphaltum(Shilajit): The Ayurvedic herb Shilajit has been popular since ages for its wonderful effects on the male libido. The fertility rates and sperm counts increase multi-fold with the usage of Shilajit. Ayurvedic physicians recommend Shilajit herb for improving stamina and energy levels in males thereby helping them feel more powerful and efficient when working out.
- Withania Somnifera (Ashwagandha): It is a great antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to promote overall well-being of the body and nourishes it with strength and immunity.
- Tribulus Terrestris(Gokhshura): Tribulus is a wonderful herb for strength and stamina. It helps improve the immunity which enhances the self-esteem and self-confidence in men. Tribulus herb for prostate health and power helps improve erectile dysfunction.
5 Yoga Poses for Erectile Dysfunction
The yogic techniques are also known to improve your testosterone levels and increase blood flow to your pelvic region, helping you treat erectile dysfunction and enhance your sex life. Try these yoga poses to promote to manage ED.
- Paschimottanasana: This posture can help relax pelvic muscles that are tense from sitting for long periods of time.
- Uttanasana: This is a staple in many yoga routines. This intense stretch may help you with anxiety. It even helps with infertility while also improving digestion and stimulating the organs in the abdomen.
- Baddha Konasana: You may have heard this as a Butterfly Pose. Along with stretching the inner thighs and groin, it stimulates the prostate gland along with the bladder, the kidneys, and the organs in the abdomen.
- Janu Sirsasana: Head-to-knee pose is the most effective when performed on an empty stomach. It helps with your flexibility, especially in the hamstring muscles, thighs, back and hips. It also helps with blood flow in the lower abdomen and groin.
Dietary changes such as the inclusion of ghee, nuts, urad (black gram) lentil and sweet items reported help in the cure of erectile dysfunction. Hot and spicy foods should be avoided as they can upset the doshas of the body and impede treatment. You can take an ayurvedic treatment package for effective results. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.
Sir, I am 56 years old. 5 years ago prostate inl argement problem diagnosis. My psa was 5. 9. So rml: s sr. Doctore recomoned for biopssy. In biopssy report was negative. From2011 am taking afdoora and two other medicines. The main problem is this that I can not control the pressure of urin. I feels the urine will discharge in clothes. Two months ago I feel that my sexual power decreases. I asked the doctor they changed the afdoora tablets. Please advise the correct treatment in homeopathy for this problem ?
My mother age is 55. she is diagnosed with papillary carcinoma of thyroid. Doctor saying about surgery, how much surgery cost, is it necessary surgery. Pks suggest.
My sister is having some *gath* (Lump) on breast area and she is also having pain, we have consulted one Dr. and she suggested that same needs to be remove through surgery and my sister age is 19 year old. So we are little be scared about this issues as per ultra sound report:- fibroadenoma is mention in it. Impression:- Hypoechoic lesion in lower quadrant? Fibroadenoma Please suggest me further. We are very scared about this.
Radiation therapy is used for destroying the brain tumor cells, and relieves the symptoms of discomfort and pain caused by the tumor. Radiation is usually used after biopsy or resection of the tumor. This is done to destroy the microscopic cells of the tumor which have been left behind. Sometimes this is also an option for unresectable brain tumors or the metastatic tumors which spread to the brain from other parts of the body.
The radiation therapy is planned on several factors like the size and type of the tumor and the extent to which it has spread. Usually external beam radiation is used for the brain cancer and the area radiated involves the tumor and the surrounding area. In case of a metastatic brain cancer the radiation is given to the entire brain. People who have lung cancer receive radiation in the brain as a preventive therapy in order to stop the metastatic cancer from developing.
Side effects of brain cancer radiation
Depending on the site, dose, and other factors the radiation therapy when given to the brain might cause side effects. Hair loss, fatigue, edema, skin irritations are a few common side effects of brain tumor radiation. In some cases some people might develop swelling of the ankle, foot, calf and blood clots in the leg.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is basically the use of targeted energy like X-ray to kill the cancer cells, or shrink them or change the symptoms related to cancer. This therapy might be used as:
- Primary treatment for the destruction of the cancer cells
- In combination with other ongoing treatments to inhibit the growth of the cancer cells
- Prior to another treatment to shrink the cancer cells
- Post some treatment to stop the growth of any cancer cells that have been left behind
- To relieve cancer symptoms
Types of radiation
Some of the radiation methods commonly used are:
- External beam radiation therapy: In this the radiation is directed from outside the body on the cancerous cells in the body. Some examples of this are IMRT, TomoTherapy, stereotactic radiosurgery, 3D conformal radiation therapy and IGRT.
- Internal radiation therapy: Examples of this are high-dose rate brachytherapy.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The prostate gland, an essential part of the male reproductive system grows throughout your life. As you grow older, it becomes imperative to keep this organ healthy.
Here's what you can do to maintain a healthy prostate:
1. Workout to stay fit - Exercising regularly and maintaining an optimum weight can help to keep your prostate gland at an optimal health. Several types of research have revealed the beneficial aspects of exercising. It's said that physically active men are less likely to suffer from enlarged prostate if they performed a physical activity of low to moderate intensity. Likewise, physically active men who ran for 90 to 108 minutes are 20% less likely to develop erectile dysfunction.
2. Eat fruits and vegetables - Including fruits and vegetables in your diet can help to maintain a healthy prostate. Guava, papaya, tomato and watermelon are some of the options that spell good for your prostate. Vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts should also be included to boost the health of the gland. Ideally, you should have about 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
3. Have more soy products - Eating more soy products like tofu, soy flour, soy nuts can help to keep cancer of the prostate at bay. A study published in the British Journal of Urology International revealed that men who had soy products saw a 40% decrease in their risk of developing an enlarged prostate.
4. Have selenium-rich foods - Having foods rich in selenium (a powerful trace mineral) like tuna, eggs, cashews, onions, garlic, etc can reduce your risk of developing prostate cancer.
5. Say yes to healthy fats and no to trans and saturated fats - Choosing healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and olive oil can aid in boosting prostate health. At the same time, limiting saturated fats and trans fat intake are vital for keeping the prostate gland healthy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Urologist.
Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile duct cancer), like any other cancer, leaves a person physically, mentally and emotionally drained. It has been mostly found to affect people above 60 years of age. The signs and symptoms associated are so common that very few people consult a physician. A delayed diagnosis implies delayed treatment. This goes on to aggravate and complicate the situation further. One needs to be a little alert. Any symptoms, no matter how common, should not be taken lightly. Look for the early signs and symptoms and bile duct cancer can be fully cured.
Signs and symptoms associated with Cholangiocarcinoma:
Bile duct cancer can be Extrahepatic (occurs in the duct outside the liver) or Intrahepatic (cancer develops within the smaller ducts inside the liver). It must be noted that Intrahepatic Bile duct cancer and Liver cancer are different.
- Bile duct cancer results in blocking the bile duct. This blockage severely effects the secretion of bilirubin and bile from the liver. Thus, the secretions (bile and bilirubin) which are supposed to flow into the intestine move back into the bloodstream. An elevated level of bilirubin in the blood gives rise to a condition, known as Jaundice (a condition resulting in yellowing of the eyes and the skin). The problem lies in the fact that many other factors can equally contribute to Jaundice. Consulting a physician at the earliest is the best resort.
- A sudden or drastic weight loss and loss of appetite is an alarming sign of Cholangiocarcinoma.
- Excessive itching can be an indication of something as big as bile duct cancer. Itching can be an outcome of the increased bilirubin (blood) reaching the skin.
- At an advanced stage of Cholangiocarcinoma, a patient may experience severe abdominal pain.
- At times, the tumour in the bile duct might exert immense pressure on the nearby organs. This can give rise to an enlarged abdominal mass. Bloated feeling is also very common amongst the patients.
- An unusual change in the colour of the stool and urine should not be neglected. The elevated bilirubin level from the intestine is usually eliminated out of the system through the urine. Thus the stool appears lighter and the urine a shade darker.
- A cholangiocarcinoma patient can, at times feel nauseated. Fever is also a common but an extremely important indication.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!