Lybrate.com has top trusted Rheumatologists from across India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Nilesh Patil
Submit a review for Dr. Nilesh PatilYour feedback matters!
Hello doctor. Actually my mother (age-35) have a problem of knee pain and it occur when she climb up and down on stair. The most painful movement when she started down on stair. Suggest some medicine/exercise/any precaution.
When performing simple daily activities like climbing stairs, getting out of a chair, or walking tend to become a rather painful experience, knee replacement surgery seems to be the only suitable solution. Referred to as arthroplasty, it is a common surgery nowadays and ideal when several other therapies and injections fail to bring back the knees into the normal functioning order. Below are some the things that one can expect from a knee replacement surgery.
- Medications: It is quite natural to receive lots of prescribed medicines right after the completion of the surgery. From antibiotics to painkillers, one needs to be ready to have various medicines which are meant to relieve the pain of the surgery as well as to prevent blood clots. However, the drug dosages continue to get lesser, after each passing day, depending on how well the knees are performing.
- CPM: Taking the help of CPM or continuous passive motion becomes necessary for many people after having the knee replacement surgery. Depending on the condition of one’s knee, one might need to spend time in a CPM system, which helps in keeping the knee flexible. There’s a cradle in the machine for the legs, and the machine is fitted with the joint position and leg length. One can adjust the level up to which the machine can bend the knees, depending on their comfort level.
- Walking: The majority of the people who undergo knee replacement surgery can walk the very day of the surgery or the next day. Most of the people become able to bear the weight of the replaced knee with the help of crutches or walkers. However, one can expect a bit of pain when starting to walk for the first time after surgery.
- Rehabilitation: The primary purpose of rehabilitation after a knee replacement surgery is to make one capable of bending his or her knees at least 90 degrees which is essential for performing the daily activities easily. Several therapies can make the rehabilitation process a success and make the knees bendable more than 90 degrees in most of the cases.
- Exercise: Most people go home within a few days after a knee replacement surgery and is essential to take care post-surgery. The best way to maintain the good health of the knees is by performing the exercise program regularly, which is suggested by the doctors. Following the exercise program regularly and performing regular short walks, can make the knees flexible like before while regaining their strength as well as the motion range more quickly.
It's best to visit one's doctor from time to time, even months after the knee replacement surgery is done to not only monitor his or her knee replacement; but also to ensure that there are no risks of any complications. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.