Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Naveen RainaYour feedback matters!
I want to quit smoking. And want to increase my fitness level. How do I recover from the damage done by smoking?
Elevated PSA I am a 75 years old. My PSA last year was 4.03 this year it has elevated to 5.83. This has me stressed and worried. My urologist has recommend I have a biopsy. I have been reading and go ogling about prostate cancer and biopsies. The more I read and learn, the more confused I get. I am 50- to get a.
Hello sir/ madam I grown up by fear but I don't afraid Everytime. When I used to learn bike I fell down 2 times ,from that day I got a phobia when. Someone tells to drive bike .How should I solve this?
Anorexia is a common eating disorder which is identified by abnormally low body weight, intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted perception of body weight. The problem is not only related to your dietary patterns but it also related to your mental state. People with this disorder are generally self-conscious, have a low self-esteem and are overly concerned about their external appearance.
Causes of anorexia
- Biological factors - These factors represent that anorexia can be congenital or it may have developed over time. Congenital means that disorder is hereditary in nature and is passed on from the parents to the offspring. On the other hand, it may develop in people who are more sensitive and have an inclination towards perfection.
- Psychological factors - Anorexia can also be caused due to certain specific personality traits and emotions that might be possessed by you. For instance, anorexia is more likely to happen to young women who are really worried and conscious out the way they look externally. Additionally, people who are either emotionally not too strong or suffer from anxiety issues can develop this disorder easily.
- Environmental factors - The type of a cultural set up you are living in also plays an important role in developing this disorder. For instance, the western culture is all about slim and fit people, whereas the oriental countries are not so bothered about the same.
Symptoms of Anorexia
Emotional symptoms - This category of symptoms includes behaviors and a thought process aimed towards losing weight and minimizing your food intake. Some of the symptoms belonging to this type include:
- Forceful vomiting to lose calories
- Staying hungry
- Excessive physical activity or exercise
- Denial of hunger
- Social withdrawal
- Depressed moods
Physical symptoms - These symptoms are self-explanatory and are clearly visible on the human body. These include:
- Extreme weight loss
- Thin appearance
- Abnormal blood count
- Dizziness or fainting
- Discoloration of the fingers
- Hair that thins, breaks or falls out
- Soft, downy hair covering the body
- Low blood pressure
Stress happens when the demands placed on you are too much and cause a burden on you, for example, work, school or relationships surpass your capacity or ability to adapt. Sometimes stress can be a little beneficial in the form of a support that gives the drive to some people to get their work done on time and meet due dates and deadline. However, an extraordinary measure of stress can create health and well-being issues. They can lead to problems in cardiovascular and central nervous systems and take a serious emotional problem.
Untreated and chronic stress can bring about serious health conditions including tension, sleeping disorder, muscle pain, hypertension and a weak immune system. Stress can fuel other diseases and disorders, for example, heart diseases, depression and obesity most of the times. By discovering positive, healthy and solid ways to oversee stress as it happens, a significant number of these negative wellbeing outcomes can be decreased. Here are five effective ways to manage stress:
- Take a break from the stress: It might appear to be hard to divert yourself from a major work schedule. However, when you give yourself consent to step away from it, you let yourself have sufficient energy to accomplish something else, which can help you have another viewpoint or practice methods to feel less stressed. It is critical not to ignore the stress factor. However, even twenty minutes to yourself is useful.
- Workout: Exercise benefits your emotions and brain along with your body. We continue finding out about the long term advantages of a normal exercise schedule. In any case, even a ten or fifteen-minute walk, run, swim or yoga session during an unpleasant time can give a quick impact that can keep you going for a few hours.
- Laugh and try to stay happy: Our brains are interconnected with our feelings and outward appearances. When individuals are stressed, its shows up on their face. So laughter can alleviate some of that pressure and enhance the circumstance.
- Get social backing: Try to call a friend or send an email to someone regarding your problems. When you impart your worries or sentiments to someone else, it helps calm the stress. In any case, it is critical that the individual whom you converse with is somebody whom you trust and someone who can understand and accept you. In case that your family is the stressor, for instance, it may not ease your stress in which case, you may need a friend.
- Meditate: Meditation and prayer can help the brain and body to unwind and concentrate properly. It can help people see new points of view, create self-sympathy and forgiveness. While practising meditation, individuals can discharge feelings that may have been bringing about physical pain. Much like a workout, research has demonstrated that practising meditation can prove to be very helpful. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.
The mental health of a person can be regulated with the help of self-awareness and a conscious attitude in many cases. Yet, in most cases, one will have to resort to the use of psychiatric help which may include the use of therapy and medication. There are many kinds of conditions that may go out of hand and affect our day to day functioning. These include conditions like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and many more. Yet, there is a certain amount of stigma and many myths attached to the field of psychiatry and its medication. Here are a few myths that we have tackled.
- Psychiatric Medicines can be Addictive: This is a major myth that may people have. It is not true that once you start taking psychiatric medication, you will have to take them for life. In fact, for medicines like anti depressants, most clinicians make it a rule to administer the drugs for only a limited period of time, so that the person does not get dependent on the medication in order to run his or her life in a normal manner. Like there is a time defined period for treatment like ATT ( for tuberculosis) likewise there is a time duration of treatment with antidepressants which a patient should discuss with their psychiatrist. Further, the prescription of such medication is more often than not, backed with proper therapy which happens before and after the medication is taken. This helps in ensuring that the patient is weaned off accordingly with the help of positive discussions and evaluations.
- Antidepressants can make us Happy: This is another major myth that many people have. The fact is that the antidepressants do not have any euphoria creating properties which recreations drugs may have. These are medicines that have an affect on the production of the specific hormones that may be creating problems in the life of the patient. Therefore, one should not expect to feel happy as soon as the antidepressant is taken with some water. A happier self can only come from within and with outside help like therapy in case the patient is in a constant state of despair. The medication will simply help in suppressing and increasing the production of the necessary hormones in the brain, which will restore the correct chemical balance. A person who takes these kinds of medicines without actually suffering from depression may face side effects like feeling off balance and sick.
- Psyhiatric drugs will change your personality: Any medication out there can cause negative effects for a patient if taken too long or given the wrong dosage. You have to discuss any treatment related side effects with your doctor and he will have a solution for it. The way we see it, is this; if someone with depression overcomes it through their medication, their personality will be changed, yes – they will be free from negative thoughts, anti-social behavior, and feelings of defeat, which is a definite change in personality – a positive change. The same can be said for an illness like Schizophrenia, with the right treatment plan, their minds will become less consumed by hallucinations, delusions, and irrational anxieties – another healthy and positive personality change. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.