Lybrate.com has top trusted Gynaecologists from across India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Trichomonas Vaginalis, a virus, which affects almost 7.4 million men and women each year. This virus can cause a sexually transmitted disease upon contact with a person who may be carrying the same. This condition is more common in women than it is in men and causes a variety of symptoms. Let us learn more about this infection.
- Symptoms: This disease does not have any obvious symptoms until the problem becomes pretty severe. The symptoms for men include irritation inside the penis, discharge, and a burning sensation upon urination and ejaculation. The symptoms for women include a strong odour filled discharge that may also be greenish yellow in colour, pain in the lower abdomen in case the infection is extremely severe, itching and irritation in the vagina, and pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- Diagnosis: The gynaecologist or the general physician will usually carry out the diagnosis with the help of blood and urine samples that will be sent to the lab for testing. These tests will help in determining the spread and severity of the infection. The doctor will also use vaginal or urethral fluid in order to diagnose the issue with the help of further lab tests. Most doctors will tell you that it is harder to detect the presence of the virus in women, than it is in men.
- Treatment: The treatment of this disease is done with the help of metronidazole, which can be used to treat trichomoniasis in case the patient is pregnant. It is usually recommended that the sexual partner of the patient should also be treated for the infection so as to stem its spread. Also, the doctors will recommend abstinence from sex for the duration of the treatment. Antibiotics will also be prescribed for both partners. Usually, one will be asked to wait for all the symptoms to disappear before becoming sexually active again.
- Complications: There is a risk of contracting the HIV virus in case pregnant women do not get treated for this disease on time. It can also cause premature rupture of the various membranes that protect the foetus, which can in turn, lead to premature delivery of the baby. Further, women who are suffering from this disease are at higher risk of passing on the HIV virus to their partners. This happens when the woman is also infected with the HIV virus.
- Prevention: There are various ways to prevent this disease including the proper use of condoms and limiting the number of sexual partners. Genital inflammation and pain should be checked by a doctor immediately to rule out the possibility of this STD. Also, one must take the necessary precautions to avoid catching and spreading this disease and getting a full body check up done is an important part of prevention.