Lybrate.com has top trusted Dentists from across India. You will find Dentists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. MerwadeYour feedback matters!
Mouth breathing in children is very common and while a kid with open mouth might seem cute, it is not always the case. The parents need to be made aware that a child breathing through the mouth all the time is not normal and it is high time they find a way to manage it.
A little understanding of the effects of the mouth breathing habit on the child's health in general and oral health in particular can be an eye-opener for the parent. For an educated person, there are obvious symptoms, which indicate that the child is a mouth-breather.
These symptoms include:
- Dryness of the lips
- Crowding of the front teeth
- Sleeping with the mouth open
- Recurrent infections of the airways including sinusitis and middle ear infections
- Bad breath
Common causes include:
- Chronic nasal obstruction/congestion because of which the child is not able to get enough oxygen through the nose.
- Enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Thumb or finger-sucking habit
- Recurrent respiratory infections
Effects of mouth breathing on oral health:
Mouth breathing may seem like a harmless habit, but has serious effects on the oral and dental health of the child. Some of them are discussed below.
- Dry mouth: A constantly open mouth can lead to drying up of the saliva. This in turn leads to reduced effects of saliva including the flushing effect on the bacteria and the food deposits. This leads to increased chances of tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Tooth decay: With reduced saliva, the pH remains acidic for a longer period of time, leading to increased chances of tooth decay.
- Gum diseases: Reduced amounts of saliva also leads to increased gum disease and periodontal disease as the bacteria are not removed and have a conducive environment to act upon.
- Facial development: A mouth breathing child maintains a different posture than a nose breather. This leads to a narrow and long face, flattened nose, smaller nostrils, reduced facial tone, thin upper lip, pouty upper lip, and a small lower jaw.
- Speech: An open mouth causes the tongue to thrust into the palate when talking. This leads to altered pronunciation of some sounds; especially and can cause lisping.
- Braces: Mouth breathing causes multiple challenges including prolonged treatment period, inability to close the gaps, reduced stability of the realigned teeth, and increased chances of relapse. The added complication of increased gum disease and tooth decay makes it worse. The habit needs to be corrected first before going in for braces.
If that sounds like a long list, they are not all inclusive. Early intervention in the habit can correct and negate all these effects. Talk to your dentist to know how to help your mouth breathing child.
Inspite brushing regularly sides of four upper front teeth of my grandson aged 2. 75 years has been blackened. Upper part of one teeth is completely lost. We have consulted paediatric dentist. They have advised root canal treatment of all the four teeth. Is there no other option available. Kindly guide the course of treatment.
My father suffering teeth pain in before 3 days to up to now. Medicins are also use, but there is no use that. One teeth is too pain. So, please give me best tablet medicine.
I am 37 years old female. I have been to a doctor recently to get my lower front (previously re-root canal treated ) two teeth temporary crown removed and get the permanent crown fixed as I was under braces treatment previously. But the crowns were tightly fixed and my lower one teeth is moving now. The doctor is saying to get both the tooth removed and with adjacent good teeth support get a bridge done. Please suggest some alternatives as I do not want to loose my tooth. How much does it cost for one tooth implant?
I am 18 years old male. Bloods are coming during brushing and a smell from mouth. Please help what I can do for it?
Maire teeth thode bahar hai . Maine dentist se treatment k liye bat kri dentist ne kha ki teeth ander ho jayenge 1 year k karib time lagega .but dentist keh rhe hai ki maire dono side se ek-ek teeth nikalna padega. Uske bina result nhi milega. What should I do. Please suggest.
My Daughter has cough and running nose and her first molar teeth coming out. She is cranking very often and drooling. Please suggest some medicine for cough and cold too. She is 14 month old.
I have got red red hole spots in my mouths upper part. What is it can you please tell me whats this and how to get it ?
Sir, I'm about 19 year old student. I'm trying for defense field like army, navy, and air force and I'm selected also but in medical test they reject me because of my teeth. There is a large cavity in my two teeth that's why can you guide me or help me how to fill this cavity or if I'm replace my teeth to artificial teeth then how much cost I have to pay. Please guide me. I consult with private doctor they told me first we remove your teeth and then we do root canal after that we fit cyram teeth I don't know about cyram teeth. Cyram teeth is best or any other option I have and this process charges is about 10000 to 12000 this changes is very high that's why I need your help.
I am suffering from my teeth problem, my teeth condition is very bad. There is small hole. What do I do now?
Iam. Getting black marks in face and neck once pimples get disappear. Is there any home remedies to avoid black marks. And I can feel my mouth fresh only for three hours from brushing time. I feeling bad smell from mouth.
Blooding From last one Montage, i have consulted dentist give some treatment But No. Improvement. What i do?
The consumption of too many acidic foods erodes the enamel on your teeth
grinding of the teeth also destroys the natural structure of your teeth. Over time, your teeth might become sensitive.
The roots of your teeth are nicely protected by gum tissue, but when the gums recede the root becomes exposed thus causing sensitive teeth.
Recent Dental Work
Short term tooth sensitivity can also be caused by recent dental work. You should not worry, because this is only a temporary side effect and sensitivity will go away in a few weeks.