Lybrate.com has top trusted Gastroenterologists from across India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mandar Daiephode
Submit a review for Dr. Mandar DaiephodeYour feedback matters!
Dear sir I am suffering from pancreatitis since 1 year I am under treatment in kolkata I want to consultant with this matter Please help me.
Hi. I'm 53 years old. I am a diabetic patient and recently I have known that my gallbladder contains 3 stones 12-15 mm. Which type of surgery will be suitable for me?
My husband has lots of gas problem. He is 30 years old. He feels burning sensation no heart n also due to stress he has no control over toilet. His head pains at three points continuously. please recommend any remedy.
Hi doctor. I'm suffering with lot of pain while passing stools and after passing stool it remains till 5 or 7 hours. Feeling shy to consult doctor Please help me in this.
Dear sir/mam, I have developed with a pink color bulged muscle out of my motion excreta place, its not paining but what's that? What are the chances. Now I am pregnant, how can I remove tat please suggest.
Hello sir/mam I have coughing and digestion problem since couple of month. Please help me for the same.
The human body with its multiple organs is a highly complicated structure and one or more organs often malfunction for various reasons. However, for some, no reasons are identified for this problem. One such is irritable bowel syndrome or IBS as it is commonly referred to.
It is a common disorder affecting the large intestine leading to alternate bouts of diarrhea and constipation, abdominal cramps and a feeling of fullness. It is common in people younger than 45 years of age, affects women more than men, and though the exact reason is not known, the following are attributed.
1. Signal issues between the brain and intestines: For various or even unknown reasons, the brain may not be able to send the right signal to the stomach to process food, making the stomach to be hyperactive and have an increased sense of pain or sensitivity or discomfort. Neurotransmitters, which are chemicals responsible for sending signals to various organs also could be involved.
2. Hormonal connection: Menstrual periods tend to aggravate symptoms of IBS, while postmenopausal women are largely free of IBS symptoms.
3. Genetics: People with a family history of IBS are more likely to develop IBS too.
5. Infections: Some people with IBS have certain bacteria identified in their gut which produces excessive gas and this could lead to altered bowel movements.
6. GI Motility Issues: Alterations in the way the food passes through the stomach can lead to either constipation (slow movement) or diarrhea (quicker movement). There could also be spasms and contractions after eating, especially if the stress levels are high.
7. Psychological issues: Panic disorder, anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder are common in IBS patients. It is possible that they are not able to express their psychological stress, it manifests as physical symptoms. Stress increases symptoms of IBS and vice versa.
2. Lifestyle changes: Reduce alcohol and smoking
3. Dietary changes: Avoid aggravating foods, increase the amount of fiber if you have diarrhea and space out meals to avoid intestinal overload
4. Herbal remedies: Probiotics, peppermint oil and a variety of herbal medicines are available.
5. Symptomatic medications: Based on presenting symptoms, different medications including antibiotics for infections and motility drugs can be used. Anti anxiety and antidepressants are also prescribed to manage the psychological issues.
In terms of causes, symptoms, or treatment, IBS requires a very individualized approach and your doctor is the right person to discuss this with and decide.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!