Common Specialities
Common Issues
Common Treatments

Dr. K. S. Kulkarni

MD - Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychological Medicine

Psychiatrist, Pune

37 Years Experience  ·  500 at clinic
Dr. K. S. Kulkarni MD - Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychological Medicine Psychiatrist, Pune
37 Years Experience  ·  500 at clinic
Submit Feedback
Report Issue
Get Help

Personal Statement

My experience is coupled with genuine concern for my patients. All of my staff is dedicated to your comfort and prompt attention as well....more
My experience is coupled with genuine concern for my patients. All of my staff is dedicated to your comfort and prompt attention as well.
More about Dr. K. S. Kulkarni
Dr. K. S. Kulkarni is a popular Psychiatrist in Deccan, Pune. He has been a successful Psychiatrist for the last 37 years. He is a MD - Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychological Medicine . You can consult Dr. K. S. Kulkarni at Sathe Hospital in Deccan, Pune. Book an appointment online with Dr. K. S. Kulkarni and consult privately on has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 27 years of experience on You can find Psychiatrists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.


MD - Psychiatry - Seth G.S. Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, - 1982
Diploma in Psychological Medicine - Seth G.S. Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, - 1980
Languages spoken
Professional Memberships
Membership of Indian Psychiatric Society 11164
Life Fellow Membership of Indian Psychiatric Society


Book Clinic Appointment

Sathe Hospital

Sathe Hospital,Deccan Gymkhana. Landamrk: Above Deccan Gymkhana Post Office Building, PunePune Get Directions

Oyster & Pearl Hospital Pvt.Ltd

#402/A, Senapati Bapat Road, Gokhale Nagar. Landmark: Near Dominos Pizza, PunePune Get Directions
500 at clinic
View All

Consult Online

Text Consult
Send multiple messages/attachments
7 days validity
Consult Now


View All Services

Submit Feedback

Submit a review for Dr. K. S. Kulkarni

Your feedback matters!
Write a Review


Nothing posted by this doctor yet. Here are some posts by similar doctors.

Some words are not pronounced clearly by me. How I can prounce the words clearly. And that disorder is from my childhood please suggest me how I should do?

Bachelor of Audiology & Speech Language Pathology (B.A.S.L.P)
Dear lybrate-user which words difficulty pronounce, if you do the place & manner of articulation you can pronounce clearly but first you consult the speech therapist near by your area then apply the technique.
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Since 2013. Hallucinations are coming in my mind twice a week .but I am sleeping everyday 7 hours and when hallucinations come. Then I feel temporary unconscious and my mind tells me to kill others and my mind also tells that the world is going to end now. But I am controlling myself to stay relax. I am very scared. Please give me the best suggestions?

B.Sc(Hons) Mumbai Univ., ND, MD - Alternate Medicine, Aroma Therap., Bach Flower Rem, Mental Health Cert.
Alternative Medicine Specialist, Mumbai
Hi I will prescribe some harmless but effective flower remedy. The medicine you use should be Original. I supply original Swiss medicines for which I take only Medicine and Courier charge. If you want you can contact me for text consult for medicines. Mix 3 drops of Aspen+ 3 drops of Mimulus + 3 drops of Cherry plum + 3 drops of Scleranthus + 3 drops of White chestnut. Mix these with 100 ml water and drink it every morning and night.(same dose) on empty stomach. If problem continues consult me online.
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

My girlfriend left me. Because of her father reputation. About a month ago. We sometime talk. Like twice in a week. She blocked me from whatsapp hike. I am always missing her. How to. Forget her totally . As we are in same collage. But different departments some time she goes near from my classes. How I explain? What is that feeling? Give me solution.

M.Phil clinical Psychology, MS Psychotherapy and Counseling, PGDGC, MSc Psychology
Psychologist, Chennai
Hi if your girl friend left you for the sake of her father it only means that she does not give importance to you or the realtionship. The best way is to break the contact completely and focus on building a new trust worthy realtionship. But the way you have expressed the problem it seems that you have very limited friends and social circle which make you give too much of value to ant realtionship you get into. So better try to develop more friendships, increase your social circle and also start focusing on the goals in your life which can protect you from getting into such emotional tangles. If you have difficulty in doing this better consult a psychologist in your vicinity at the earliest.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hi. I am 27 years old male single. I cannot control my anger. And whenever I get angry or falls into any kind of arguments my heart beats very fast and hand and legs starts to shiver. Please help.

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
The physical reactions you describe indicate that you could be really scared but acting angry to cover it up. The fear is an energy sapping feeling, whereas the anger supplies energy! that is why many people act angry when they are really sacred. If that is true for you too, look into that and talk to a counselor, if you do not understand the mechanism. Sometimes the fear may be too much to let yourself feel it. Delve into your background with the counselor to locate that and when you deal with that your problems may just disappear. If on the other hand, the anger is genuine, trace it back to whenever from your past and deal with it. Many of us accumulate unexpressed feelings from the immediate or long past and we then become very fragile and vulnerable to even minor provocations and let out huge steam unmatched to the stimulus. This will make you an easy target by those who want to get a sick pleasure out of provoking you. You will then become a spectacle and a plaything in their hands. For this too, I recommend the help of a counselor. Exercise is an excellent outlet for the energy of the anger so that you will never loose your cool.
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Hello This is rishi got my accident in 2010 which has resulted me 1 and half inch clot in frontal region of my brain I want to ask you a question After accident I never used alcohol for 2 years and had my medication to one and half year and then after stopping my medication I started using alcohol but the things got worsen and again I quited alcohol I want to know that there are any alcohol which can improve my brain function becoz, by using alcohol I am facing some memory problem how many years can take to recover my brain as earlier I am in a very depression !

MBBS, MD Psychiatry, DNB Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Nagpur
Alcohol is better avoided in cases of memory loss, since chronic use of alcohol is directly related to symptoms of memory impairment. It is advisable to investigate for deficiencies of vitamins of b complex group to rule out causes of memory loss and depression. Please get back with details of the treatments you took so far along with reports of brain scan done after your accident, so that an appropriate management can be advised.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I'm a software engineer. I've studied in IIIT, a complete technical university. I've been using laptop from 7 years. But now after joining into the job, I'm getting headache on small areas of my forehead. Please suggest some remedy.

General Physician, Cuttack
You may be having Computer eye strain commonly known as computer vision syndrome. .Please follow the advice given below. 1.Take a break- Use 20-20 rule, Take a break for 20 second after working in computer for 20 minutes and look at some thing 20 feet away. 2.Blink Frequently to prevent dryness of eyes 3.Use of computer glass- it optimises your eye sight when you are looking at digital screen and helps to decrease glare 4. Keep your monitor bright- this decreases flicker 5. Use proper lighting like incandescent light 6. check position of monitor- monitor should be placed 4-5inches below eye level and 20-28 inches from eyes 7. Adjust, screen resolution 8.Minimise glare- clean monitor regularly to remove dust and place an anti glare screen 9.Try massage or eye cupping- Massaging the area around the eye will relax eye muscle. Rub your hands together to create friction and warmth, then gently cup your palm over the closed eye and rest them 10. Take multivitamin tablet containing vitamin A,C,E, B complex, Zinc and antioxidant 11. Go for yearly eye examination
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

What is the side effect of using tobacco in the day to day life? Its a bad habit?

Internal Medicine Specialist, Ajmer
The list is long- tobacco chewing- oral (mouth) cancer smoking- copd (an asthma like disease) lung cancer laryngeal cancer esophageal cancer bladder cancer increasd risk of heart attack increased risk of paralytic attack (stroke) and many more.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I have a problem with negative feelings. Could you Please help me how to avoid negative feelings.

Ph. D - Psychology, Professional Certified Coach
Psychologist, Ahmedabad
When line of negativity feels long and strong. Slowly one need to work on building positivity back. I will suggest you few things below, in coprorating them slowly in your day will help you make this transition. If you have something which happend recently which is making you feel negative then may be you need to talk to someone about it specifically to figure out the best way to deal with the situation. What you are feeling is conic stress due to our fast life style. You could also this as feeling burnout. To begin with doing guided progressive muscular relaxation before sleeping will help you relax. You good google and download an audio file. I would also suggest you to take a multiple small break to take 3 nice and deep breath while keeping your eyes closed. You could do this while sitting or standing or while even walking or climbing stairs (keep your eyes open in that case). When you take a nice and deep break there is actual physiological change in your body. Thus will help you to activate parasympathetic nervous system which promotes relaxation and helps you calm down and think more clearly. This will also actually improve your performance in your work. Along with this exercise is one of the best way to relive stress and stay fit. Engage in any kind of physical activity at least 4 times a week. This also helps in stress reduction. Along with this some relaxation exercises as well as engaging in joyful activities such as music, singing, dancing, reading, being in nature, gardening, talking with friends or anything which you enjoy will help reducing stress and rejuvenation of your mind and body. Have good routine for sleep and eating. Lot of research has now proven that sugar is very harmful for our health. Reduce sugar and refined white floor in your diet as much as you could. Along with this also increase consumption of raw vegetables in the form of salad in both the meals of your day. If you need help in exploring what works best for you and make this into your life style do let me know. As a trained wellness coach I could help you tailored your own holistic wellness program. Hope this helps if you are interested in short 4 to 8 week resilience training you may contact me. Wishing you very best.
12 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

How increase my memory because some time I forget many things and I relies some time after.

Homeopath, Faridabad
Hi, Increase the intake of healthy, nutritious food, avoid having junk, fried, fatty food. Management: -Meditate for at least 15 to 30 minutes each day physically changes your brain, making you less anxious, and more rational and empathetic. -Besides increasing your physical strength and flexibility, yoga changes your brain. Research suggests that in addition to reducing stress, anxiety, and depression, yoga protects the brain from shrinking with age. -Exercise daily as it would can help offset the cognitive decline brought on by aging and increasingly sedentary lifestyles. -Get enough sleep. On average, adults need between 7.5 and 9 hours of sleep each night. When you aren’t getting enough sleep, it affects your brain’s ability to do this, and your memory suffers. -Spend time with people whose company you enjoy, and who make you feel like the best version of you. -laughter can improve short-term memory in older adults. -Cutting down on your use of technology (i.e. sitting in front of your computer, phone, or tablet) for even 30 minutes can improve your brain health and help you think more deeply. Medication: Take homoeopathic medicine for increasing memory - Anacardium 200/ once daily.
3 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I' am 25 year old male. I' m consuming lonazep tablets-0. 5 mg for depression for past two months. Now i' m feeling better and thus I have tappered the dosage to 0. 25 mg. Is it safer to consume this tablet for longer course like 3 months.

MD - Psychiatry, MBBS
Psychiatrist, Hyderabad
Lonazep is not a antidepressant. It can only control your anxiety temporarily like paracetamol for fever as long as your are taking the medicine you are better. You can get addicted to it. You need to be on antidepressant. Contact a psychiatrist
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Mother feels discomfort and depressed. She doesn't get sleep although she doesn't have any sort of tension.

Psychiatrist, Bangalore
Dear lybrate-user, Diabetes and depression go together in many persons. Depression is a disorder of brain chemicals causing feelings. It does not come through only tension. Please request your doctor to refer her to psychiatrist or let him/her consult a psychiatrist on your mother's behalf. She may be given an antidepressant in addiction to other medicines. Let her not try any sleeping tablets on her own. Unless depression is treated, she will not be able to sleep with sleeping tablets also.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am 19 years old girl and I have a problem of regular head ache? I feel very tensed and stressed due to some reasons. Is dat the reason for my headache? ND what I do to get relief.

Psychiatrist, Delhi
I cannot comment with such short case history, that what are the reasons causing headache. But yes stress causes headache, and that too very frequently. And most of the time it is misdiagnosed. So unnessarry lots of pain killers and anti-migraine pills are prescribed. So better to meet a psychiatrist to resolve your issues.
4 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Early Signs You Might Develop a Mental Disorder Later in Life

Psychiatrist, Mumbai
Early Signs You Might Develop a Mental Disorder Later in Life

Warning Signs of Mental Illness

The mind or the brain is the master computer, the site of our consciousness, thoughts and memories. We often tend to think of our mind as a separate entity, but the mind and the body are linked and just like our body, the mind too is susceptible to illnesses. The idea of mental illness makes us feel vulnerable and helpless and we dismiss the possibility of mental illness as something that “will not happen to me” or “is in my control”. But like all other illnesses, mental disorders too, are ultimately not in our control. More importantly, they are readily treatable with medications and therapy.

Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions/disorders that affect our mood, thinking and behavior. They include depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, eating disorders, alcohol/drugs abuse and many others. All of us feel sad, anxious, stressed and have occasional sleepless nights. So when does a mental health concern become a problem? When the signs and symptoms persist and affect our regular day-to-day activities, it’s probably time to seek help.

Awareness is the first step to treatment. Learning about the signs and symptoms will allow you to seek help early and get back to a healthy and happy life.

If several of the following symptoms are recurring, it is advisable to consult a mental health professional.

1. Withdrawal: Recent social withdrawal and lack of interest in others are a common sign that you may have a problem in hand.

2. Drop in functioning: There is a sudden unusual drop in functioning at school, work or other social activities such as withdrawing from sports, failing in school or difficulty in performing ordinary tasks.

3. The problem with thinking: You face complications with concentration, memory or rational thoughts and speech that are hard to explain.

4. Increased sensitivity: There is a heightened sensitivity to sights, sounds, smells or physical contact and a tendency to avoid stimulating situations.

5. Apathy: There is a loss of desire or initiative to participate in any social activity.

6. Feeling disconnected: You experience a vague feeling of detachment from yourself or your surrounding and a sense of unreality encircles you (paranoia or hallucinations).

7. Illogical thinking: You have an exaggerated belief about your personal powers to understand meanings or influence events. You suffer from irrational or magical thinking, typical of childhood in an adult.

8. Nervousness: You have a feeling of fear, you are skeptical of others or have a strong nervous feeling.

9. Sleep or appetite changes: You experience sleep disorders, significant tiredness and appetite changes and even decline in personal care.

10. Mood swings: There are rapid or dramatic shifts in feelings ranging from excessive anger; hostility or violence to suicidal thoughts.


Related Tip: Multi-Tasking Can Damage Your Brain and Career in These 3 Shocking Ways.

4207 people found this helpful

Hi, I always feel tired and sleepy, I do not feel active when I need to do some physical work. Whenever I think of working out I get tired soon after I start it. And I do have anxiety issue also. Please help me. This can be cured by following some diet and routine or should I consult a specialist?

Dietitian/Nutritionist, Chandigarh
Hi, lack of energy could be owing to a host of reasons--nutrient deficiencies, sporadic sleep cycles, under-eating and subsequently overeating, dehydration, skipping breakfast to name only a few reasons. To regain energy, ensure you drink ample water through the day and that your meals are wholesome and complete and that your daily diet includes fruits and fresh vegetables. Hope this helps.
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am aged 38. I have been married for 12 years. I lost interest in sex even since I came to know that my husband is a womanizer. But has been just offering myself physically due to fear of breaking marriage. I have two kids now. Somehow hate when he tries to have sex with me. He has no feelings towards me but just want to try out mechanically as if I am an object. How do I get rid of this. He never understands. Feel like divorcing him. As there is no bonding but is forced to stay back due to financial burden as I have two kids (I also work and earn well). How to get rid of such difficult situations?Please help sir .

Diploma in Family Medicine, M.Sc - Psychotherapy
Sexologist, Pune
Hello Ms. Lybrate-user I can understand your turmoil and suffering. I will just suggest a few pointers 1: it is natural for you to feel the loathing towards a womanizer husband. You mentioned you submit to him just to keep the marriage. 2: think about this, normally two people marry and it is expected that they satisfy each other's sexual needs. As long as you feel you loathe him. Your sexual experience is only filled with your hatred for him and thus. A self loathing towards yourself! ask yourself do you hate your self for being and remaining in this situation? 3: if you decided to push aside his womanizing patterns, is he a good husband to you and good provider for his children and you? can you recall any romantic or feelings of love for him? 4: if the answer is negative, and as you said you are earning well yourself, the next question is" why are you opting out to stay with him and hurt yourself by hating him? because your hatred hurts only you and not him. He is enjoying his life assuming you are fine with it the way it is or you can not stop him. 5: so you have a choice to make. There is no medication, no miracle cures, or no god or or saints even black magic to cure him of his womanizing. Either you stay in this marriage and hurt your own self or you get out of it and find your own peace of mind. 6: children always adapt as they grow and some day when you look back they will understand and in fact protect you.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am getting depressed because my gf cheated on me I feel like my BP is low and I am not able to focus on anything please give me suggestions.

MBBS, MD - Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Bangalore
Hello, you seem to be going through a rough phase in life. Why do not you visit a psychiatrist and get some counselling done. It will help you to cope with the issue. And remember" this too shall pass" concentrate on yourself for sometime. You can't change what happened but you can make sure it won't be something that will ruin you. You present and future is in your hands.
2 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

I am 22 year old I have a bad habit of smoking earlier I use to smoke only one cigarette now I smoke 6-8 cigarette daily what to do and how to over come this?

C.S.C, D.C.H, M.B.B.S
General Physician,
STOP SMOKING Best age to stop smoking is before 40, In fact do not start all Only by using strong will power and avoiding all situations where you feel like smoking, chewing tobacco or drinking or using drugs avoiding friends who smoke and diverting mind by reading or chewing a gum, like NICORETTE and taking a walk when you crave for a smoke can all help. You can chew Nicorette gum which is nicotine replacement. There are medicines available. Which can be prescribed if asked personally Cigarette smoking is a leading preventable cause of mortality. It kills more than 60 lakh people worldwide every year. More than 50% of regular smokers would invariably die from tobacco-related illnesses which includes heart attack, cancer or asthmatic lung diseases. Best age to stop smoking is before 40 31st May is “World No Tobacco Day” Quitting smoking before the age of 40 is associated with larger decline in premature death than stopping it at a later date. Best age therefore to stop smoking is before 40. However, stopping smoking even after the age of 50 is still associated with lower risk of death as compared to those who continue to smoke. Even in smokers aged 80 years or more, quitting smoking appears to reduce some mortality.
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Is there is a way to clean your lungs . For a person smoking . Or a doctor can do it.

Reparenting Technique, BA, BEd
Psychologist, Bangalore
The tobacco tar in cigarette smoke lines your lung with huge patches that make that portion dysfunctional. Your oxygen carrying capacity is jeopardized, and breathing is impinged. But don’t be discouraged because it is not too late even now to reverse all the ill-effects of smoking. I don’t know what other organs could be damaged but do go for a thorough medical check up to assess the effects of your abuse. Regarding improving your lungs, do a lot of aerobic exercise breathing through your nostrils only. Then there are a lot of deep breathing exercises in Yoga which you can learn too. Deep breathing cleanses your system and lungs and restores it to good health. Deep breathing uses the 80% of the lungs which are not normally used in normal breathing and even when exerting yourself. The greatest effect is in the lungs because this substance is processed through the respiratory system directly through the lung surface. You should start vigorous exercises, gradually increasing it over a period of time.
1 person found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Respected doctors, I am a male of 29 years of age, I am suffering from generalized anxiety disorder feeling like I am in a dream like state, light headed, foggy vision, stiff head, head feeling numb, depersonalization, tough to carry on life since 1 and half year. One of psychiatrist tell me that I had taken lots of medicine as I was hospitalized 3 times in a year and therefore depersonalised has taken place and feeling numbness in head due to heavy medicine and waves r feeling in my head. Eat healthy sleep healthy will create stamina and slowly your anxiety will be improved. please answer.

BASM, MD, MS (Counseling & Psychotherapy), MSc - Psychology, Certificate in Clinical psychology of children and Young People, Certificate in Psychological First Aid, Certificate in Positive Psychology
Psychologist, Palakkad
Dear Viraj, General Anxiety disorder treatment consists of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, life style changes, relaxation therapy and meditation. Once you learn how to manage your anxiety yourself with the help of the above treatment methods, You will be cured. The process is a bit lengthy and could take any period between one year to 2 years according to the depth of the anxiety problem and the circumstances at which the patient lives. Keep the period of treatment in mind, prepare yourself to take up the treatment and consult a psychologist online or in person. Take care.
8 people found this helpful
Submit FeedbackFeedback

Dear sir/ madam I am 46 years old guy and have ocd issues (washing hands) I have worked for 3 1/2 years all put together since I passed my diploma in mechanical engineering. I am unmarried and desperate to marry too. My issue is I have very poor memory and concentration I have ocd as mentioned before I have inferiority complex I lack confidence I would like to gain confidence which affects me a lot. Due to above issues I am unable to perform on the job I request you to suggest me accordingly.

MD - Psychiatry
Psychiatrist, Chennai
Some quacks in the forum who do not know anything about OCD r advising as I see. OCD is due to serotonergic transmission changes in the brain (mind). It is diagnosed by a psychiatrist, treatment involves both medications and behavior therapy. So kindly get your symptoms evaluated by a psychiatrist, and he will guide you what to do. All the best.
Submit FeedbackFeedback
View All Feed