Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Jarhad VinayakYour feedback matters!
Being away or oblivious to social media is synonymous to not following the herd. Social media probably is no more the latest fad; it is the given code to take a deeper look into the present age. The rewarding fact about social networking sites is their ability to transport us to people and places millions of miles away from us. This epoch dictates of overproduction and maximum utilization of labor and snatches away the boon of communication.
Below mentioned points showcase how social media addiction negatively affects our mental health:
- Peer Pressure- Social media use also creates the fear of missing out because you want to do what everyone else is doing. This evokes anxiety and will give rise to negative feelings and emotions, which again create mental health problems and stress and anxiety disorders
- Fatigue and Stress- When you are using social media, you are constantly switching from one task to another because there is just so much to do and see. This information abundance can tire out your brain, especially when it is received chaotically. Your brain needs time and room for absorbing the data and processing the information, but multitasking on social media makes your brain work overtime. This can prevent it from relaxing and it will become exhausted as it tries to deal with the barrage of information. Hence, the fatigue puts your mind under a lot of stress and you may not be able to concentrate on anything at all.
- Social Anxiety- Even though the whole point of social media is to allow people to stay connected with others, it doesn’t have the same satisfaction and element associated with actual human interaction, which is a crucial human need. In fact, in some ways, it is too distant and this is not a good thing for those who become dependent on social media as it can lead to social anxiety. Those who are already suffering from this problem will find it even more difficult to indulge in face-to-face interaction. Real human interaction can become extremely scary for people as it is becoming common to hide behind your computer screens and not go out at all.
- Distraction- Social media is just tailor-made for decreasing our productivity because you spend hours looking at everyone else’s life when you could be doing something else. This means that most of your time is spent on viewing photos, liking posts, and writing comments and these activities don’t really require the use of your intellectual abilities. They aren’t intellectual at all and distract you from activities that are such as reading, studying informational articles on the internet, etc. Your brain doesn’t get enough food for development and your intellectual abilities can decline in this way. Your brain will slow down and not be able to respond quickly in various situations.
- Insecurity- One of the major problems with social media is that posts typically present an idealized version of what’s going on in everyone’s life. Usually, what you see isn’t actually reality because everyone has their problems and issues. Nevertheless, you end up comparing your own life with that of others and think less of your own. If people in your newsfeed seem to be having a good time, it will make you envious and affect your mood negatively. Research has shown that widespread use of social media can demotivate people, make them aggressive and cause a decline in confidence.
So are you being adversely affected by social media? Here are some signs to look out for:
- Low self-esteem.
- Feeling low when you see other people's images and lifestyle.
- Envy of others people lives - wishing your life was like someone else's.
- Finding social media as your first and only choice of activity done for enjoyment.
- Not having as many face to face conversations with your relatives and friends and feeling disconnected.
- Being unable to do anything without feeling you need to share it online. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
I normally use ciggerates. Sometimes I also use alcohols and mostly I chew tobacco all the times. How do I get rid of them. Kindly suggest me.
I dont know whats happening with me.I have been betrayed twice third time if i will be i will get depressed completly.Sometimes even if do correct things people speak different things about,even though i am truth parents dont believe me,dey dont only trust me .I have gone mad.I feel like hurting myself,because noone understands me.What should i do?
Sometimes I'm unable to concentrate on any work. My mind set is like why I am alive the reason is recently I got brk up.
My Daughter got love marriage in March-2013 age 18 & struggling to survive with her family. We want to complete her education but the relatives are against education. We cant help & my wife is suffering from migraine attacks due the situation. What to do? Please suggest.
Seems my wife suffering from depression. She gets angry every time on me and kids. Don't like to keep relationship with in laws. Like to be biased towards her family, don't like to focus on work as housewife.
Sir I feel tension n I n depressed by unemployment I did not remember essential things or work so what should I do.
I am unable to concentrate on studies. I am always getting disturbed by some foolish and unuseful thoughts. What should I do to concentrate on studies?
I have some anxiety problems. Can I take Amixide H for anxiety as no other medicine like melzap or alprazolam suits me? Due to anxiety, my blood pressure always becomes elevated.
Hi This is Vibhu I am 35 years old. I am facing a problem since my marriage. I am in quite depression because me and my wife are not staying together actually she is working out of the city the city is far away from town. This is a problem some other problems I have quoted below pls advise me what is solution. 1. There were some disputes at time of our marriage e. G. Cash transaction and some other issues related to dowry. 2.she doesn't want to stay with my parents in a single minutes she said they are fraudy people. 3. My salary is not enough to survive. 4.she has got government teaching job just after our marriage. 5. She misguiding her parents about me and my parent. 6.in my point of view she wants avoid to stay with us whereas my parents full filling all facilities to stay cool and happy together. So platelet me know what to do now.
Hi I'm a male is or does drinking buttermilk or curd is good for health and skin does it keep or help our skin healthy and our body healthy? Should we drink buttermilk and curd to keep us healthy and keep our body and skin healthy and glowing please tel me plz.
Hi I am 24 year girl from last few months am feeling alone, neglected by everyone. Its like nobody needs me. My boyfriend ignoring me, if I am doing anything good for my family members they pretend like it was not good effort. Recently I got fired from my company just because of my angerness I really dont know what should I do I feel like no body can understnad me I dont know why always people shows that I am the one who will never right decision in life. Please help
Alternating between being happy and sad as you go through life's ups and downs is normal, but if you're sad most of the time, it could be a sign of being depressed. Depression takes the joy out of all your activities, and can make merely getting through a day feel overwhelming. The first step to overcome this problem is to understand its symptoms and causes. Not everyone experiences depression the same way, but here are a few questions that can help tell you if you are depressed or not.
Do you feel helpless?
It is common for depressed people to feel helpless and that everything around them is out of their control. As a result, the person may either stop participating in activities all together or try to control things they can't. Both situations are cyclic and lead to further depression.
Have you lost interest in daily activities?
The feeling of helplessness is one of the main reasons depressed people lose interest in activities. Another reason is that activities that were once enjoyed now do not seem interesting enough. In most cases, this leads to the person isolating himself and withdrawing from all his family and friends.
Do you often feel angry or irritated?
Depression is almost always accompanied by irritability and anger. Small annoyances that would usually be overlooked quickly, take on an inappropriate significance. This can lead to poor impulse control, substance abuse and anxiety disorder. In most cases, anger and depression are related by the person trying to take accountability for things that are out of his control and hence feeling helpless.
Is there a change in your sleep pattern?
Your sleep quality is very closely related to the way you feel. Depressed people often suffer either from insomnia or oversleeping. Depressed people can have trouble going to sleep as well as staying asleep. This can cause drowsiness and lethargy during the day. Sleep apnea is also linked with depression. As you can imagine, if this is left untreated, it will only worsen your depression.
Do you feel tired?
When the body does not get adequate sleep, you begin the day feeling tired. Thus depressed people often feel fatigued and complain of a number of muscle and joint pains. This is because the body has not had enough time to regenerate cells during the night. This is usually complemented by complains of persistent headaches and stomach aches, both of which are emotionally connected to the way you feel.
The nature of depression is such that it lowers a person's self esteem to the point of interfering with his ability to seek help. Hence if you have a positive response to the above questions, it is time to address your problem before it worsens. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychologist.
How can I increase my memory. I lost the things from my mind immediately if I have read it much more time, or rather it is a normal daily life thing my mind not gonna carry it Please suggest something.
- There are two level of your mind: conscious or subconscious.
- You think with your conscious mind & whatever you habitually think sinks down into your subconscious mind, which create according to the nature of your thoughts.
- Subsconscious mind is the seat of your emotions & is the creative mind. If you think good, good will follow; if you think evil, evil will follow. This is the way your mind works.
- Your subconscious mind accepts what is impressed upon it or what you consciously believe. It does not reason things out like your conscious mind,& it does not argue with you controversially.
- Your subconscious mind is like a soil, which accepts any kind of seed, good or bad.
Your thoughts are active and might be likened unto seeds. Negative, destructive
thoughts continue to work negatively in your subconscious mind, and in due time will come forth into outer experience which corresponds with them.
- Subsconsious mind does not engage in proving whether your thoughts are good or bad, true or false, but it responds according to the nature of your thoughts or suggestions. Example if you consciously assume something as true, even though it may be false, your subsconscious mind will accepts it as true and proceed to bring about results, which must necessarily follow, because you consciously assumed it to be true.
- The law of your mind is this: you will get a reaction or response from your subsconscious mind according to the nature of the thought you hold your conscious mind.