Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Pune. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Leg Pain
Treatment of Knee Pain
Treatment of Hand Pain
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Treatment of Foot Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Bone Fracture
Treatment of Arm Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Finger Pain
Treatment of Hip Pain
Treatment of Heel Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Elbow Pain
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Strains
Treatment of Slip Disc
Treatment of Ankle Sprain
Submit a review for Dr. Dinesh Raman PatilYour feedback matters!
Pain causes a lot of discomfort in the body no matter whether the pain is in the back, legs or in the head. Almost all people experience lower-back pain at some point in their lives, which can be extremely painful and can cause considerable annoyance. The first medical specialty that comes to mind for relief of lower-back pain is Orthopedics. The other two specialists that play a vital role in treating lower-back pain are the neurosurgeons and the physiatrists.
Pain in the Back
It is very difficult for the body to source the pain when it is deep and this pain could be due to infection, disease or injuries in the back, stomach and heart. It is even possible that the pain radiates to different places in the body. Often back pain is accompanied by body changes like redness, fever, neurological problems, heat, and changes in body functions and for that diagnosis of the back pain may be very severe. Patients suffering from lower-back pain and with symptoms that comprise of weakness in the foot or other symptoms of a neurologic insufficiency must definitely see a neurosurgeon.
Back pain that occurs due to reversible problems is known to vanish in a few hours or in a day. However, if it continues longer and is accompanied by body changes, then there are chances that the condition can become worse. You must consult your doctor for back pain, if any of such characteristics are witnessed. It is always better to get evaluated by a physician.
When to Consult a Doctor Immediately
- Back pain that is followed by a shock like a car accident.
- The pain in the back worsens and is constant
- Back pain continues for more than 4-6 weeks
- The pain does not improve even after taking typical remedies such as taking pain relievers or after resting.
- Severe pain in the back in the night and that is alleviated by rest
- The back pain is accompanied by abdominal pain
- Numbness in the upper thighs, buttocks, groin or in the genital area
- Weakness or tingling sensation in the arm or legs
Role of a Neurosurgeon
The neurosurgeon provides non-surgical as well surgical care depending upon the nature of the illness or the injury, and he does not just operate. The neurosurgeons are experts and offer treatment to patients suffering from any spine injury or disease, brain or peripheral nerves that deal with arms, hands, feet and legs. But there are many other neurosurgeons that confine their practice to treating back pain.
I had cervical laminectomy 1 and half month ago. Suddenly today my left arm which is weak previously, is feeling numb and current type sensation is there. Also same is there in left leg's three fingers. Why is it? What to do? Please help.
I am suffering from pain in my wrists since 4 months after having chikungunya fever which lasted for a week although the fever is gone since a while but this pain in joints in not going please tell me what is it and how to be treated?
Hello. If I run My legs and knees start paining and also my chest (lightly. Why is it so? Please help.
I have got the problem of oral submucous fibrosis band in my mouth, voice is changing and have some pain in ear a little bit problem in swalloing and have light in neck.
I am sugar patient and my legs are paining so much and thought so that I can feel my bones when I step down on the ground.
I have knock knee problem and I want to join Indian Army so what should we do to remove this problem pls give me some suggestions.
I am 26 year old guy I experience unbearable pain in my knee when I try to stand up after sitting for a long time. It doesn't pain while walking. What should I do please help.
My wife of age 42 has undergone a severe back pain at lumbar side. The pain is in between L4-L5. The MRI shows that there is a stenosis in L4-L5. She is advised to do surgery, but we are not willing to do surgery. She is exercising every day regularly for the same. The pain is in right leg to sciatica nerve. Tell me that it should be operated or not to operate? Or whether it will be relaxed by regular exercise?
I have lost my heel, badly damaged ankle and lower limbs. Consequently I can not walk barefooted and I always need to wear modified shoes, Is there treatment possible so that I can replace my heel with artificial one?
I have got undisplaced intercondylar fracture of tibia 3 weeks back. Ryt now there is no pain and swelling. I have been in bed rest since 3 weeks and now started doing SLR exercises. I want to know from when I can put weight on my knees and starts walking?
My legs are paining too much since 3 month and more. I am a taxi driver. But now the pain is increasing day by day. My age is 25 years and my blood group A+
Most of us, experience back pain due to incorrect posture or longer duration of sitting.
Sometimes you may experience back pain because of exertion - you spent the entire day doing the same kind of job or maybe you bent in a wrong manner while picking up your child. However, the actual cause of your spinal agony may not be very clear, but it pays to be aware of the possible reasons that can cause backache. It is good to consult a doctor if your back pain is consistent and recurrent.
Here are few of the causes:
1. The position of your pelvis: The pelvis consists of three bones that can shift depending on which muscles become weak or stiff. This brings about a pull in the muscle of the lower back, resulting in severe strain to this area. You should consult a physiotherapist for suggestions regarding the best exercises for strengthening your pelvic area.
2. Weak abdominal muscles: A cause of your back pain can be weak stomach muscles. Abdominal muscles play an important role in balancing out the constant bending that your back muscles perform. When you've weak abdominal muscles, your spine is not able to maintain proper balance, resulting in severe stress on the spinal column.
3. Disc injuries: Located between the bones of your spine, discs perform the function of a shock absorber. Physical injury to these padded cushions can cause them to break open, leading to a condition known as herniated disc. This can then bring about pain in the back area.
Few other causes behind back pain
- Weak back muscles
- Weak osteoporotic back bones
- Disc disease
- Facet joint arthopathy (degenerative or traumatic )
- Sacro Iliac joint pain
- Infection of the spinal bones
- Most of us, experience back pain due to incorrect posture or longer duration of sitting. Some people inherit back pain. Degenerative disc disease can be genetic or inherited. That is why we see degenerative spinal changes causing chronic back pain in some young age group patients without any apparent cause.
- Cancers which can be primary or metastasis
Few precautions that can be taken for a hurting back. Despite the causes, there are certain precautions that you can take, which are:
- Avoid sitting in a bad posture, that is, keep your back straight as much as you can. Pull and stretch your body in continual intervals to keep it relaxed.
- Consult the right physician instead of doing exercise that can aggravate your pain.
- Take a break from work and go for short walks, every couple of hours.
Most often back pain will resolve itself in 3 to 6 weeks time and does not need to be treated. Please note, bed rest of no more than 2 days is required. Bed rest may weaken the back muscles and prolong back pain. If the back pain continues or increases, investigations are required. Expensive Investigations like MRI is usually over prescribed and will be needed only if neuro deficit is present or infection is suspected.
- Physical rehabilitation and Pain medication like NSAID.
- Neuropathic pain medications for neural compression (gabapentin or pregabalin).
Minimally invasive procedures which have revolutionised the treatment for back pain and saved millions from spinal surgeries include
- Radiofrequency ablation treatment for Facet pain
- Transforaminal blocks for nerve compression
- SCS for chronic back pain
- Intra thecal pumps
- Intradiscal Radiofrequency procedures. ( this procedure makes the disc painless ).
Surgery should be the last option and should be restricted to patients having progressive neuro deficit. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Pain Management Specialist.
I have a back pain when I wake up early for in the morning and I want to loose my weight. Please give me suggestions.
A slipped disc, also known as a prolapsed disc or herniated disc, is the term given to the phenomenon that occurs when a cartilaginous disc found between the vertebrae in the spine becomes slightly displaced or protrudes, thereby pressing on the nerves in the adjacent areas and causing back pain.
This happens when the soft inner part of the disc, known as nucleus pulposus, bulges out through a weakness in the exterior part of the disc. A prolapsed disc usually occurs in the lower region of the spine and can be of varying sizes. There might even be the development of inflammation around the disc in some cases.
Who is likely to get affected?
Most cases of herniated disc occur in patients between the ages of 30 and 50. The number of men affected is twice as many as the number of women.
Although the root cause of this problem is not yet known, there are a number of factors that may trigger it. These factors include working at a job that requires a lot of lifting, an occupation that involves remaining in a seated position for a long time, weight-bearing sports, obesity, smoking habits and increasing age.
Effective ways of treating the problem
The different methods that are commonly used to treat the problem are:
- Medications - There are many different kinds of medicines that are effective in providing relief. These include painkillers, muscles relaxants, anti-inflammatory pills, etc.
- Spinal injections - A number of spinal injections are used to treat slipped discs. The injection is done at the opening where the inflamed nerve roots are found and reduces pain, swelling and irritation in the area.
- Radiofrequency ablation - This procedure makes use of an electrical current produced by radio waves to reduced pain and sensitivity in the affected area.
- Ozone discectomy - As opposed to the surgical removal of the prolapsed disc, this new process makes use of an ozone-oxygen mixture that is injected into the spine to treat the problem. Many international studies have proved its superiority to traditional methods and surgeries.
Those affected by this problem are advised to keep exercising and continuing with their everyday activities as best as possible. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Pain Management Specialist.
Researchers believe that not much can be done for providing you relief to a great extent, in case you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. But, they also say that a lot can be controlled by changing your diet. There are certain foods, which are known to add on to the problem of arthritis. These foods increase the pain of arthritis. However, there are also certain foods, which are known to cause relief to the patients by reducing the pain and getting rid of the factors causing it.
It has been a common practice that people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are constantly trying to ease its symptoms with food and by taking dietary supplements. There are several studies that indicate a connection between certain types of foods and the inflammation. This inflammation characterises the autoimmune condition. But, it is always advisable that you must consult your doctor before embarking on a new diet chart or taking supplements. Therefore, the best approach towards curing this disease with the help of foods is to take a well-balanced diet.
Foods that can help fight Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Omega-3 fatty acids: It is important that your diet includes cold-water fish as herring, mackerel, trout, salmon and tuna. These fish have omega-3 fatty acids. This is known to have anti-inflammatory effect on the patient. Fish oil can provide relief in joint pain and help in easing morning stiffness. You may also consult your doctor to know whether you can or should take fish oil supplements. The doctor will prescribe you the dosages, depending upon your joint pain. But you should also remember, higher doses of the supplements can have negative effect. They tend to react with other drugs and increase blood pressure.
- Fibres, Whole grain: You must increase the amount of fibre in your diet. So, don’t forget to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. This will help in reducing the inflammation. Fibre is known to lower the levels of C-reactive protein in the patient’s blood stream. It is an indicator for inflammation in the body.
- Extra virgin olive oil: This will reduce inflammation. It works in the similar fashion as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen works. Researchers believe that virgin olive oil contains a compound called oleocanthal. This compound blocks the enzymes that is known to cause inflammation.
- Vitamin D: You must have foods rich in vitamin D that is usually linked to calcium and provides protection against osteoporosis. Talk to your doctor, if you are needed to have vitamin D supplements.
Foods That Can Cause Inflammation
There are certain foods that can increase the inflammation and the pain. The inflammation is increased by meats, protein-rich foods, like pulses, etc. Also, omega-6 fatty acids containing foods such s corn, soyabean, etc. can make things worse. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.