Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Flexible Partial Dentures Procedure
Acrylic Dentures Procedure
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Bad breath is a condition that is also known as Halitosis in medical terms. It is mostly caused by the sulphur producing bacteria that lurk around beneath the surface of the tongue. This is what produces the foul odour. These bacteria grow with the help of protein that gets deposited in your mouth, and may develop even faster when there is poor oral hygiene at play. The causes of this protein deposit may include food debris, bleeding, mucus blood, infection and disease in the gums or oral tissues.
So how can you naturally combat this bad breath problem? Read on!
- Oral Care Products: Your very first step should be to change your oral hygiene products like toothpastes and mouthwashes in order to bring in products that are specifically used for fighting bad breath and the related causes or problems. Brushing and flossing at least twice a day, or even after every meal is an absolute necessity that one must not compromise on.
- Fibre Rich Food: It is important to have plenty of fibre rich food as this helps in preventing bad breath or Halitosis since the fibre content is known to flush toxins out effectively.
- Junk and Processed Food: Food that has too much of sugar or artificial sweeteners and food that is packaged and processed with artificial flavourings and emulsifiers, can be bad for the digestive system in general. This kind of food also tends to create bad breath and should be avoided in case you are already suffering from this condition.
- Medication: it may come as a surprise to you that there are certain medicines like antidepressants and diuretics that can lead to side effects like drying of the mouth, which in turn can cause a problem of bad breath. So, it would be recommended to steer clear of this kind of medication for a while until the bad breath problem abates.
- Tea: Drinking green and black tea can be beneficial for people suffering from this condition as both these types of tea happen to contain substances known as polyphenols that can help in fighting oral bacteria and sulphur compounds. Apart from this, one must also drink plenty of water in order to keep the mouth fresh and to help the digestion work in a better.
- Dentures and Braces: If you happen to be wearing dentures and braces, then you may want to clean these regularly and maintain good oral hygiene so that you do not suffer from bad breath.
Bad breath can be a confidence killer and one should get it checked in case it is a persistent and prolonged problem.
Hi I wear braces and I brush twice a day. But I ate at least 5 times a day. So even if I rinse properly, a few food particles still get stuck to my wires. I need your advice on how to deal with situation and how can this affect my treatment?
I had dental treatment 2 years ago. It was ortho treatment. After treatment I am facing problem of yellowness in teeth. And sometimes bleeding in gums. What can I do to get rid of it?
Practice Good Oral Hygiene
If you’re suffering from bad breath problems, it is important that you brush and floss twice a day. Use fluoride-based toothpaste that will help you to keep your mouth clean and remove food debris and plaque. It is also important to brush your teeth before you go to bed because bacteria can grow in your mouth while you’re asleep. It is also important that you scrape your tongue to remove any residue that may be building up after you eat your meals.
Keep Your Mouth Moist
Keeping your mouth moist is another way to eliminate bad breath issues which is why you need to ensure that you drink good amount of water throughout the day. Drinking adequate amount of water will help you stay hydrated as well. You can also chew sugarless chewing gums or candies that can stimulate production of saliva in your mouth to wash away food particles and bacteria. Choose chewing gums that have xylitol are always recommended.
Watch What You Eat
Certain foods can trigger bad breath in your mouth and therefore you need to keep log of what food you eat. This will help you to narrow down certain food items that worsen your bad breath problems. Similarly, there are certain medications that also trigger mouth odour, hence it is recommended that you talk about it with your dentist. Stay away from tobacco products and avoid smoking which also leads to bad breath issues.
We recommend that you visit your dentist regularly, at least twice a year to conduct an oral exam and professional teeth cleaning and to ensure that your mouth is clean and healthy. Your dentist will also be able to help you know whether the bad breath problem is due to general health conditions or triggered due to any food item or medications.