Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. D. M. Dhawale
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. D. M. DhawaleYour feedback matters!
I am suffering from chronic depression. I was diagnosed with obsessive psychotic spectrum and on the treatment for the same. I take 50 mg quetiapine for sleep. But its making me dizzy all day. I cannot discontinue it as I get nightmares and headache throughout the day. I started it at a dose of 200 mg but I have tapered it to a dose of 50 mg. Please help. I have my mbbs final exam in 20 days. I can not seem to cope up with the stress and the psychosis and the obsessions right now.
My father has irregular heartbeat problem .24 hrs holter monitoring report shows irregular heartbeat problem and 2.5 sec pause in heartbeat. Doctor suggesting for pace maker .but he has high blood pressure and anxiety problem .can you telling me alternative way out for irregular heartbeat problem .it's will be relief for us.
Mental illness affects the patient as well as the immediate family. Once the affected member has been diagnosed with a mental illness, his family members find it difficult to accept this situation. They are in a state of denial. This state later gives way to feelings of frustration, resentment, anger and helplessness.
To overcome these feelings, it is important for the family to move beyond the mental illness of its relative and not away from him. The family members must accept the reality that someone among them is ill and it is their duty to help him recover from his mental illness.
Effect of social stigma
- Unfortunately, mental illness draws social stigma. Many relatives of mentally ill people who are afflicted do not discuss their predicament with others. The reason is not too hard to discover- large sections of society think that mental illness is something very horrible. Very few people know that psychiatric disorders are treatable and they are as good or bad a disease as others.
- Strangely, while the society comes out in support of people suffering from cancer and other life-threatening diseases, in cases of mental illness it adopts a position of aloofness. The underlying thought in the minds of people is that there must be something wrong in the family of the mental illness patient.
- The net result is that the family withdraws from the society and gets into a shell. Guests are not invited over on social occasions and it often happens that the family gets into depression.
- Coping with frustration and helplessness
- Psychiatrists also point out to another range of emotions affecting the family members of a mentally ill person- feelings of frustration, helplessness and anger.
- Imagine a situation where a schizophrenic child is unable to perform even normal tasks, such as eating food. The parent will try to convince the child to have her food but the mentally ill child cannot perform even that basic function. Unless the parent understands that this is not a normal child, she will continue to try to feed it. The child will, on the other hand, resist. This will continue till the time when the parent gets frustrated and angry at her child’s behaviour. The parent will wonder why her child is not having the food by herself.
- This situation will not arise if the parent and other family members accept that the child is ill and needs medical intervention.
- This feeling can later lead to a sense of resentment and anger. Family ties can be ruptured because the members would begin to think that their social activities depend upon the medical condition of their sick family member who needs constant attention.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!