Lybrate.com has top trusted ENT Specialists from across India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Charudatta Apte
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Charudatta ApteYour feedback matters!
Jayavant H Mohite
Tinnitus is a disorder which is characterized by a constant perception of a ringing noise in the ears. This is not the condition in itself, rather it signals some other underlying condition such as an ear injury or age related hearing loss. It is not a serious condition, although the symptoms can worsen with age. If you are affected by this disorder, you might experience or ‘hear’ a constant ringing sensation in the ears, even if there are no external sources of noise. These sounds could range from being a buzzing, ringing, to a hissing sound. This condition has mighty chances of interfering with your daily routine.
It is classified into two types:
- Objective tinnitus: This disorder is caused by muscle contractions or a blood vessel problem.
- Subjective tinnitus: The more commonly occurring type, it is caused by damage to the auditory nerves or regions of the brain that interpret sound.
The causes of this disorder are:
- Exposure to loud noise: If you are exposed to loud noises such as the ones emanating from firearms or heavy machinery over a prolonged period, it can lead to tinnitus.
- Aging: Aging can cause progressive loss of hearing, thus triggering tinnitus.
- Blockage of the ear: There is earwax present in the ears, the function of which is to trap dirt and bacteria. Excessive earwax accumulation leads to loss of hearing, resulting in tinnitus.
- Modifications of the ear bone: Any stiffening of the middle bone in the ear could impair your hearing and result in this condition.
Certain factors such as smoking, age, sex (men are prone to this disorder) and heart related disorders increase the risks of being affected by this condition.
The treatment of this condition begins with the identification of the underlying condition, if any. The various treatment options are –
- Removal of earwax: Excess earwax has gotten rid of which can relieve symptoms of tinnitus.
- Suppression of noise: Certain machines, known as white noise machines, produce random sounds such as the sound of rain or the sounds of waves, thus eliminating the ‘hearing’ of sounds which are common to this condition.
- Medications: Certain medications such as alprazolam and nortriptyline can help reduce the severity of the symptoms. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ent-specialist.
I have throat pain, and irritation in the throat. Could you suggest what should be done for this issue?
I am 69 years of age man. I am suffering with buzzing sound in ears. Last time you asked me to get hearing done and it is found by ENT DOC. To be ok. He gave ear drop called WAX OFF. Will you please advise me as it is effecting me mentally. G C Misra.
M having a sore throat from several days. Recently I had a bad exercise n my neck n shoulders were paining d next day. I knew. D reason. Bt since d next day. M experiencing swollen glands on d lateral sides of neck. Tonsils I know bt these are not tonsils. Pains real bad. M not able to understand who to consult an ENT specialist .an orthopedic or a physician. please help.
I am male. My age is sixty years. Puss secrets from my ears. No pain but itching occurs sometimes. so may i know what can i do for that ?
Some liquid dirty is outing my right ear from 6 month. No pain. And also hearing power is low do not listen very good.
Sir, I am 23 years old female. Recently I found my hypothyroidism. I am taking tablets and yoga on daily. And i am having the symptoms of constipation and light dizziness while walking. Is it caused by thyroid or any other reason? how can I avoid this? please give me some suggestions.
My mother is suffering from chronic cold for last 8 years. She had gone through 2 minor operations and allopathic medicines, it seems the cold is driven by some of the allergies and suffering from sinusitis. She had taken anti-allergic medicines recommended by the doctor but no relief as of now and her eyes get swelled and itchiness start happens. Are there any alternative remedies available for us?
Hi, I am suffering from heaviness in ear with earache, sharp headache above eye in forehead and feeling heavy at back head, feeling weak and unable to walk outside with giddiness. Recently my legs started paining and weakness with shivering. Please suggest Currently taking treatment for migraine as one of doctor suggested. Very much confused what is wrong with me, I also have acidity and gastric problem, is that causing this things, no idea. Awaiting for needful answer.
The ear is made up of three parts that is outer, middle and the inner part. Infections, disorders and ailments in the ear can occur across all age groups and in any part of the ear. Ear ailments are more common in children than in adults as the Eustachian tubes (tubes which drain out ear fluid) are smaller in children.
Here are a few common ailments which occur in children:
- Acute otitis media: AOM is the most common ear infection in children. Some parts of the middle ear are infected, resulting in swelling and blockage of fluid behind the eardrum. This condition is characterised by earache in children and in graver conditions, can also cause fever.
- Otitis media with effusion: This condition usually occurs due to the infestation of an infection when the fluid gets restricted behind the ear drum. This condition doesn’t exhibit too many symptoms except mild earache. You should visit an ENT specialist who can diagnose this condition by checking the concentration of fluid behind the eardrum using special instruments.
- Chronic otitis media with effusion: This condition occurs in children when the fluid remains trapped behind the eardrum for a long period of time. It can lead to serious infection and cause problems in hearing in children.
- Barotrauma: Barotrauma occurs due to changes in atmospheric pressure changes. It can cause problems in the Eustachian tube and causes trapping of air in the middle ear. Middle ear problems can become severe if left untreated and result in a burst in the eardrum, causing excessive bleeding.
- Meniere's disease: This is a disorder, which comes in bouts and is characterised by vertigo and fluctuating hearing loss. This condition usually affects one ear. It can result in tinnitus (ringing in the ear) or permanent loss of hearing if left untreated.
- Swimmer’s ear: Swimmer’s ear, also known as otitis externa, is a common condition which is caused in the outer area of the ear. This condition is caused due to remnants of chlorine water in the ear or because of inserting swabs too deep inside the canal. This condition is characterised by earache, discomfort and itching of the ear.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!