Lybrate.com has top trusted Homeopaths from across India. You will find Homeopaths with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Homeopaths online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Bharati Pratap Patil
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Bharati Pratap PatilYour feedback matters!
Pain during intercourse is pain or discomfort in a woman's labial, vaginal, or pelvic areas during or immediately following sexual intercourse. The sensation felt in this region differs from woman to woman, and can include itching, burning, inflammation. Vestibulodynia specifically affects the vestibule, the area inside the inner lips of the vulva where the vagina is found. This region contains the Bartholin’s gland which produces vaginal lubrication, the urethra where you pass urine, and some small minor vestibule glands producing vaginal discharge. It is characterised by pain felt whenever pressure is applied to the vestibular region. It is thus a localised form of vulvodynia, chronic pain in the vulva area.
- The symptoms of Vestibulodynia typically lasts for half or quarter a year. However, in some cases it may last for years, and a lifetime if untreated.
- Most women realize that they suffer from Vestibulodynia during their first sexual experience since the vestibular area is so hypersensitive that even the slightest touch during sexual intercourse, moving while in tight clothing as well as inserting tampons may cause some discomfort and pain.
The degree of pain experienced by women suffering from Vestibulodynia is variable. You may experience pain even after having had comfortable sexual relationships.
- Apart from overgrowth or hypersensitivity of the nerve fibers in that region, other possible causes are tendencies of pain problems or disorders, chronic yeast infections like thrush, injuring the vestibular area during surgery or childbirth and/or extreme sensitivity to irritants like panty liners and detergent etc.
- Sometimes, the pain is due to deeply rooted psychological issues, such as sexual trauma and other factors, such as birth or while moving house.
Vestibulodynia is sometimes mistaken for a type of skin diseases. However for the best treatment, you must consult a gynecologist who will treat your condition depending on your symptoms. Mentioned below a few ways to treat Vestibulodynia:
- Vaginal dilators, which are inserted into the vagina to relax the muscles present and gently stretch that area. Vestibulodynia also causes the pelvic floor muscles to tense up which can be overcome through vaginal dilators.
- Anesthetic Gels are water based gels, which have a small amount of local anesthesia and may numb the sensitive nerve fibers present there temporarily. Rub the gel over the tender areas, half an hour before indulging in sexual activities.
- You may even consume nerve fiber blocking tablets if you experience constant pain due to Vestibulodynia to tend to the sensitive nerve endings in your skin.