Lybrate.com has top trusted Neurologists from across India. You will find Neurologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Pune and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Avanti Biniwale
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Avanti BiniwaleYour feedback matters!
Cerebral palsy refers to a group of neurological disorders that appear in infancy or childhood and permanently affect body movement and muscle co-ordination.
Lack of muscle co-ordination when performing voluntary movements (ataxia)
Stiff or tight muscles and exaggerated reflexes (spasticity)
Walking with one foot or leg dragging
Walking on the toes, a crouched gait, or a'scissored' gait
Muscle tone that is either too stiff or too floppy
Cerebral palsy is usually due to brain damage in the first few months or years of life, brain infections such as bacterial meningitis or viral encephalitis, or head injury.
Ayurveda treatment for cerebral palsy:
Ayurveda has shown very good results in patients of cerebral palsy. Though cerebral palsy may not be fully cured, ayurvedic treatment can definitely help to reduce disability and improve the functioning of the affected individual to a great extent. The ayurvedic treatment of cerebral palsy focuses on treating the presenting symptoms and attempting to reverse the brain damage.
Medicines which help in improving the functional capacity of the brain and may also help in regeneration of damaged brain cells are:
Brahmi (bacopa monnieri)
Mandukaparni (centella asiatica)
Shankhpushpi (convolvulus pluricaulis)
Jyotishmati (celastrus paniculatus)
Kushmand (benincasa hispida)
Ustukhuddus (lavandula stoechas)
Yashtimadhu (glycyrrhiza glabra)
Ashwagandha (withania somnifera)
Shatavari (asparagus racemosus)
Guduchi (tinospora cordifolia)
Vacha (acorus calamus)
Haritaki (terminalia chebula)
Some of these medicines are also useful in preventing or reducing convulsions.
Medicines which helps in the formation of the muscles and tissues are:
Guduchi (tinospora cordifolia)
Amalaki (emblica officinalis)
Musta (cyperus rotundus)
Panch tikta ghrita
Panch tikta ghrita guggul
Pancha gavya ghrita
Medicines are used to improve nerve conduction and muscular co-ordination are:
Vata gajankush ras
Tapyadi loh ras
Panchakarma therapies which are useful in this condition are:
Abhyangam: massage of the entire body with medicated oils like mahanarayan oil, maha-mash-oil and maha-saindhav-oil are very useful.
Yogic postures useful in cerebral palsy are as follows:
Adho mukha svanasana
All these therapies and medicines show miraculous effect on the patients suffering from cerebral palsy.
(p. S: as every human being is different according to ayurveda, all have different cures. So, kindly consult us or an ayurveda doctor before taking any herbal treatments.)
If you have noticed your child to be restless and anxious all the time, it might look cute as the child is highly energetic, but it could be a cause for concern at the same time. It is not normal and the child could be having ADHD that is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. As the name suggests, it is a disorder with deficiency of attention and in which the child is always hyperactive.
ADHD is a disorder in which the symptoms usually show up before the age of seven. It is characterized by a group of behavioral symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. The impact of these symptoms is felt extensively where his overall self-esteem is affected, be it at home, preschool or school, academics or extracurricular activities and in interpersonal relationships.
The most common symptoms, which are almost diagnostic of ADHD are:
- Inability to hold attention: The child's attention span is very short and it is very difficult to keep them engaged on one particular thing.
- Increased restlessness: The child would be extremely restless and gets distracted easily.
- Fidgeting: The child would be seen constantly fidgeting with his fingers.
The following are the less common ones:
- Learning disability is rare, but can happen. However, the good news is that it does not affect the child's intelligence.
- Sleep disorders
- Difficulty in following directions
- Poor executive functioning skills
- Disorganization, which can lead to poor motor coordination and impaired movements
- ADHD kids tend to forget things very easily and need help with coordinating movements
- The child suffering from ADHD could easily tire and/or feel lethargic with very low energy levels. This can lead to the child procrastinating things and not wanting to do things on priority basis
- These children also have difficulties with fine motor and cognitive skills and so there is delay in their overall participation in games.
While these are the pressing symptoms of ADHD, occupational therapy can play a significant role in managing the child in the following ways. As a first step, the caregiver should have a detailed discussion with the school staff and any other people with whom the child interacts significantly.
This will help identify areas that need support from an Occupational Therapy, which are the following:
- Support with gross and/or fine motor skills
- Support with improving handwriting
- Support with engaging in playing sports and games
- Support in engaging in social activities
- Improving sensory processing difficulties
- Improving visual perception
- Support in adapting to the environment
- Teaching strategies to participate in various social and academic activities
So, while an ADHD child is definitely a cause for concern, proper support from family can help manage the condition. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.